Pages: 1 ... 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188320 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3585 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 13:23:58 »

Of course it won't. B&B. Bodgers and bluffers all of them.
But but .... private sector efficiencies .... outsourcing to improve quality ..... world beating ..... we are now paying the price for a slavish ideological commitment to privatising even core public health functions in lives
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3586 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 13:25:40 »

But but .... private sector efficiencies .... outsourcing to improve quality ..... world beating ..... we are now paying the price for a slavish ideological commitment to privatising even core public health functions in lives

I don't understand why there is this obsession with it being 'world beating', most people would be happy if it just fucking existed and worked?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3587 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 13:30:43 »

I don't understand why there is this obsession with it being 'world beating', most people would be happy if it just fucking existed and worked?
It's all part of the petty nationalist British exceptionalism that led to the govt ignoring WHO advice and the evidence of what was happening elsewhere in the world and why we now have over 60,000 dead.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #3588 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 13:53:46 »

It's all part of the petty nationalist British exceptionalism that led to the govt ignoring WHO advice and the evidence of what was happening elsewhere in the world and why we now have over 60,000 dead.

To be fair, I think it’s English exceptionalism. The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish don’t appear to be quite so full of hubris as our lot.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3589 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:04:16 »

To be fair, I think it’s English exceptionalism. The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish don’t appear to be quite so full of hubris as our lot.
Fair point
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3590 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:06:37 »

With it Bank Holiday monday, it is an ideal time to shut all shops and all work (apart from emergency services) for the three days.

Then let's see the count.

Or let's just let everyone fuck off to the beach.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3591 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:16:53 »

I have to say I find this kind of spurious posturing, which is quite irrelevant to the rather serious job in hand, to be vomit-inducing (not lich) and likely premature, anyway.

Do we think the likes of Edison, the Curie siblings or Alexander Fleming postured so needily?
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:19:05 by RedRag » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3592 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:25:02 »

Do we think the likes of Edison, the Curie siblings or Alexander Fleming postured so needily?
It's a very good point given that so much of science these days depends on international collaboration. For example, the "Oxford" vaccine project actually involves scientists collaborating from over 60 different countries, as the scientists themselves are keen to point out but the media and politcians continually play down.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3593 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:29:41 »

Spot on.  I don't think 'British Exceptionalism' exists, to tell the truth.  It's a very English thing.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3594 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:38:43 »

Astonishing report in the usually slavishly pro-Johnson Telegraph: Britain could have avoided three quarters of the Covid19 deaths if we had gone into lockdown a week earlier AND had a shorter and so less economically damaging lockdown. The govt's failure to act, always doing too little too late, has been catastrophic both economically and in terms of the death toll

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/20/earlier-lockdown-could-have-prevented-three-quarters-uk-coronavirus/
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3595 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:41:43 »

It's a very good point given that so much of science these days depends on international collaboration. For example, the "Oxford" vaccine project actually involves scientists collaborating from over 60 different countries, as the scientists themselves are keen to point out but the media and politcians continually play down.

Talking of scientists, I suspect this narrative we are drifting towards of suggesting that the scientists got the science wrong and provided piss poor advice that the government followed will fall on its arse when the government learn that rule 1 of being a scientist, as with any professional role where one has to justify things and be subjected to peer review is to make sure you keep rigorous records and can show your working.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:43:28 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3596 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:47:09 »

Spot on.  I don't think 'British Exceptionalism' exists, to tell the truth.  It's a very English thing.

https://thepinprick.com/2017/12/15/ladybird-libertarians-dan-hannan-paddington-and-the-pernicious-impact-of-1960s-british-propaganda-on-the-brexit-thinkers/
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3597 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 14:59:03 »

Astonishing report in the usually slavishly pro-Johnson Telegraph: Britain could have avoided three quarters of the Covid19 deaths if we had gone into lockdown a week earlier AND had a shorter and so less economically damaging lockdown. The govt's failure to act, always doing too little too late, has been catastrophic both economically and in terms of the death toll

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/20/earlier-lockdown-could-have-prevented-three-quarters-uk-coronavirus/

This would be akin to finding a report in Pravda in the 1930s criticising Stalin.  

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3598 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 15:30:55 »

Johnson in "actually doing the right thing" shock. OK, he tried not to and the U-turn was only forced on him by sustained public and political pressure, but credit where it's due, better to do the right thing eventually than not at all

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1263494074365067264

NB this is a good example of exactly why the idea that the govt should only be subject to scrutiny *after* the crisis is over is wrong. Sometimes that scrutiny can limit the damage of a horrendous decision and cause govt to reconsider when left to their own devices they'd make a massive bolllocks
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 15:34:56 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3599 on: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 15:37:16 »

Johnson in "actually doing the right thing" shock. OK, he tried not to and the U-turn was only forced on him by sustained public and political pressure, but credit where it's due, better to do the right thing eventually than not at all

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1263494074365067264

NB this is a good example of exactly why the idea that the govt should only be subject to scrutiny *after* the crisis is over is wrong. Sometimes that scrutiny can limit the damage of a horrendous decision and cause govt to reconsider when left to their own devices they'd make a massive bolllocks

One thing this crisis has shown is that whilst politicians hate making U turns, the public are generally unbothered about such things if the right thing is being done.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: