Pages: 1 ... 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1194935 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6345 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 12:56:10 »

tbh I wasn't even thinking about the number of cases just the sheer level of disruption caused to classes etc. It's chaotic, that's not the school's fault, they're only following the guidance but seems like half the school is being sent home to self-isolate at any given time, they can't run lessons like that. They'd be better off just shutting the school and doing it all online, at least then everyone would know where they stand.
I am working a second job at the moment booking in Covid tests and believe me it is the schools fault a lot of the time. I am in total shock at the amount of people requesting tests with no symptoms, it is a real eye-opener. Doctors are fobbing people off telling them they need to get a test with no symptoms, teachers asking for tests every day to make sure and parents being told they have to get a test done because someone in the school tested positive
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6346 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 13:04:33 »

I am working a second job at the moment booking in Covid tests and believe me it is the schools fault a lot of the time. I am in total shock at the amount of people requesting tests with no symptoms, it is a real eye-opener. Doctors are fobbing people off telling them they need to get a test with no symptoms, teachers asking for tests every day to make sure and parents being told they have to get a test done because someone in the school tested positive

From my experience schools are only following the DfE advice as they are terrified they will be blamed if they don't.

Pubs and supermarkets are the bigger problem imo but who knows i suppose. Agree what you say about how it's being run

Popped to a supermarket yesterday on way home from dentist*. Seemed little different to previous albeit the sad thing was it made me realise that seeing everyone wearing masks has just become the norm , amazing how quickly the incongruous becomes normalised.

* Ah the dentists, as we had had a number of check up appointments cancelled, when they said they could honour this appointment we went for it as it was looking like April before they could fit us in.

I genuinely feel for them as its a bit of a nightmare to manage the waiting rooms etc, but what has peeved me a bit is that off the back of it I need a scale and polish (as I always do). They cannot do that as part of the check up appointment like they always have at the moment as it includes spayed aerosol in your mouth which is a risk, entirely understood. So I will need a separate appointment, which I may have to pay for at private rates for it to be done.

Not their fault but got on my tits a bit, mood not helped by them discovering that one of our 7 year olds baby teeth is regressing back into her gum, which means a referral to an orthodontist and possible extraction, cue very scared 7 year old, do they still give kids gas rather than a jab to knock them out?!!
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6347 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 13:22:46 »

From my experience schools are only following the DfE advice as they are terrified they will be blamed if they don't.

Popped to a supermarket yesterday on way home from dentist*. Seemed little different to previous albeit the sad thing was it made me realise that seeing everyone wearing masks has just become the norm , amazing how quickly the incongruous becomes normalised.

* Ah the dentists, as we had had a number of check up appointments cancelled, when they said they could honour this appointment we went for it as it was looking like April before they could fit us in.

I genuinely feel for them as its a bit of a nightmare to manage the waiting rooms etc, but what has peeved me a bit is that off the back of it I need a scale and polish (as I always do). They cannot do that as part of the check up appointment like they always have at the moment as it includes spayed aerosol in your mouth which is a risk, entirely understood. So I will need a separate appointment, which I may have to pay for at private rates for it to be done.

Not their fault but got on my tits a bit, mood not helped by them discovering that one of our 7 year olds baby teeth is regressing back into her gum, which means a referral to an orthodontist and possible extraction, cue very scared 7 year old, do they still give kids gas rather than a jab to knock them out?!!
That is the issue though , they are not allowed tests without symptoms it's as simple as that. These schools are telling parents that they are not allowed back to school without a test . That is shit regarding the dentist appotment mate it's horrific for so many at the moment
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6348 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 14:00:10 »

Well that's not what's happening at my lad's school, at least as regards advice to parents. They are just telling kids to isolate, only get tests if symptomatic and seem to be following the advice to the letter as far as I can see.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6349 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 14:15:17 »

Well that's not what's happening at my lad's school, at least as regards advice to parents. They are just telling kids to isolate, only get tests if symptomatic and seem to be following the advice to the letter as far as I can see.
I glad that is the case, it's going to get worse when people think they can use the same service when they get back from holidays and try to use it for the 5 days release rule
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6350 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 14:38:09 »

One benefit that may come from the normality of wearing masks/face coverings in the UK and elsewhere, is that this should dramatically reduce the stigma (thanks in part to several comments from high influencing and enabling "politicians" in the past) surrounding people who choose to wear a Niqab (most will recognise the more general term of Hijab).

If I were a practising Muslim, I'd be having a little chuckle under mine quite smugly now  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #6351 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 06:24:07 »

Oh dear, oh dear
https://www.ft.com/content/4583fbf8-b47c-4e78-8253-22efcfa4903a

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6352 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 06:46:04 »

paywalled, but I assume it's this and relates to the 90% claim only being true for u55

https://www.lse.co.uk/news/press-doubts-raised-over-astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-data-ft-q2zgy57w5ccvl54.html

hopefully the 70% is still valid
Hunk

« Reply #6353 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 07:00:09 »

paywalled, but I assume it's this and relates to the 90% claim only being true for u55

https://www.lse.co.uk/news/press-doubts-raised-over-astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-data-ft-q2zgy57w5ccvl54.html

hopefully the 70% is still valid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/manufacturing-error-clouds-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-study-results/

Pretty sure this is the same story, no paywall (unless I've inadvertently subscribed to the Telegraph)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6354 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 07:03:26 »

oh
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6355 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:30:02 »

The FT story, de-paywalled:

https://archive.fo/beZhS

The Telegraph one:

https://archive.fo/JoXaI

If the 90% figure is in doubt, then the 70% overall also doesn't hold as that was arrived at as an average of the 90% subgroup and the 62% main group. Should be noted by the way that apparently 62% is still higher than lots of vaccines that are in common use and deemed effective, e.g. the flu vaccine which has efficacy % in the 50s IIRC (can't remember the exact number, it was on the Tim Harford vaccine programme and remember it being in the 50s)
Hunk

« Reply #6356 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 11:24:27 »

Tier 2 for Swindon it is then. The hospitality industry is fucked for at least another three weeks.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18900372.coronavirus-tier-2-confirmed-swindon/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6357 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 11:45:27 »

Full list of tier 1 areas

South East
Isle of Wight

South West
Cornwall
Isles of Scilly
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6358 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 12:30:10 »

wow
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6359 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 12:53:25 »

Isn't tier 2 basically lockdown anyway, can't mix with anyone outside your household inside unless you are working or a cash register is there/
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: