Pages: 1 ... 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188213 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3360 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:38:54 »

Sunak's just announced furlough being extended until October, keeping at 80% too. No changes to the scheme until July, but will see some phasing out in July, August, Sept. One of the things the govt have got right in this

It looks like employers will have to top up to the 80%/£2,500 minimum after July, so will have to see how it's phased out but it does sound very reasonable.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3361 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:42:08 »

It looks like employers will have to top up to the 80%/£2,500 minimum after July, so will have to see how it's phased out but it does sound very reasonable.
That could be where we start to see furloughs being converted into redundancies in some instances. As you say, will have to see how it pans out though and obviously it can't continue indefinitely. The fact they're extending it until the end of July I think points to a more realistic timeframe for when we can expect to see widespread lifting of lockdown. I wonder if that's in part timed to coincide with when the school holidays would have started?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3362 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:43:04 »

Strangely, the main criticism seems to be coming from the right wing supporters who feel that extending furlough is somehow giving people something for nothing.

I think the idea when this leaked out that the work shy were getting 'addicted to it' was a dog whistle just to wind them up a bit.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3363 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:47:39 »

Well done to the Government for this.  Unlike the health side of the crisis, I think they've done pretty damn well with the economic side
Completely agree. They've done as well on the economy as they have done badly on health.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3364 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:52:47 »

That could be where we start to see furloughs being converted into redundancies in some instances.

Plenty of historical precedents where after such extreme measures workforces have dropped substantially when employers realise that they can do the job with a much smaller workforce. I know it was already happening in our sector but I suspect this further accelerate the move away from the show piece penis extending office for companies realising that they need a lot less space and fewer ancillary staff to go with it.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3365 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:57:53 »

Plenty of historical precedents where after such extreme measures workforces have dropped substantially when employers realise that they can do the job with a much smaller workforce. I know it was already happening in our sector but I suspect this further accelerate the move away from the show piece penis extending office for companies realising that they need a lot less space and fewer ancillary staff to go with it.

The day of the ever expanding office spaces is gone. If/when  I go back we have 4 floors, about 700 people all hot desking officially (although no one ever moves). For any sort of distancing desks will have to be taken out and walkways created. I'm guessing we'll be closing a floor or two for storage at best
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3366 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:02:16 »

Or the revenue won't be there to support such a large workforce. My company will be making significant redundancies soon, which I've been told this morning and I will likely hear more later on and tomorrow.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3367 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:08:06 »

Or the revenue won't be there to support such a large workforce. My company will be making significant redundancies soon, which I've been told this morning and I will likely hear more later on and tomorrow.

I was thinking more with my historians rather than economists hat on.

Shit, I hope things pan out OK for you.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3368 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:33:44 »

Fingers crossed for you Si!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3369 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 13:21:48 »

Whilst I undoubtedly share his concerns, one would hope he would be similarly troubled by the 50k deaths.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-charles-shares-his-favourite-cheesy-brunch-recipe-11986527
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3370 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 13:59:21 »

Whilst I undoubtedly share his concerns, one would hope he would be similarly troubled by the 50k deaths.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-charles-shares-his-favourite-cheesy-brunch-recipe-11986527
Trying to fend off stiff competition from Harry and Meghan in the "Tone Deaf Royal" stakes. Strong entry there from the veteran adulterer and plant waffler
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 14:08:13 by pauld » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3371 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 15:27:24 »

I would alter Government and say that Sunak (and his team) have pushed through the correct approach (or better than many would expect) during this time.

I mentioned it previously but he is the ony cabinet minister to come out of this with a shred of decency. Tory or not, he can be proud of his own efforts/achievements. One that many in office should look at; calm, measured, relating with public needs, a listener, takes positive action, uncontroversial. Almost the kind of things you want from a World leader...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #3372 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:06:09 »

Maybe once this is over, it'd be a good time to start considering Universal Basic Income?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #3373 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:13:48 »

Staggering the sum of money being borrowed to keep the country more or less in a lockdown situation - apart for it being a longstanding dept - who is holding the tab for the 300 billion? curious to know how this works...anyone know??

Bathtime
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #3374 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:33:54 »

Sunak's just announced furlough being extended until October, keeping at 80% too. No changes to the scheme until July, but will see some phasing out in July, August, Sept. One of the things the govt have got right in this
Again questions need to be asked about the press and where they are getting their info or just making shit up as was everywhere this morning saying it was going to be reduced to 60 percent.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: