Pages: 1 ... 464 465 466 [467] 468 469 470 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1204766 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6990 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:45:15 »

Why is anyone going to the supermarket? Any remotely digital savvy person can do their grocery shop online.

The big supermarkets have capacity for around 750k to 1m slots a week. Best guess is 5m slots a week for let's say 3 people on average, that covers 15m people for their weekly shop. What about the other 51m?
Panda Paws

« Reply #6991 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:49:18 »

Have you ever tried to see anything form someone else's point of view before?

It was a question, and some people made good points in response, rather than get pissy for no reason.

I see the world through my own experiences. I've not had unfulfilled orders or problems getting slots.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6992 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:52:43 »

My elderly father in lockdown 1 accepted that we would sort him out an online shop from up here, which we did and now he does it all himself and he is hardly IT savvy, the thing is all a question of compromise and sacrifice, I enjoy going to the pub yet have not set foot in one since February, we all have to make compromises for the common good, read social media and the whole argument seems to be 'why aren't those wankers following the rules' rapidly followed by the same people stating 'I am not keeping to the rules because they inconvenience me'.

The whole mental health thing is weird also as its not a question of either/or, yes mental health is a concern, but should we fuck up peoples physical health just because of it? It seems to have become a cause celeb for the anti-lock downers, who in many cases are of a right wing persuasion who have been voting for the mental health system to be decimated for years yet now are suddenly very concerned about it. Spoke to my neighbour who is a mental health nurse at the start of lockdown 1, they were/are worried sick about the effects, but also equally mindful of the wider effects on mental health if you go and see Great Aunt Mabel as she cannot be alone, give her covid which you didn't know you had and then she dies leading to metal heath issues throughout the family.

I will leave it to Kathy Burke as she is much more eloquent than me.. https://twitter.com/KathyBurke/status/1346411132823744512?s=20

Kathy is absolutely right.

I spent the 2nd lockdown living alone, fuck me. You honestly have to experience it to really understand and that was only what a month or so from memory? Thankfully me and the bird are back together now so I don’t have to go through that again

It’s all about finding the correct balance IMO with regard to single households, a tricker task than many realise and i don’t think there is a hard and fast answer.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6993 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 10:58:04 »

I've not had unfulfilled orders

You might this week by the sounds of it with fruit and veg! we know that’s the fault of something else though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6994 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:07:52 »

It was a question, and some people made good points in response, rather than get pissy for no reason.

I see the world through my own experiences. I've not had unfulfilled orders or problems getting slots.
IIRC you live in or near London.  Maybe your local supermarkets are better staffed or possibly have a higher proportion of their customers doing in person shopping, leaving more delivery slots free? Certainly in the Swindon area it's been patchy at best to nigh on impossible at times getting delivery slots.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6995 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:10:47 »

Its almost impossible to get any supermarket home deliveries down here in South Somerset, and when we do we have about 20+ replacements. You have to book a slot about 4 weeks in advance, its got worse since this latest lockdown.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #6996 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:11:50 »

IIRC you live in or near London.  Maybe your local supermarkets are better staffed or possibly have a higher proportion of their customers doing in person shopping, leaving more delivery slots free? Certainly in the Swindon area it's been patchy at best to nigh on impossible at times getting delivery slots.

Yeah maybe - that's why I asked. Purely on my own experiences, I can't fathom why anyone would go to the supermarket at the best of times, let alone in the middle of pandemic.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6997 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:17:27 »

Yeah maybe - that's why I asked. Purely on my own experiences, I can't fathom why anyone would go to the supermarket at the best of times, let alone in the middle of pandemic.

I'd certainly agree with that as a preference, got far better things to be doing with my time, but have spent more time in supermarkets over the past 10 months than at any time in the past decade. Needs must.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6998 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:19:13 »

Indeed, we have been avoiding supermarkets for about 7 years now, god awful places. One advantage of that is that as Mrs Horlock07 pay for a yearly delivery pass from Asda she can and has applied for a guaranteed slot each week which has worked in both lockdowns.

FWIW whilst we are more sparsely populated up here, we are also obviously much more sparsely supermarketed (nearest one is over 20 mins drive away) whilst it was tricky its never been impossible to get a slot (sometimes have to look around to find one at either Tesco/Asda/Morrisons/sainsburys) but usually one somewhere (this was in lockdown 1 when for the first few weeks Asda fucked it up), plus for the elderly/at risk they get priority at least at sainsburys, I know for instance that my old mans priority hopping has at times come from a Swindon store and he lives near Witney.

Long and short is people need to get organised and think ahead (this is really not helped by this happening on top of the Brexit fuck up, albeit its a good way for the government to hide/blame that shit show), people need to start thinking of others and not just how things affect them alone its hardly fucking rocket science. 
« Last Edit: Monday, January 11, 2021, 11:22:10 by horlock07 » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6999 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 14:48:25 »

What's this rumour about only being allowed out of the house once a week that the likes of Gary Neville have been posting about? That can't be under serious consideration surely?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7000 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 14:56:12 »

I'd imagine they throw everything onto the table. most of which will be dismissed .

the cynic in me says they are leaking the contents of said table to try and scare the public into doing what they should be doing

Ignore
« Reply #7001 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:06:53 »

Not easy to get delivery slots at all. You have to book well in advance and then change your choices the night before according to my mum who's been doing it since March.
Personally I go shopping very early once a week. Only problem is some of the idiot worker's who invade your space doing people's home shopping for them  Wink
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7002 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:33:06 »

I'd imagine they throw everything onto the table. most of which will be dismissed .

the cynic in me says they are leaking the contents of said table to try and scare the public into doing what they should be doing

That's the way this government has been governing since day 1 (pre-covid) they comes up with an idea leak to the press through journalists courtesans like Peston and LK and see what the public say, then they make a policy decision, quite literally classic Dom.

Not easy to get delivery slots at all. You have to book well in advance and then change your choices the night before according to my mum who's been doing it since March.

T'was always like that even pre-covid, to claim a slot you have to have £'x' in your basket, my missus has always done that by putting 3-4 wine boxes in the basket and then revising nearer the date, leading to a couple of times when she has forgotten to revise and we have had a very boozy week!
« Last Edit: Monday, January 11, 2021, 15:35:41 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7003 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 16:10:43 »

Well there you go, Supermarket sticks head above parapet....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55618408
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7004 on: Monday, January 11, 2021, 16:16:29 »

great news. that's the closest supermarket
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 466 [467] 468 469 470 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: