Pages: 1 ... 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1204302 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5685 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 15:03:18 »

Quote from: horlock07
to book tests and get results.
You can do that online already?
yeah, but this is an app.

wow!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5686 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 15:19:46 »

You can do that online already?
yeah, but this is an app.

wow!

Well yeah, my socks are suitably blown off!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5687 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 16:27:14 »

set level to 4.

er you remember, the levels, you know the ones we sort of ignored
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5688 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 18:38:16 »

Just looked out of interest and boredom on the Tesco website for online delivery. As suspected, all the panic buying morons have booked all slots for the forseeable coming weeks. Dickheads.
Hunk

« Reply #5689 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 18:47:12 »

So this post is going to be a bit of a vent from me and I hope may even inform the discussion. Apologies from the outset for the rambling nature of what you're about to read, its a tough thing for me to talk about.

There's a really hard, but absolutely necessary conversation that needs to be had, and I've seen touched upon here, about the trade off between one extreme (locking down society for the safety of the most physically vulnerable, but to the detriment of the physically healthy) and the other (which by my reckoning is letting the virus run its course to the detriment of those who are physically vulnerable but to the benefit of the physically healthy).

I fit into the category of the physically fit, and as such do not particularly fear the virus itself. However, my personal situation puts members of my family at mental and emotional risk as a result of society closing down. I'll explain.

My two daughters, who are 6 and 8, are relocating to the States with their Mum in about a month, which would of course be difficult for me in any circumstances. But because of this virus and the situation that has resulted, seeing them in America after they've gone will be possible, but tricky. Now, as the father of two American citizens I'm actually one of the few that is exempt from the travel ban to the US, so of course Im lucky in that respect. However, my Dad, the kid's grandad, is utterly, utterly terrified that he'll never see them again because, until there is an airbridge between the US and the UK or there is a vaccine, he simply is not allowed into the States.

He has Parkinson's and that fact in combination with his meds makes him extremely emotional, to the extent that he is prone to random emotional breakdowns regardless of where he is. Im genuinely concerned he won't cope with the stress, which would have been there anyway, but is heightened ten-fold because of the situation Covid-19 has put us all in. It might not need to be said, but I'm worried about him hurting himself.

I think the point that I'm getting at is that this virus and the havoc it has caused really can affect people in far from obvious ways, even if they don't catch it. Eventually we'll have to discuss if the cure is worse than the disease. I also need to say that I'm not advocating the idea that the cure is ALREADY worse than the disease, just that there are hidden variables on this whole mess whose consequences can be equally as damaging.

I hope this hasn't come across as whiney either, I know there are people out there that are having a far worse time than either me or my Dad. I'm just trying to offer another perspective, and as I said, have a bit of a vent. Sayonara
« Last Edit: Monday, September 21, 2020, 18:48:50 by Hunk » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5690 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 19:12:57 »

It's a sad situation for your dad. I hope we get in to of it and quick enough for him to see his grandchildren.

There isn't an easy answer to it all. That obvious.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5691 on: Monday, September 21, 2020, 20:27:31 »

Hunk - regarding the issue of travel to the USA.  You can still access provided you go via another Country that is not on the exempt list first - which could mean a bit of a trek, but would offer a glimmer of hope.  If I remember correctly, the USA bars entry from those directly coming from the UK, so others have stopped off on the way for a couple of weeks then continued with a separate flight into the USA from that Country.  You still need to sort out having a valid ESTA mind, or B2 Visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/
Hunk

« Reply #5692 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 04:25:03 »

Hunk - regarding the issue of travel to the USA.  You can still access provided you go via another Country that is not on the exempt list first - which could mean a bit of a trek, but would offer a glimmer of hope.  If I remember correctly, the USA bars entry from those directly coming from the UK, so others have stopped off on the way for a couple of weeks then continued with a separate flight into the USA from that Country.  You still need to sort out having a valid ESTA mind, or B2 Visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/

You are right about that. Although given my Dad's health its not really feasible for him to spend two weeks in an exempt country before going to the US, he might find solace in the fact that its technically possible. Cheers for the advice 👍
Valid Pint

« Reply #5693 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 05:24:22 »

Shampoo's fake profile?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5694 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 06:27:04 »

more on the Orient situation, including Embleton admitting there was 'a bug' before the Mansfield game.

I'd assumed regular testing was mandatory

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/leyton-orient-covid-19-carabao-cup-tottenham-spurs?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5695 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 06:55:45 »

Poor Spurs can't rearrange the fixture so they go through? Get to fuck.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5696 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 07:22:58 »

The season is currently operating on the tightest of schedules within a nervous industry/nation.

I know we're all downtrodden lower league fans but if Leyton Orient or any other team are found to be negligent/careless with testing then surely punishments will be inevitable?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 07:25:58 by Costanza » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #5697 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 08:48:16 »

I think the point that I'm getting at is that this virus and the havoc it has caused really can affect people in far from obvious ways, even if they don't catch it. Eventually we'll have to discuss if the cure is worse than the disease. I also need to say that I'm not advocating the idea that the cure is ALREADY worse than the disease, just that there are hidden variables on this whole mess whose consequences can be equally as damaging.

The problem is, that the cure IS probably worse than the disease in some cases, but it is going to be different for others depending on their scenario.  The cure sounds like it could be worse in your Dad's scenario, however if he got the infection would he survive?  Need to weigh up whether him seeing his grand kids is more important than the risk of contracting and not surviving, it's a fine line in some cases.  Whereas if the current cure wasn't in place it would put my parents at risk with their current health issues.  I have no doubt that if my parents get this they will not survive - which is why they have followed the guidelines strictly.

If I ended up losing my parents due to guidelines being relaxed because of potential mental health issues, then that obviously wouldn't sit right with me..  it's a tough call I know..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5698 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 09:13:06 »

more on the Orient situation, including Embleton admitting there was 'a bug' before the Mansfield game.

I'd assumed regular testing was mandatory

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/leyton-orient-covid-19-carabao-cup-tottenham-spurs?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
So had I. The most worrying part of that article was this "serious questions being asked about the biosecurity of League Two". Because that could threaten putting Leagues One and Two back into mothballs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5699 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 09:25:27 »

it could. or also see regular testing. not sure who picks the cost of that up though
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 379 [380] 381 382 383 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: