Pages: 1 ... 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1203833 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7095 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 18:33:54 »

My kids school had 324 pupils on roll at the start of the school year. The school announced this week that 120 are still in school at the moment.

That's also after the school putting out a thank you to parents who "reviewed their position" to continue sending their children to school. Now, I may just live in an area with a high prevalence of critical workers and vulnerable kids, but still it's fucking ridiculous.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #7096 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 18:38:28 »

Not being an argumentative twat, just trying to cheer up a depressed wife and 7 year old, is a 14 mile drive for a walk on the beech a reasonable travel in the present climate?

I wouldn't do it but I have followed what the man has told me and have only left the house a handful of times since Christmas.

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7097 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 18:56:07 »

Haven't you got any trees closer to you? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Nah just Ashes
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7098 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 19:04:09 »

Quote from: horlock07
Not being an argumentative twat, just trying to cheer up a depressed wife and 7 year old, is a 14 mile drive for a walk on the beech a reasonable travel in the present climate?

we both know you shouldn't if following the spirit of the law.

to the letter of the law though I'm sure it's legal as there are no limits set as to 'local area'

that said, plod are getting more interactive down here at popular spots, dishing out fines. which would be a ball ache.

ah, fuck it.  this post was pointless. it's your choice
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #7099 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 21:19:06 »

we both know you shouldn't if following the spirit of the law.

to the letter of the law though I'm sure it's legal as there are no limits set as to 'local area'

that said, plod are getting more interactive down here at popular spots, dishing out fines. which would be a ball ache.

ah, fuck it.  this post was pointless. it's your choice

If it was 4-5 miles, you might get away with it. The distance your considering is asking for trouble.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7100 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 21:40:45 »

I could quite easily walk anywhere between 15 - 20 miles as part of a daily walk and I know that I will come in to contact with very few (if any other) people. I can see no real reason why you shouldn't be allowed to do similar, even if that meant driving an initial chunk before your walk.

Context is a fine thing...some nosey cunts will tell you that you are from the seed of satan, others won't be fussed. I would say a more sensible approach if you do/did go, just take your masks and apply them if/when you know there are other people present.

My own assessment is that you are a fairly measured and sensibe human. These are rare in our species. I hope you enjoy(ed) your walk.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #7101 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 21:59:53 »

Personally, I have adopted a very restrictive approach to what is within my local area.

Nothing to see here
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7102 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 22:17:51 »

Go for it, especially it will do them some good

Family first
Wow! Surprised at this response.

I was also surprised at the question (if it was genuine)

Of course it's not right to drive 14 miles to the beach! If everyone else who lived within 14 miles of that beach decided to do the same would not the odds of catching the virus go up significantly?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7103 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 22:49:35 »

Personally, I have adopted a very restrictive approach to what is within my local area.

I think that is absolutely fine on a personal stance. How one carries out their "local area" assessment should certainly be a personal one and not to the point of bending rules to almost snapping. There will always be people who take the piss a few steps further. This will happen when things are left to some form of interpretation.

Context also comes down to what is considered as "normal" for an individual. To me, walking 15+miles is "normal", to someone else who regularly rides a bike 50+miles is "normal". It may be that they won't really think anything of it. It's more those who suddenly use it as a way to "interpret"; ones who probably wouldn't normally walk further than to the car to get to the local takeaway. I certainly consider any walking route I plan and try to anticipate if I would come into contact with a more than normal number of people. From a personal but minorly selfish POV, I think of all my "lockdown hikes" I have seen less people collectively than I have when visiting a supermarket just once.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7104 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 22:56:24 »

Wow! Surprised at this response.

I was also surprised at the question (if it was genuine)

Of course it's not right to drive 14 miles to the beach! If everyone else who lived within 14 miles of that beach decided to do the same would not the odds of catching the virus go up significantly?

I think if wearing a mask (or you may be fined) for these outdoor trips was mandatory (like it is for a supermarket trip) then I can't see what the overly huffing is about it. I still think going shopping/into town etc is much much higher risk for contagion than a walk in the countryside or on the beach...especially in Winter. August Bank Hol, absolutely different story when folk might be displaying their "wares" and "warts".

We are all now at a point where we have an informed choice and personally I will not be overtly selfish about that informed choice but I will make a sensible decision when it comes to taking a walk because...well see opening paragraph. Horlock, as far as I am aware, is not a complete dickhead. I'm sure he will practice what he feel is safe for his family and himself, as well as also considering the welfare of others.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7105 on: Thursday, January 21, 2021, 06:41:03 »

I think if wearing a mask (or you may be fined) for these outdoor trips was mandatory (like it is for a supermarket trip) then I can't see what the overly huffing is about it. I still think going shopping/into town etc is much much higher risk for contagion than a walk in the countryside or on the beach...especially in Winter. August Bank Hol, absolutely different story when folk might be displaying their "wares" and "warts".

We are all now at a point where we have an informed choice and personally I will not be overtly selfish about that informed choice but I will make a sensible decision when it comes to taking a walk because...well see opening paragraph. Horlock, as far as I am aware, is not a complete dickhead. I'm sure he will practice what he feel is safe for his family and himself, as well as also considering the welfare of others.
Walking 15 miles is a different argument - Not many people do that/can do that. Therefore, if you are walking 15 miles into/through a low densely populated area then the risk is relatively low. But, again, if you are walking into a tourist attraction, thats a bit different! More people will think to do that (because its nice) -  From those who can walk miles to get there to those who will jump in a car to break lockdown rules to go somewhere nice.

I went out cycling on Sunday - Did 25 rather than my normal 60+ miles and stayed local (5-7 mile radius of my house) in back lanes (for my and others safety) that I have cycled lots. I was surprised to see so many walkers - Never seen any on those roads before! It was in countryside on the edge of a city and everyone was flocking there in relatively large 'clumps' of people. I also live near a park - Used to see very few people there. Now its mobbed, so I try to stay away and exercise elsewhere.

So, I wasn't picking on Horlock, or anyone else. Just pointing out that the rules/guidelines are there for a reason. Everyone and everyone's family are finding it tough. Everyone is thinking the same. We would all like to go somewhere nice. But, in an Animal Farm sort of way, some pigs should not be more equal than others.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #7106 on: Thursday, January 21, 2021, 07:11:15 »

It's a matter of common sense, isn't it?

Is it okay to travel a short distance down the road to what is going to be a sparsely at best populated beach, in NW England in January, during a pandemic of a virus that only seems to really spread in confined spaces?

We're all entitled to our own opinions but add in the mental health of your family and I would say absolutely, yes.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7107 on: Thursday, January 21, 2021, 09:03:05 »

FWIW the bit about a a seriously depressed wife and child was entirely true, the rest rather tongue in cheek having taken wine off the back of a particularly shit home schooling day, albeit due to being in the sticks if we were to choose to go for a supermarket shop the distance would be further and include driving past the end of the road to the beech!

For reasons that I cannot put my finger on we have found this lockdown considerably tougher than the ones that have preceded it, not sure whether its the weather or what...

TBH if we did decide to go to the beech I would just look on line, find a house for sale in the village and claim we were going to take a look at that, this seems to be the loophole most are using.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7108 on: Thursday, January 21, 2021, 09:06:30 »

In Ireland they actually implemented the rules with actual distances. I think currently the furthest away you can be from your home is 'no more than 5km'.

Don't ask me what happens if your home is more than 5km to the nearest food store, I presume that is acceptable if you are doing an essential shop.

The rules are far to open to interpretation in the UK, hence the last page on here as to whether a 14 mile walk to a beach is 'acceptable' or not. Of course there are other factors in play as well, mental health etc, perhaps the well being of a person needs to be considered, whereby the beach is a key factor.

In short, who fucking knows!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7109 on: Thursday, January 21, 2021, 09:13:59 »

whether a 14 mile walk to a beach is 'acceptable' or not.

Just for the record I was never suggesting walking 14 miles to the sodding beach, with a moaning 7 year old that would hardly help anyone's mental health!

FWIW I could actually walk to the beech in about 5 miles, albeit that would include walking across the sands (remember the Chinese Cocklers) which could bring the coastguard into the equation, have done it one but that was with the Queens Guide!
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: