Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188427 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5565 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 16:39:38 »

So I'm heading to Turkey in a few weeks which is fine as a UK airbridge (no quarantine on return) but I'm flying in via Kos then getting the short boat trip to Turkey. Now the Government has just put a load of Greek places and islands on the quarantine list. Kos isn't one of them.

I've read through all the entry requirements etc, various passenger forms that need to be filled out, and I'm cool with doing what is required. What I can't see is anything to tell me about short term stop-overs. Basically I'll arrive in Kos too late to get the ferry so will be staying overnight in Kos then getting the ferry to Turkey the next day. All the information talks more towards people who are "holidaying" in Greece but I'm going to be there for less than 24hrs and essentially just stopping over.

My concern is more to do with returning (boat back to Kos and Flight home), as I will be doing that all in the same day. Hypothetically, if they test me and it's positive when arriving back in Greece they say that I would have to quarantine in the hotel I'm staying in or "Gov provided accoms" (not sure what that is/entails) but I'm not staying in a hotel/bnb on the way back and just travelling through.
At no cost to myself.  So would they allow me to travel on my flight to the UK and then be advised to quarantine on return or would they make me stay in Greece for 2 weeks?

I don't mind, if I had to spend 2 weeks in Kos after being in Turkey, then fine but I just feel like there's not much clarity on how these airbridges work, and links where other countries have air bridges (Greece-Turkey flying is closed but Ferry Ports are fully operational at time of writing) too.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, also BO this is for you...there seems to be some conflicting advice regarding E-Visas. Some are saying I need one for Turkey yet it appears that a UK citizen can travel to Turkey without one for upto 90 days? Be decent if you could advise. Since you've recently travelled there.

Cheers anyone.

Hey Bamboo. I’ve sent you a DM regarding your visit.

Nope UK citizens don’t require an E-Visa anymore (some agreement between Turkey and the UK/Ireland). We flew into Izmir and the only thing we had to complete was a basic form saying where we were staying etc (for track and trace I guess).

I really don’t know about travel between Turkey and Greece but when we went on a day trip to Samos in Greece from Kusadasi they do inspect the passports in detail given that there is no love lost between the 2 countries!

When you flying?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5566 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 16:42:12 »

There's a difference though isn't there between a highly supervised and regulated environment of allowing mass attendance at sporting events versus a few dozen people down the park being relied upon to self-regulate. I get the optics aren't good, and I think you're right that it will be delayed, but actually once you think about it, it's apples and oranges
not really, you can't stop people doing the same thing before and after the game. it's not just in the stadium that's the issue
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5567 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 17:37:58 »

Why didnt you fly to Turkey direct out of interest?

I can fly direct but it falls down to cost. I can fly to Kos for £35 and back for about £90. Even including my stopover at a cheap bnb in Kos the total works out much less than flying straight into BJV (near double). Friend is picking me up so no transfers to pay. And there's little inconvenience for me personally jumping on the Ferry.

My main bother was regarding the "country hopping" so to speak.

If people are allowed to travel unhindered via ferry from Zak I can’t see Kos proving to be a problem.

True but you're talking about internal/domestic journey (ie Zante to Myk) so there are no checks, whereas, Kos Rhodes and Samos all have routes to the Turkish border, so becomes an international journey (plus Greek & Turk Border Forces are always falling out and making up) Smiley

Hey Bamboo. I’ve sent you a DM regarding your visit.

Nope UK citizens don’t require an E-Visa anymore (some agreement between Turkey and the UK/Ireland). We flew into Izmir and the only thing we had to complete was a basic form saying where we were staying etc (for track and trace I guess).

I really don’t know about travel between Turkey and Greece but when we went on a day trip to Samos in Greece from Kusadasi they do inspect the passports in detail given that there is no love lost between the 2 countries!

When you flying?

Cheers BO, yeah I've done the Rhodes to Marmaris trip before and I seem to remember the passport having an inspection. Will check the messages. Thanks.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5568 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 18:49:39 »

Test results back in just over 24 hours: negative. Hurrah.
Brilliant news Sam!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5569 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 18:50:42 »

not really, you can't stop people doing the same thing before and after the game. it's not just in the stadium that's the issue
1) Staggered entry and dispersal times
2) Risks are mainly from prolonged contact indoors rather than outside
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5570 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 19:30:30 »

Quote from: pauld
1) Staggered entry and dispersal times
2) Risks are mainly from prolonged contact indoors rather than outside

1) was thinking more of fans meeting before/after game.

2) - yes, and yet they are applying the 6 person file outdoors as well.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #5571 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 19:50:25 »

Test results back in just over 24 hours: negative. Hurrah.

Great stuff. Out of interest, do you still have to self isolate for any period or are you free to carry on as normal once you receive a negative result?
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #5572 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 20:44:01 »

I think it's inevitable Paul (both)

it makes no sense to ban groups of more than 6 then allow a few thousand into football.

Doncaster races have been told no crowds after Wednesday (wonder which mp got a freebe for Wednesday?)
It seems the change of mind on Doncaster is more to do with a ride in local cases than the Government's decision
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5573 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 04:25:19 »

Great stuff. Out of interest, do you still have to self isolate for any period or are you free to carry on as normal once you receive a negative result?

Can carry on as normal as long as I haven't had a fever for 48 hours.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5574 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 08:33:42 »

Schapps confirms that Johnson was, surprisingly, bullshitting in the commons yesterday.

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1303948159924744192?s=20
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5575 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 09:15:11 »

Schapps confirms that Johnson was, surprisingly, bullshitting in the commons yesterday.

Said the same to my partner last night, it was obvious.

They should have been more transparent and stated this is a strategy we're exploring but it would have to be developed from scratch and there's no way of knowing how long that would take.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5576 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 09:21:01 »

On the one hand, they are right that in the absence of a vaccine, and without an effective TTI system, mass testing is a route to returning to some form of reality. If they'd managed the opportunity of lockdown properly, the approach of localised suppression could have worked, but they didn't and I don't know that there's now a realistic chance of getting community transmission down to the levels to make that effective. Plus they'd have to build a proper localised PH driven TTI system which they are clearly unwilling to do.

So in a sane world and with a competent govt, then mass testing would make some kind of sense. But we have neither and even the govt have admitted that the technology they're relying on doesn't exist yet. And given the history so far of huge sums of public money (100s of millions) being diverted to mates of Gove and Cummings for PPE that never turns up or can't be used, it's difficult to see how anyone could trust that this £100bn "Moonshot" isn't just an even more massive attempt to steal even more money for no actual outcome. Not so much "Moonshot" as "Moonspaff", as Johnson might put it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5577 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 09:30:21 »

SAGE think MoonSpaff is unlikely to work and that the money could be better spent elsewhere

"Careful consideration should be given to ensure that any mass testing programme provides additional benefit over investing equivalent resources into improving (i) the speed and coverage of [NHS test and trace] for symptomatic cases (the proportion of individuals who report Covid-consistent symptoms in England who go on to request a test through NHSTT could be as low as 10% ) and (ii) the rate of self-isolation and quarantine for those that test positive (currently estimated to be <20% fully adherent). This is relevant as targeting testing to those with high prior probabilities of infection (e.g. people with symptoms or contact with known case) has a much larger per-test impact on reducing transmission ...

The use of testing as a point-of-entry requirement for particular settings and events, e.g. sporting and cultural events, could play a role in allowing the resumption of such activities with reduced risk of transmission. Such applications of testing would require superb organisation and logistics with rapid, highly sensitive tests. This is also separate from the national strategy to reduce R, for which such testing would have only minimal effect.
"

Although tbf their primary concern is public health rather than diverting that money into the pockets of mates of Gove and Cummings so different objectives there obviously
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5578 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 09:36:31 »

So are we suggesting that the conversations may be,

'Ok Moonspaff doesnt work at the moment but we have our best man on it.'

'Dom - who do you suggest'

'Right Ive got this mate, he's got a dormant business with assets of twelve hundred quid.  He used to sell tins of spam.  He's perfect, give him a contract for 6 mill.  And theres an old mate who used to be in the city.  Fell on hard times, bit much of the old powder.  4 mill for him, he's a safe pair of hands'

Corrupt as fuck this lot.  And yet the majority of my home town will say, oh old Boris he's a laugh isnt he.  Lets trust him with the stewardship of the country, what could go wrong.

Never knowingly overstated.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5579 on: Thursday, September 10, 2020, 10:17:05 »

They have now made it mandatory to wear masks in Turkey in all outside spaces. Fuck going to the beach and having to wear a mask! It is hot enough just in the street as it is!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: