Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1203944 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3375 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:39:33 »

Again questions need to be asked about the press and where they are getting their info or just making shit up as was everywhere this morning saying it was going to be reduced to 60 percent.
They get it from off the record briefings from "No 10 sources", like the "Freedom Monday" shit we saw last week that allowed Cummings to essentially trial public reaction to a much looser lifting of lockdown. The problem is not so much that the press are making shit up as allowing No 10 to get away with this kind of unattributed "govt sources" spin which it seems in this instance was used to throw a curveball at the opposition (and more fool them for falling for it). Kuenssberg and Peston in particular seem to so value their inside track with Cummings that they pretty much regard themselves as his mouthpieces
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #3376 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:40:13 »

Staggering the sum of money being borrowed to keep the country more or less in a lockdown situation - apart for it being a longstanding dept - who is holding the tab for the 300 billion? curious to know how this works...anyone know??

With a sovereign currency, and central bank, I'm anticipating a new round of Quantitative Easing any time soon. National debt will go through the roof (about £2 trillion already) and servicing that takes out around 85% of gdp currently, but it was 250% of gdp after six years of WW2, so there is still scope. Managing inflation will be the next problem, but inflation always chips away at the debt in real terms !
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #3377 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:48:24 »

They get it from off the record briefings from "No 10 sources", like the "Freedom Monday" shit we saw last week that allowed Cummings to essentially trial public reaction to a much looser lifting of lockdown. The problem is not so much that the press are making shit up as allowing No 10 to get away with this kind of unattributed "govt sources" spin which it seems in this instance was used to throw a curveball at the opposition (and more fool them for falling for it). Kuenssberg and Peston in particular seem to so value their inside track with Cummings that they pretty much regard themselves as his mouthpieces
Or alternatively it could have been made up by Labour with all the tweets from the likes of John McDonnell and Richard Burgon about it to further turn people against the government. Either way don’t believe things until it is actually announced!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3378 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:52:06 »

Or alternatively it could have been made up by Labour with all the tweets from the likes of John McDonnell and Richard Burgon about it to further turn people against the government.
1) The story was carried by the media before Labour MPs began tweeting it.
2) It was carried by the right wing press who are not often given to acting as soft outlets for the likes of McDonnell and Burgon
3) Neither are Labour front benchers any more. They are however, gullible for tweeting on the back of "sources say" stories for reasons I outlined above.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #3379 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:54:26 »

1) The story was carried by the media before Labour MPs began tweeting it.
2) It was carried by the right wing press who are not often given to acting as soft outlets for the likes of McDonnell and Burgon
3) Neither are Labour front benchers any more. They are however, gullible for tweeting on the back of "sources say" stories for reasons I outlined above.
Well Burgons now claiming responsibility for making the government keep it at 80% so wouldn’t rule them out!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3380 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 16:54:41 »

FT have run their analysis on the latest ONS stats. Bearing in mind those stats lag by a week or so, horrifyingly they now show that over 50,000 people have died during the Covid19 outbreak in the UK than would usually be the case i.e. excess mortality which the govt and their chief scientific advisers accept is the only meaningful way of measuring the impact of the pandemic and the response to it

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1260147122369892352

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending1may2020#deaths-registered-in-the-uk

On the upside (insofar as you can have an upside for 50,000 people dying) the data does show that deaths have passed the peak and are continuing to fall.
FT have updated their extrapolated figures to date for total excess deaths. Just shy of 60,000. No wonder the govt decided today would be a good day to get the furlough announcement out.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1260251993479745536
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3381 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:11:12 »

FFS.

https://www.wiltshire999s.co.uk/mass-gatherings-in-protest-of-unlawful-lockdown-arranged-for-swindon/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3382 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:20:36 »

Scumbags. They obviously don't know anyone who has been infected or seen the aftermath of all this. Do these people not see the horrific photos from hospitals.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3383 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:24:19 »

Even now the utter selfishness of some people horrifies me.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #3384 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:26:05 »

Schools will not reopen on June 1st. There will be a second spike before then. The way people are going, it will be sooner rather than later.

These are sad times.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3385 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:32:19 »

Anyone organising or distributing this sort of shite should be dealt with.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3386 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:45:55 »

Anyone organising or distributing this sort of shite should be dealt with.
I agree totally, apparently its a country wide thing now with gatherings planned in all major towns and cities, I hope the vast majority of people see it as the idiotis thing that it is and don't take part.

If people do indeed take part then hopefully the police will act suitably.

Flashheart

« Reply #3387 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:46:14 »

If it's 'unlawful', then why not have it challenged in court?

Or do they maybe not understand the meaning of the word, or are just trying to whip people up into a ill-informed frenzy.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3388 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 08:53:38 »

Why would you protest against something that is in place to save lives? Dumb fucks.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #3389 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 09:02:04 »

I agree totally, apparently its a country wide thing now with gatherings planned in all major towns and cities, I hope the vast majority of people see it as the idiotis thing that it is and don't take part.

If people do indeed take part then hopefully the police will act suitably.

The problem is that the police have clearly said they are struggling to cope.

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: