Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188694 times)
woolster

« Reply #795 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:02:14 »

being self employed I have started to have a look at what support I would receive if/when I need it,
from what I can see its a bloody mine field and I might be wrong but by the looks of it it wont be much Eek
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:09:51 »

Who knows, there are rumours knocking around up here (source - someone's missus who works in NHS management) that the lock down could be from this evening?

Yeah I've been hearing stuff as well, the school closures friday might be smoke and mirrors and it happens tomorrow

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:17:17 »

I went to Tesco's in Liden and got some milk and the last chunk of cheese they had. Items I needed. Apart from that they had very little. No bread, fresh veg/fruit or eggs etc.
I'm not even trying now for at least a week. Oh I got 48 cans of Carling premier from lawns offy yesterday for £10.99 for 24 cans if anyone's interested. Best before date end of the month.
[/quote
is Carling premier the one like Caffreys :hmmm:if so will get some of those as they are Gurt Lush Smiley

It's the smooth lager with the widget in the can so yes it's the one. So nice out of the fridge and poured in a glass. Go get some

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:24:28 »

Currently sat at avonmouth waiting for my tacho break to end(one EU law I'd love to see scrapped) roads much quieter today which is a welcome bonus of this virus I suppose.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:30:31 »

There’s got to be a tipping point whereby the country will implode on all levels - economic, social etc - when people will just have to go back to doing what they used to and the virus does what it does.

No point everyone continuing to cower in their homes as the country disintegrates around them.

And I say that as someone in an ‘at risk’ group.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #800 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 18:39:58 »

There’s got to be a tipping point whereby the country will implode on all levels - economic, social etc - when people will just have to go back to doing what they used to and the virus does what it does.
Thing is its not just the UK its basically almost all of Europe and a lot of the world.

How long will it take to get back to levels of production again for food/machinery/everything.

That is when it does get back to normal, that could take months with several companies not being able to make it through this crisis putting even more people out of work and on the (no) breadline.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:34:58 »

Currently sat at avonmouth waiting for my tacho break to end(one EU law I'd love to see scrapped)
Outrageous that the EU force our lorry drivers to eat Mexican food!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:37:58 »

I’m going to be without a car for a few weeks from Friday, have very little food in the house and don’t live within walking distance of a supermarket, so going to have to join the 6am crush at Tesco tomorrow to try and do a ‘normal’ big shop

Things get better but they never get good
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:38:51 »

No point everyone continuing to cower in their homes as the country disintegrates around them.

And I say that as someone in an ‘at risk’ group.

If that happens, hundreds of thousands of people will die in the UK according to all public health models and the NHS would be overwhelmed causing people who might not otherwise die, to also die. 

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:42:22 »

Given the global scale and mortality rate, we'd be looking at the Spanish flu being repeated, but with a bigger worldwide population.  Balancing that would be better healthcare facilities, but still the outcome of films.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:43:54 »

I suppose we could do a calculation of the potential financial impact and divide it by the death total, see if to comes to an acceptable cost per person?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:03:15 »

This is very simplistic, but nonetheless shows the variations that can occur through severe and early action:

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-response-cities
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:31:51 »

Currently sat at avonmouth waiting for my tacho break to end(one EU law I'd love to see scrapped) roads much quieter today which is a welcome bonus of this virus I suppose.
Do you drive a V8 Scania with a  frilly pelmet   :gay:
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:32:05 »

We took the decision today to make immediate redundancies and shorten working week after an 80% drop in orders and our major customers told us that everything was on hold for the foreseeable future.   The govt money won't be enough or arrive fast enough - you can't apply for it yet and it's a loan.   There will be alot of businesses in the same boat.
 If it goes on for months will there be anything left apart from Netflix!

Boris said today that he wants to minimise suffering but has the loss of jobs, recession and increases in debt and mental health problems been factored in.

My 2 kids also affected as they have just had GCSEs and A levels cancelled and will now be at home for probably 5-6 months and can't even get a summer job or go bowling.   Daughter has no idea which uni she will end up in or even how that will be decided or if she has to repeat the year.

It is a unique situation but the balance in my opinion has swung too far, too fast.

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:34:05 »

This is very simplistic, but nonetheless shows the variations that can occur through severe and early action:

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-response-cities

With many ignoring the advice not to go to the pub, I expect matters will be moved from strongly advise to havent got a choice with everything shut down apart from food shops and pharmacies by Friday night.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: