Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188253 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:15:04 »

Mikel Arteta has it now. Full Arsenal squad in quarantine
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:21:47 »

Mikel Arteta has it now. Full Arsenal squad in quarantine

that's the behind closed doors plan out the window.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:29:02 »

Emergency Premier League meeting tomorrow now.

That’ll be saturday off then
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:34:27 »

I have no knowledge on what may happen in warmer months that would add anything to the discussion.  What seems very likely though is that the Western world will struggle to contain this in the way China were eventually able to.  So, even if it does dissipate in the summer, at the current rate of infection, that could still be a massive impact in countries like the USA (which still isn't really testing anyone, let alone preventing the spread - although private business & organisations appear spooked enough to do stuff without being told now).

Oh for sure a global economic domino effect is happening now. I do feel that world powers are still talking with their fiscal heads on as opposed to their health heads. I don't doubt they have their opinions on potential deaths etc. but feel more that they are more concerned on economic effects.

All it really shows is how weak a westernised world is in terms of the material elements and make up of our society. This results in the parts of our species panic buying anything and acting irrationally. That is in part at the hands of MSM to blame. On the plus, it also shows that we do have the frameworks in place to recover from catastrophe. I still would personally question if we had to deal with something much more dangerous (what that is/could be, I'm not certain at this moment in time), whether we should be capable of recovering.

It's easy to criticise governments of course and in the case of a pandemic I think we all have to put our allegiances aside and work together (I'm talking parliament here). Currently I think the UK government are doing as much as they need to, under guidance from those better informed. I don't know enough about the US Gov to know if (again allegiances aside) they are doing similar. News stories tell us one thing over here but that may be very different to the actuality. Much like the picture in Italy. Responses at present seem to be very stereotypical of said nations. UK Gov- Keep calm and carry on. Italy Gov - Passionately erratic...and so on.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:39:10 »

Emergency Premier League meeting tomorrow now.

That’ll be saturday off then

Will probably have the ridiculous scenario (because two separate entities) where the Premier League call off their matches and the EFL ones go ahead. That would just be laughable but I won't be shocked if that were to arise.

'Incessant Nonsense'

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 22:57:39 »

Will probably have the ridiculous scenario (because two separate entities) where the Premier League call off their matches and the EFL ones go ahead. That would just be laughable but I won't be shocked if that were to arise.

I can see it happening for now. If no EFL players or management are affected carry on. before Arteta they were prepared to let it roll. It will only take one case though to make it all stop. Even behind closed doors won’t stop unless players and management effectively self isolate together between games with no family contact.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 23:00:54 »

F1 finally officially off.  talk about last minute,
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 23:20:59 »

F1 finally officially off.  talk about last minute,

I swear I heard on Ch4 News that it was cancelled and that was around 7.30pm. Still 7 or 11 makes little odds to people who travelled to Straya. Not a cheap spectator sport.

Think Hamilton spoke a lot of sense saying I don't get why we are even here, considering the circumstances. Of course, his team pulled out beforehand. Something like F1 at least is a little easier to schedule even if an inconvenience. They can afford to put a race into one of the free weeks in the calendar or extend/stagger their season if necessary.

'Incessant Nonsense'

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 05:09:18 »

I would say the reason it hasn't so much is temperature related. It doesn't like anything too warm an also by accounts doesn't like extreme cold either. Loves that kind of temperate fridgy temp of around 6 to 12 celsius.

Not correct with this one

"However, she said having sports events played behind closed doors could be counterproductive as it might instead lead people to gathering in pubs "in the warmth, where viruses love it"."
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 05:41:47 »

Not correct with this one

"However, she said having sports events played behind closed doors could be counterproductive as it might instead lead people to gathering in pubs "in the warmth, where viruses love it"."

Who are you quoting here? Also, there's a difference to a load of infected people meeting "in the warmth" passing it around. Allowing it to gestate. To a naturally higher temperature caused by a geographical location. Somewhere where it is eternally late spring/early Summer. The virus won't be strong enough to likely show few symptoms.

This isn't some totally unbeknown bug. It has a lot of similarities to Flu and of course other Coronavirae(uses??). It just happens that they don't have a vaccine for it. Yet.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 08:56:04 »

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:07:45 »

Who are you quoting here? Also, there's a difference to a load of infected people meeting "in the warmth" passing it around. Allowing it to gestate. To a naturally higher temperature caused by a geographical location. Somewhere where it is eternally late spring/early Summer. The virus won't be strong enough to likely show few symptoms.

This isn't some totally unbeknown bug. It has a lot of similarities to Flu and of course other Coronavirae(uses??). It just happens that they don't have a vaccine for it. Yet.
The plural is viruses
https://www.grammar-monster.com/plurals/plural_of_virus.htm
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #402 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:10:23 »

Overnight 2 friends have been diagnosed with this down here in Somerset/Dorset, I haven't seen them for a few week so am probably safe, only a few friends in common and I have not been in contact with them either for a few weeks.

Not overly concerned but I am on the "at risk" list, its wierd going from not concerned at all to being mildly concerned about my own health in a matter of a few hours.

The green "all is fine" warning bulb has been switched onto a slightly flickering amber bulb now for me!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:12:42 »

Its been a tough 24 hours for The Mail.

Yesterday

Today
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 09:19:49 »

Overnight 2 friends have been diagnosed with this down here in Somerset/Dorset, I haven't seen them for a few week so am probably safe, only a few friends in common and I have not been in contact with them either for a few weeks.

Not overly concerned but I am on the "at risk" list, its wierd going from not concerned at all to being mildly concerned about my own health in a matter of a few hours.

The green "all is fine" warning bulb has been switched onto a slightly flickering amber bulb now for me!

We apparently have it 'in the village', much as yourself I am on the vulnerable list, but actually looking online from the normal expert organisations there seems to be no evidence at the moment that it interacts with my condition, of greater concern is my missus who has asthma albeit not chronic so fingers crossed.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: