Pages: 1 ... 382 383 384 [385] 386 387 388 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1199822 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5760 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 11:34:40 »

No, not that I can see.

This scheme is probably useful for companies running at reduced capacity/demand, but that's a fairly specific sub-group of affected companies. Will no doubt help many (probably including me) but not all and certainly less than furlough (whilst costing a lot less - total govt. contribution is more like 20% rather than 80%).

Feels like they're trying to stagger and reduce job losses rather than prevent them all together with this sort of intervention. Will be too little for many.
Yes I think you're right, it's softening the blow rather than shielding it. It's going to be a long bleak winter
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5761 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 11:41:45 »

Having been made redundant in the past I really feel for those affected so I am not being flippant, however,

I think there does have to be an acceptance that some jobs will be lost and that furlough was in a way keeping certain zombie jobs live. The world was already changing and C-19 has just accelerated that?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5762 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 11:48:10 »

I do think that's a fair view, but there are certainly sectors where jobs were absolutely viable until they weren't - live music, sports and hospitality are pretty much non-viable at the moment despite the best efforts of some excellent people. Those aren't 'changing world' job losses, those are specific Covid related problems.

It would seem possible, maybe even desirable, to use the crisis as an opportunity to try and accelerate certain changes, especially in the green economy with targeted funding. That seems to be what Canada are looking at doing with enormous government spending. But maybe that will come in later announcements - there does seem to be a habit of every time Sunak announces anything to expect him to announce everything, which clearly isn't fair when the situation is changing quite so quickly.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5763 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 11:54:56 »

I do think that's a fair view, but there are certainly sectors where jobs were absolutely viable until they weren't - live music, sports and hospitality are pretty much non-viable at the moment despite the best efforts of some excellent people. Those aren't 'changing world' job losses, those are specific Covid related problems.

It would seem possible, maybe even desirable, to use the crisis as an opportunity to try and accelerate certain changes, especially in the green economy with targeted funding. That seems to be what Canada are looking at doing with enormous government spending. But maybe that will come in later announcements - there does seem to be a habit of every time Sunak announces anything to expect him to announce everything, which clearly isn't fair when the situation is changing quite so quickly.

Completely agree.
e
On the wider issue, if we as a species just expect things to go back to where they were (and where they were heading) in 2019, we are bloody idiots.

For example with what appears to be a once in a generation change in ways of working and engagement, do we need HS2 any more (I used to be up and down to London probably 3 times a month, since March not been once and it hasn't really affected me) or could the money better be spent on improving existing infrastructure, likewise the extra runway at Heathrow?

I suspect that sweet FA will change as government are not known for long term planning and instead will just plough on with what was already in the pipeline, which will be an enormous opportunity missed. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5764 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 12:49:14 »

£12bn already spent on track and trace is a pretty scary number.
And pretty much all of that has gone to private companies, to run a failing system. Small beans though if they get their way with Project MoonSpaff. Theft on a massive scale, Cummings learned well from the Russian gangsters
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5765 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 12:51:28 »

And pretty much all of that has gone to private companies, to run a failing system. Small beans though if they get their way with Project MoonSpaff. Theft on a massive scale, Cummings learned well from the Russian gangsters

Come on repeat after me, its NHS Test and Trace, as Johnson keeps trying at Starmer, you complain about the system you urinate on NHS staff!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5766 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 13:11:50 »

Sainsbury's in Stratton are running low on toilet paper....

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5767 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 13:41:17 »

I'll make sure I have a shit before I go there then
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5768 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 14:18:01 »

Fucking morons all panic buying.

As far as i can see, nothing has changed apart from having to drink up by 10pm!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5769 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 14:27:11 »

I still haven't run out of bog roll since the last time  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5770 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 14:34:00 »

I still haven't run out of bog roll since the last time  Smiley
That's one hell of a long time to clench 4D
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5771 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 14:36:00 »

Fucking morons all panic buying.

As far as i can see, nothing has changed apart from having to drink up by 10pm!

The Govt have a new slogan. Drink Earlier, Drink Stronger, Drink Faster.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5772 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 09:13:12 »

Interesting to see the videos from last night showing London heaving at 10pm after everyone was kicked out at the same time.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5773 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 09:50:40 »

Interesting to see the videos from last night showing London heaving at 10pm after everyone was kicked out at the same time.
TBF the risk is more when they're sat inside in poorly ventilated rooms, exposed to a group of people for a prolonged period of time than outdoors and moving about. Although given they're all then likely to be hitting the Tubes and buses at the same time, that would be a massive risk factor too.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2020, 09:55:33 by pauld » Logged
Hunk

« Reply #5774 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:42:41 »

Just popped into the newsagents near my work (wearing a mask, of course). Three people already in the shop when I walked in without masks. Another five or six walked in while I was queuing, not a single mask between them. Sigh
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:51:34 by Hunk » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 384 [385] 386 387 388 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: