Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1199732 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:19:51 »

Is this crazy stockpiling just a Brit thing? I’ve just been down the supermarket here, no queues, nobody piling high their trollies, some - mainly old - people with masks.

Seems to be a Brit and an Australian thing as friends over there are reporting similar.

Can't wait till December when the self inflicted Brexit food issues occur....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:34:24 »

Wow, just fucking wow. The US pharma company that makes a malaria drug that *might* be effective in treating coronavirus put the price up 100% in January when the Chinese started looking at it as a potential treatment. These people should be in jail.

https://www.ft.com/content/b7a21a16-6a1f-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:41:11 »

I have a delivery slot for next week, next one available is mid April  Bad Mood
Which wouldn't be so bad if half the stuff you ordered was actually delivered.
The advice to get food delivered seems to be rapidly breaking down because you can't get the slots and as you say even if you can most of it doesn't get delivered. We had our weekly shop delivered last night, got about 1/4 of what we ordered. No frozen food, no tins, no rice and pasta obviously, very little fruit and veg. So yes it's all well and good the govt issuing the advice to not go out but if food isn't being delivered, it's difficult to see what people can do if they can't rely on help from friends and family.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:43:11 »

I have a delivery slot for next week, next one available is mid April  Bad Mood
Which wouldn't be so bad if half the stuff you ordered was actually delivered.

We had 10 items missing yesterday and we didn't even order very much.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:48:25 »

As small person felt up to it she went to school this morning for the last day.

Got a massive pack of stuff from school to do with her whilst she is off, plus the teachers are going to remain in touch with the kids as appropriate using the net/phone so cannot fault them at all!

Popped into local village shop and chemist on way home, shop had all the essentials (shit loads of milk and bread) whilst the chemist had the calpol I needed and was splitting paracetamol prescription packs and selling them like that as they couldn't get any commercial branded stuff.

So if you want stuff maybe try the small locals rather then the supermarkets, hopefully the panic buying will calm down a bit now the lock down is nearly upon us.

What is this desperate need people have to go to the pub, Jesus this is the one time we are being actively encouraged to stay on the settee watching the telly for everyone's good!

« Last Edit: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:50:29 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:50:50 »

That video on the news of the poor nurse who had just finished a huge shift and popped into her local shop to get her shopping only to see empty shelves was heartbreaking.

Just signed up to do some volunteering locally. Not sure exactly what it is going to involve but even if its to deliver food or hand washing items then at least I can try and be useful.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 10:56:21 »

For all our metal healths!

StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 11:05:58 »

Looks like I am not going to the pub on the weekend now.

Even though my argument still stands. Go in, buy pint, go out sit in the garden. Literally two/three minutes inside.

Sippo, watch this video (1 minute) about how the virus spreads through contact surfaces.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-how-to-protect-yourself/

You’re right, going shopping is an inherent risk and the more people who get the virus, the riskier shop visits will become. But unless we all starve, or there’s another option, people have no choice.

But any other non-essential visit to any other business, building etc is an unnecessary risk which will contribute to spreading this quicker so that we’ll see the levels of death we can’t yet comprehend. It’s that serious.
Flashheart

« Reply #1013 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 11:14:59 »

This chart shows the recovery rate getting worse.

My guess is that it's because Italy's health system is struggling.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 11:28:35 »

Well, thats my work trip to Paris officially off. Not that i was expecting to go but BA have officially canceled the flight now.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #1015 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 11:50:36 »

If 18% of generally older people on the Diamond Princess were asymptomatic - maybe more because not everyone was tested - with a fatality rate of around 1%, how many of us might have or already have had it with no or mild symptoms? Another study of Japanese returnees from Wuhan came up with a figure of 30.8% asymptomatic.

Both of these studies are far from perfect but may offer hope that we are further along than thought. Of course we still need to do everything in our power to slow its spread, because we're already seeing how devastatingly it can overwhelm health services even in developed countries.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1016 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 11:52:54 »

Well, thats my work trip to Paris officially off. Not that i was expecting to go but BA have officially canceled the flight now.

I'm booked on a BA flight next month (Amsterdam), how did you hear about the cancellation?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 12:44:45 »

On a slightly brighter note as if we don't laugh we will cry.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:14:34 »

I'm booked on a BA flight next month (Amsterdam), how did you hear about the cancellation?
They emailed and text me this morning. I've had about 3 emails in the last 2 weeks informing me they've changed the flight time (i guess they were trying to consolidate passengers into a few trips as possible) but today they've just flat out canceled it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:36:48 »

Looks like BJ’s 12 weeks has been blown out of the water. A UK think tank says social distancing needs to be in place for a year - maybe alternating between very strict and more relaxed.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: