Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188288 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:27:00 »

Boris says we can beat this in 12 weeks

That’s us fucked then
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:40:37 »

Not sure that was what he said if you listened to his answers to the subsequent questions

Nothing to see here
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:50:59 »

As evidenced by a small number on this thread, whilst the Govt "advise" people to (e.g) not go to the pub, there are a significant number of folks who will choose to ignore this advice, in spite of the obvious potential consequences for them or others.

The words leadership and Boris really cannot be used in the same sentence (unless to say he has no fucking clue how to lead other than telling folks what he thinks they want to hear). Trumpian leadership in evidence here.

We all need to take this seriously as the Govt do not appear to be doing so

No one kills a thread like me....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:51:45 »

"We don't know where we are, how long this thing will go on for, but what I can say is this is going to be finite, we will turn the tide and I can see how we can do this in the next 12 weeks."
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:53:04 »

I read an insightful thread earlier, re-posted from an Italian Twitter user, which talks about the various stages of misunderstanding and denial their country went through over the last couple of weeks.

Sobering reading for anyone who hasn't yet twigged what could be to come:
https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavirus-outbreak-stages-italy-jason-yanowitz/
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:53:18 »

Supposed to isolating but did an online shop yet the bulk is out of stock, so had to go.
Shops are stripped bare. No bread,milk,toilet rolls, disinfectant or tinned food. Bugger all frozen food either.
Yet was only allowed 3 bottles of coke as no more than 3 items of anything  Embarrassed

Ppl do realise that even on lockdown you will still be able to shop.
Selfish wankers.
Hope half their food spoils
Valid Pint

« Reply #951 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:58:38 »

EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has it now. Probably Johnson's fault.

The gradual phasing in of restrictions in the UK is being cleverly managed. Any cliff edge shutdown would have created a backlash. I think the government is managing the situation well.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 17:59:05 »

"We don't know where we are, how long this thing will go on for, but what I can say is this is going to be finite, we will turn the tide and I can see how we can do this in the next 12 weeks."

When questioned he didn't adequately explain what turning the tide meant...

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 18:05:24 »

When questioned he didn't adequately explain what turning the tide meant...

That reads to me as if they think it could take 12 weeks to stem the rise in cases, which seems reasonable given China and Italy's examples, if they force a lot of the closures.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 18:13:08 »

One might infer that's what he meant but we shouldn't really have to rely on inferences.

Nothing to see here
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 18:16:42 »

I think both Boris and the government have done a rather better job than others are giving them credit for.  Equating his efforts with Trump's disgraceful charade is particularly unfair.

The glaring exception is the failure to close down pubs and restaurants.  I don't understand the rationale.  It allows people to make bad choices and puts the financially desperate owners in an impossible position.
Flashheart

« Reply #956 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 18:24:24 »

Boris is Boris, but the Thai government are all over the place.

Different departments keep on contradicting each other over immigration etc and nobody knows what's going on. I got my visa extended just last week so hopefully I can avoid most of the fuckwittery.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 19:23:02 »

The massive problem with plucking the 12 weeks figure out thin air is that while it's reassuring (and I get that, the nation could do with some reassurance) it also creates a pressure down the line. If in 10-11 weeks' time, social distancing and the more extreme measures that will be coming in the next couple of weeks (we'll need them because people keep going to the pub because they feel fine and it's just a bit of flu) are starting to have an effect and we start to see the peak flatten out, then there will be huge political pressure to open everything up again. And understandably so. The problem comes if that goes against the scientific and medical advice. Johnson has just created his own deadline. I'm not sure I trust him to resist the pressure he has put on himself tonight to do what is right for the country.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 19:28:23 »

The glaring exception is the failure to close down pubs and restaurants. 
And not taking action to ensure key workers can actually feed themselves because by the time they finish their 12 hour shifts trying to save the rest of us the selfish wankers have stripped the shelves bare. And people who rent. And zero hours contract workers. And employees and freelancers in the entertainment sector. And anyone who works for a business that is asking it's employees to work unpaid for the next 4 weeks, 8 weeks, indefinitely. And not testing healthcare workers. And shutting down schools (but keeping them open for key workers) without a plan on how that should be done. And ..... and ..... at the margins, the list goes on. The common theme is that it is those at the bottom that are paying the heaviest price.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 19:32:14 »

The massive problem with plucking the 12 weeks figure out thin air is that while it's reassuring (and I get that, the nation could do with some reassurance) it also creates a pressure down the line. If in 10-11 weeks' time, social distancing and the more extreme measures that will be coming in the next couple of weeks (we'll need them because people keep going to the pub because they feel fine and it's just a bit of flu) are starting to have an effect and we start to see the peak flatten out, then there will be huge political pressure to open everything up again. And understandably so. The problem comes if that goes against the scientific and medical advice. Johnson has just created his own deadline. I'm not sure I trust him to resist the pressure he has put on himself tonight to do what is right for the country.

It's almost like Johnson is winging it.  Extraordinary stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: