Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1202968 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6015 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 09:28:40 »

They are going to need a bigger manufacturing facility.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6016 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:22:58 »

this is a bit of a worry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

but I guess even if the vaccine is annual and only reduces the threat to flu like risk that would be brilliant
Apparently (and don't ask me why, not a medical scientist) the protection offered by vaccines can be stronger/better/longer lasting than that from "natural" immunity, presumably depending on the efficacy of the vaccine in triggering the "right" response in the body. So while this is yet another reason why "natural" herd immunity is a load of bollocks, it's probably not as damaging to the idea of achieving it via a vaccine, which is ultimately going to be the way we get out of this.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6017 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:35:07 »

no you're right, I think it mentioned that point.

I guess it just means more people will need the vaccine if it works - or more quickly anyway ...

they  haven't started the challenge test yet have they?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6018 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:40:02 »

no you're right, I think it mentioned that point.

I guess it just means more people will need the vaccine if it works - or more quickly anyway ...
I kind of assumed that as you said it would mean it would need more frequent top-up "boosters". Again, that will vary from vaccine to vaccine depending on how effective the individual vaccine is. There was a bit on (I think) Inside Science a few weeks back where they were speculating that it's likely that the initial vaccines will have highly variable efficacy but would "do a job" in protecting the most vulnerable and that it might take a few years and several iterations of multiple vaccines before we find one(s) that work more effectively in long-term suppression of the virus, even with boosters. There's unlikely to be a silver bullet straight away
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6019 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 11:30:24 »

Ooops, EatOutToSpreadTheVirus helped accelerate the second wave/revive the first wave (depending on your point of view). So we spent 100s of millions of taxpayers money on promoting the second wave which is now causing even more problems to exactly the businesses it was supposed to help. Superb.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-eat-out-to-help-out-accelerated-second-wave-of-covid-19-study-says-12118285

But we can't afford £20m to feed hungry kids.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6020 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 11:47:26 »

I don’t remember too much opposition to it at the time though, it was generally thought to be a good idea to boost the area of the economy that was the hardest hit by the lockdown.  I personally was happy to take advantage of deals available in order to help my local eateries

I do remember plenty of people looking down their noses sneering at “Chav’s who like a Nando’s will be happy” though
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #6021 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 11:49:45 »

I do remember plenty of people looking down their noses sneering at “Chav’s who like a cheeky Nando’s & a cough will be happy” though

I come from a land down-under
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6022 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:32:59 »

Quote from: pauld

But we can't afford £20m to feed hungry kids.

What, a few prem players annual salaries?
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6023 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:43:54 »

Not up to footballers to provide kids meals
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6024 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:44:11 »

Or a small fraction of a corrupt PPE contract. It isn't the job of footballers to ensure the nation's children are adequately fed. That it took the intervention of a high-profile player to get something done, by govt over the summer, and largely by private charity in the most recent case is a searing indictment of the failure of govt and it's priorities.
Flashheart

« Reply #6025 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:44:23 »

Footballers could, and perhaps should, do more (some are contributing). As could/should other rich people (why the focus on wealthy footballers only?).

But that does not excuse the government for being so callous. That footballers may or may not be a bunch of tight wankers doesn't make the actions of politicians any less hideous. It's nothing less than cheap whatabouttery.

Bear in mind also that this is the same bunch of politicians who recently voted to give themselves a pay rise.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6026 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:45:31 »

Ooops, EatOutToSpreadTheVirus helped accelerate the second wave/revive the first wave (depending on your point of view). So we spent 100s of millions of taxpayers money on promoting the second wave which is now causing even more problems to exactly the businesses it was supposed to help. Superb.

It was generally accepted the scheme was a good idea at the time was it not? Too many Captain Hindsight's around it seems trying to play the blame game....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6027 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:49:04 »

It was generally accepted the scheme was a good idea at the time was it not? Too many Captain Hindsight's around it seems trying to play the blame game....
But none of them are the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Plenty of people, including it now seems the govt's own scientific advisors, did say over the summer that the govt had opened up too early and too quickly. We're paying the price now for the govt's continued failure to follow the scientific advice and yet again they are making the same mistakes as in March, dithering and delaying in the face of their own scientific advisers, doing too little too late
« Last Edit: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:52:51 by pauld » Logged
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6028 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:51:30 »

To be fair plenty did say surely it's fucking stupid to be doing it as well
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6029 on: Friday, October 30, 2020, 13:03:42 »

But none of them are the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Plenty of people, including it now seems the govt's own scientific advisors, did say over the summer that the govt had opened up too early and too quickly. We're paying the price now for the govt's continued failure to follow the scientific advice and yet again they are making the same mistakes as in March, dithering and delaying in the face of their own scientific advisers, doing too little too late
So what about all the other countries that now have rising cases like Germany, France etc. The same thing is happening everywhere, the self proclaimed 'experts' and advisors are making it up on the go just as much as the government are. You can't just follow the scientific advice, they may know their profession but there are dozens of other factors that have to be taken into account before decisions get made. If we just followed the scientific advice we'd be locked down until a vaccine is developed and distributed, I still find it mind boggling that some people actually would support that approach.

Every restaurant I go to is socially distanced, well organised and no more risky than going to the supermarket, it just seems like another pointless attempt point the finger again.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: