Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188764 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:37:44 »

Cobra meeting expected outcome: status expected to move from "containment" to "delay". If situation worsens, it may be escalated to "faffing" and once the bodies are piling up in the streets, we could possibly escalate still further to "fiddling while Rome burns"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:46:13 »

Shouldn't every country just stop all people leaving and entering until this virus is under control?
It's been spread by people travelling so just stop that. Am I missing something here or what?

It's too late for that now - the rate of spread in Communities is where it is now coming from - it seems, from reports, like it's not carrying much out in the open, but once you get confined locations with a carrier, it seems to spread like wildfire.  There was a lawyer in NYC who appears to have given the virus to at least 50 direct contacts, and a conference where over 70 attendees have contracted it, not to mention the nursing home that now has a lot of spare beds in Washington State.

It's now time to move to protect people who would likely get very sick and avoid a stampede at the Hospitals.  You can't stop it, but you can slow it's progress to those who would need hospital care.  You should probably be taking over large buildings as well, to act as field hospitals.  I know people will say it's over reacting, but the reality is that Hospitals do not carry large over capacity, so it doesn't actually take much to overwhelm them on top of every day needs to be in one.  While a number of viruses have spread in the past without huge death tolls, there is often a hidden impact of increased mortality from other causes at the same time due to that strain.
Flashheart

« Reply #347 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:49:41 »

not to mention the nursing home that now has a lot of spare beds in Washington State.

Well, that's good timing considering the circumst...

Oh!
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:50:46 »

They will shut down just to reduce the risk.

If this does happen, internet usage will go through the roof. People won't be able to work from home because of contention.

The NHS, already crumbling, is going to really struggle. There are face masks, but not all staff can use them and they don't fit all staff. Staff have to have some vigorous tests on the equipment before use. We are not equipped enough.

Who say's the NHS is crumbling ?.  My wife is a nurse and they have responded very positively. Yes they are under massive pressure and hopefully the govenment will support the NHS.
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:52:14 »

I wonder is football will be suspended in this country ?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 13:02:08 »

I wonder is football will be suspended in this country ?

Been suspended all season in bournemouth
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 13:42:55 »

Who say's the NHS is crumbling ?.  My wife is a nurse and they have responded very positively. Yes they are under massive pressure and hopefully the govenment will support the NHS.

My wife is also a nurse. They are all underpaid, overworked. Patients in hallways etc. It is overstretched. All staff have responded positively, but they will struggle. They need the help. A&E have 13 bank shifts available just for saturday. It's crazy.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 13:46:24 »

Who say's the NHS is crumbling ?.  My wife is a nurse and they have responded very positively. Yes they are under massive pressure and hopefully the govenment will support the NHS.
I think he was talking over the last decade rather than the immediate response to coronavirus. The Italian media were using horrified stories of patients being treated in corridors to demonstrate how bad the crisis had got there - that's been normal here for years. Don't underestimate the impact of years of underfunding
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 15:34:17 »

I know people are going to get all "timmy tantrum" with me and while I agree, the most vulnerable (elderly/those with underlying conditions) should be our priority in keeping safe. Yet isn't it just common sense that we do all the time during Flu/bug season? "Oh I won't go and see your Nanna who has Emphysema as I've got a cough myself. Don't want to risk it." We do it all the time. This is no different in that respect.

Yet here is the kicker. Yes I'm aware this is a highly contagious pathogen but it is only deadly mostly to those most vulnerable, like most things. We may contract it. Likely a lot of us have had a cold/sniffle/man flu/full blown flu/the shits etc. Yes we've contracted something and our body has dealt with it over the course of a couple to few weeks. Same again, if I say "Oh I've had the shits the last few days John, don't get too close." the  response is likely "Ffs mate, I'll keep my distance. I don't want that!"

But here we are, closing down society, showing the very midst of what George Orwell wrote about fictionally and Professor Jared Diamond wrote about roughly 20 years ago, regarding societal collapse. No doubt others have too. Society being vulnerable to falling, when we remove just a few links in the chain of a modern (westernised) society. I'm not for one minute saying Covid-19 is a load of shit (other bacteria are available) but we have been 'happy' to allow Influenza to continually wreak havoc for years upon years. My point is, we actually have vaccines (that have to be adapted from season to season) for Influenza and yet it still kills a fuck ton of people annually. Already in USA alone, Flu has killed 16k+ people since December to Feb.

Now again, I'm not saying one dick is bigger than the other. I agree with some of the steps government have taken and largely done so in a controlled manner. I'm quite surprised. I expected BoJo to have come out all Trumponian claiming we are the 2nd best most prepared country and that alone will stop a virus from spreading. Less on Farage the better.

I'm looking at this from a media viewpoint. The way the MSM are reporting pretty much every single "positive case" for Covid-19 here, as if every one of those people are going to die. If the media reported nearly every positive Flu case, well they couldn't, there are so many. Even if the media tried to report all Flu deaths, the news would just be full of it. They'd have to report c200 Flu deaths per day in the USA (just for December to Feb).

So my conclusion is, with Flu also being highly contagious yet somewhat controlled by a vaccine; how come the world has been seemingly happy to go about their lives quite normally, while 100s of thousands of people die from flu every year? Happy to get on public transport, go to packed public events, fill shopping malls every weekend with H1N1 spores flying around like some kind of erratic phlegm aids. Is it social conditioning? Is this yet another way of controlling the masses with FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt), via media?

The human species by design is very "pack" oriented and largely prefers to be led or told what to do (there are exceptions). Even if that leader isn't so great. Even if those that lead don't even tell the truth or feed us obscure information (a boss at work for e.g), We have our doubts from time to time but we don't want to been seen as irrational or difficult. Mostly for fear of looking stupid or having a different viewpoint within the popular societal consensus. So as long as we are being told what to do, when to be there, etc. We, for the most part are fine with being led. Maybe Orwell was on to something and possibly Pfr Diamond too.

Feel free to come and pick apart the bits that don't sit right with you or you disagree with. Likewise feel free to provoke thought and discuss, as we do. On a totally unrelated part -i'm still impressed that Grospot Nob went so long without noticing such a change. Good work, even if immature Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 15:39:12 »

We know how bad Flu is

We don’t know how bad Coronavirus could be or, more importantly, know for sure how it’s spread

That’s it isn’t it??

Edit, after reading that missive properly. You answered it yourself. We know how flu works. There’s a vaccine for flu to allow vulnerable people to be treated ahead of time, minimising the impact. Hence, little concern

We don’t know how coronavirus works. We don’t have a vaccine for it, so the only way to minimise the impact on vulnerable people is to take these measures to stop the virus from spreading too far. It’s really not rocket science

Once a vaccine is developed and we have a better understanding of the disease, then instead of having a cold and flu season, we’ll have a cold flu and coronavirus season, and id imagine things will be back to the ‘normal’ you describe. But we’re not there yet are we

« Last Edit: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 15:44:34 by Bogus Dave » Logged

Things get better but they never get good
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 15:59:20 »

Collymore suggesting that it’s going to be announced tomorrow that the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors with season ticket holders able to stream games.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 16:03:01 »

Until some players get sick and teams withdraw. This season will be suspended at some point. Fuck knows what that'll mean for promotion and relegation but I bet we get fucked over.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 16:06:49 »

Collymore suggesting that it’s going to be announced tomorrow that the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors with season ticket holders able to stream games.

PV will need to start charging for his match text commentaries.  Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
adje

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 16:15:56 »

Maybe a wrongful comparison but I don't remember total shutdown during the Sars outbreak, which if I do remember was a far more serious virus.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 16:21:00 »

Isnt that what he said at 11pm last night
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: