Pages: 1 ... 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1206580 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5430 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 21:53:20 »

it's fair enough that the public should do their bit in order for it to work.

what I would say though is the media reports I read said that local on the ground  teams in areas under increased measures were easy more effective than centralised track and trace.  

So both the public and the system could do better. Thankfully we seem to be switching systems.

don't get me started on the app fiasco though. a day late and a dollar short.

the Government does think it can hide things by using 'world leading' and 'fantastic/marvelous'. But this isn't the USA. Most people take it as read it's bullshit.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5431 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 06:30:37 »

Went to the outlet yesterday, and even in shops, some people are refusing to wear masks. Some even carrying them. Yes some might have an underlying condition, but some were out right refusing to wear one.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5432 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 06:35:07 »

Mrs Audrey went into a shop yesterday forgetting to put her mask on first.

They chucked her out!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5433 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 08:55:14 »

Sorry to go on a bit about how they are doing it in Turkey, but they have a zero tolerance policy in shops as well which appears to be policed by the shop workers. As Audrey's wife experienced you basically just can't go into a shop without a mask.

I have heard that there is a 900 TL fine (about £100) for non-mask wearing so perhaps this is helping, or perhaps people are just more accepting of what effort is required to minimise risk.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5434 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 08:59:42 »

Went to the outlet yesterday, and even in shops, some people are refusing to wear masks. Some even carrying them. Yes some might have an underlying condition, but some were out right refusing to wear one.

Was on a train the other day. 2 people with masks just covering their mouths, one that took theirs off to have a conversation on the phone. Infuriating.

But the other 30 or so people did keep them on and use them properly. Shouldn't lose sight of that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5435 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:05:35 »

it's fair enough that the public should do their bit in order for it to work.

what I would say though is the media reports I read said that local on the ground  teams in areas under increased measures were easy more effective than centralised track and trace. 

So both the public and the system could do better. Thankfully we seem to be switching systems.

don't get me started on the app fiasco though. a day late and a dollar short.

the Government does think it can hide things by using 'world leading' and 'fantastic/marvelous'. But this isn't the USA. Most people take it as read it's bullshit.

Up here being reported in Blackburn the national system is getting 56% the local method 98% (and that is without any additional central funding).
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5436 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:07:48 »

Was on a train the other day. 2 people with masks just covering their mouths, one that took theirs off to have a conversation on the phone. Infuriating.

But the other 30 or so people did keep them on and use them properly. Shouldn't lose sight of that.

Up here it seems to be pretty much 100%, went shopping to the retail parks of Kendal at the weekend, was waiting for about 10 mins outside the door of Sainsbury's waiting for the missus only people I saw entering without masks were invariably followed with a 'fuck I haven't got my mask on' a rummage in a pocket and masked up!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5437 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:08:45 »

Have you actually looked at the govt stats though?
Yes I have. You seem to be hanging your hat on household contacts, which seems an odd thing to zero in on.  Here's the big picture: total +ve tests since Test and Trace started in May: 53,427; people who were reached and provided contact details for close contacts: 29,723 = 55% of details of close contacts obtained. Of that 55% they then weren't able to get in touch with 18.5% of the contacts provided. It's dismal.

Centralised contact tracing has been a disaster by any measure, the govt tacitly admitted this a week or so ago when they announced they would be moving much of this work into local public health units which is where it should have been in the first place, they have the expertise and the staff on the ground (albeit not enough thanks to a decade of local authority funding cuts) to actually do the job properly. Which is why local contact tracing has a >95% hit rate whereas Serco's glorified call centre operation has a miserable 55% hit rate. I'm hoping that this aspect, moving much of the actual work to local public health teams, will remain. Without an effective testing and contact tracing system we will never get this thing under control.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:16:08 by pauld » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5438 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:11:55 »

But you don't know who is exempt and who is just "refusing" to wear one. Not sure shaming people who might have a perfectly good reason for not wearing one is a particularly helpful approach. FWIW, I was also in the Outlet Centre yesterday (wearing a mask) and although I saw one person take their mask off while still in the centre as she left a shop, she put it back on again before she went into the next shop. Beyond that, everyone I saw was wearing one. I don't do a huge amount of shopping but from what I've seen observance of the mask rules seems to be pretty good.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5439 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 09:29:10 »

Unfortunately the non wearing of masks isn't completely black or white as this article attests;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-53827911

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #5440 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 10:52:26 »

Yes I have. You seem to be hanging your hat on household contacts, which seems an odd thing to zero in on.  Here's the big picture: total +ve tests since Test and Trace started in May: 53,427; people who were reached and provided contact details for close contacts: 29,723 = 55% of details of close contacts obtained. Of that 55% they then weren't able to get in touch with 18.5% of the contacts provided. It's dismal.

Centralised contact tracing has been a disaster by any measure, the govt tacitly admitted this a week or so ago when they announced they would be moving much of this work into local public health units which is where it should have been in the first place, they have the expertise and the staff on the ground (albeit not enough thanks to a decade of local authority funding cuts) to actually do the job properly. Which is why local contact tracing has a >95% hit rate whereas Serco's glorified call centre operation has a miserable 55% hit rate. I'm hoping that this aspect, moving much of the actual work to local public health teams, will remain. Without an effective testing and contact tracing system we will never get this thing under control.

I'm not 'hanging my hat' on anything, so making a valid point.
Off the same link as before, table 7 52,735 has been passed to test and trace and 41,254 have been contacted, so 78.2%

What you have pulled out is the number who provided close contacts - 29,723 and the other side is the number of people who couldn't provide any close contacts 11,532, does that mean they live alone or have refused to provide any contacts? i don't know.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5441 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:29:31 »

You know the government is fucked when even Toby Young thinks so...

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5442 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:39:53 »

He was hoping the job was his.

Never knowingly overstated.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5443 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 16:15:59 »

Nothing to see here, move along.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/who-profits-coronavirus-government-spending-boom_uk_5f0890c0c5b63a72c3413817
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5444 on: Thursday, August 20, 2020, 15:13:41 »

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: