Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1203912 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3330 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 10:06:25 »

The shots of the mall in Brisbane shows that Stupidity will not be beaten.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3331 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 10:29:29 »

The shots of the mall in Brisbane shows that Stupidity will not be beaten.

I dunno, they are having a good go in Warrington!

https://twitter.com/MerseyHack/status/1258758842680254465?s=20
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #3332 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:21:00 »

The strange thing for me with regard to the advice around working and the reaction to that advice, is that it's basically the same as it was beforehand. They've only changed from can work, to should work. Loads of factories were already open, I even know of an office that went back to work last week with half staff. I guess if pulled up on it they can just make excuses as to why they need to be in the office to work. I can only conclude that the continual ambiguity is by design to allow the rules to be bent.

You're absolutely right.   

Similarly there has never been a legal restriction on how long you can exercise.  The Guidance says 1 hour but the law itself as drafted says you are allowed out of your house to exercise and gives no limit on time.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3333 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:39:42 »

Just back from my daily stroll. Some people clearly not paying heed to the 'stay alert' mantra as I had to take evasive action to avoid a trio of people walking 3 abreast on the pavement either in lala land or with a face in a phone. (I had to walk on a busy road to try and keep my distance) and also be fully aware to keep my distance from other folk who are obviously so keen to keep up to the latest Corona news that they can't walk without their fucking face in their mobile.

As its bloody cold and windy there aren't masses of people about so fairly easy to keep my distance.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:57:47 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3334 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:52:29 »

The strange thing for me with regard to the advice around working and the reaction to that advice, is that it's basically the same as it was beforehand. They've only changed from can work, to should work. Loads of factories were already open, I even know of an office that went back to work last week with half staff. I guess if pulled up on it they can just make excuses as to why they need to be in the office to work. I can only conclude that the continual ambiguity is by design to allow the rules to be bent.

But......the millions of workers furloughed can't go back to work unless the younger are called back by their employers

So, give no fucks
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #3335 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:09:29 »

But......the millions of workers furloughed can't go back to work unless the younger are called back by their employers

In my experience factories and warehouses haven't stopped, they've just been working on reduced staffing levels, unless the virus destroyed demand for what they do, which in sone cases will obviously be true. I spoke to someone in manufacturing the other day who said they'd been just as busy but managed to cope with reduced staff. A lot of people won't be getting their jobs back at the end of this because their employers have realised the same
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3336 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:18:28 »

In my experience factories and warehouses haven't stopped, they've just been working on reduced staffing levels, unless the virus destroyed demand for what they do, which in sone cases will obviously be true. I spoke to someone in manufacturing the other day who said they'd been just as busy but managed to cope with reduced staff. A lot of people won't be getting their jobs back at the end of this because their employers have realised the same

That's the position I'm in as I was furloughed last week and the manufacturing company I work for is still operating with reduced numbers

So, give no fucks
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #3337 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:19:02 »

Smiley

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #3338 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:20:39 »

Round of golf booked in for Thursday, a lovely bit of normality returns
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3339 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:23:03 »

That is a real problem that needs planning for.  In every financial crisis the same thing happens - jobs are removed, companies struggle on and eventually get used to it.  The desire to add jobs is never equal t the desire to remove them.  That may seem unfair, but work does have a happy habit of filling the available hours - most of my job entails identifying such efficiency opportunities.

Just thinking everything will go back to normal, even when a vaccine is found, isn't going to work.  Even if nothing changed in our habits, companies will have found ways to cope.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3340 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:23:57 »

Round of golf booked in for Thursday, a lovely bit of normality returns

That was one area that struck me as odd  - Golf is probably one of the easiest things you can do to social distance, so long as the clubhouse is shut.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3341 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:45:09 »

That was one area that struck me as odd  - Golf is probably one of the easiest things you can do to social distance, so long as the clubhouse is shut.

And fishing. The very definition of a loner activity.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3342 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:46:36 »

Going back to the South Korea cluster to do with Nightclubs, it raises some important questions for Western countries around what we would be willing to do to enable lock downs to be relaxed.  They identified 5,517 people who attended one of these clubs from 24th April to 6th May, which they can do because you have to give your details to be let in.  They have managed to contact more than 2,000 of them so far, and where the details maybe sketchy they are using Credit Card companies to track people down who spent money in the establishments and the Police force.  That's some pretty big invasion of privacy issues for Western countries, would people accept it?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3343 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:48:41 »

There’s a few of these knocking about

https://mobile.twitter.com/MirrorMacca
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #3344 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 12:54:42 »

It's a funny old game...

A top of the table team, say South Korea, has played a tight 5-4-1, and successfully parked the bus. Now changed to a  5-3-2, pushing forward gradually, but ever mindful of the oppo's known danger on the counter-attack.

A  bottom 2 team, say England, ignored scouting, played a more expansive 4-4-2, all with a leaky and ill-disciplined defence. Ron 'Spaff' Damager now adopts a 4-3-3, and rush goalie, in a desperate roll of the dice to avoid relegation.

The Economy v The Biology. We'll just have to wait a month or so for the result, sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: