Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1205298 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2325 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:22:17 »

There will never be zero cases. They'll try and manage how many get it at once until there is a vaccine. We'll all get it, just hopefully not all in one go, and then until there is some form of jab to hopefully protect the vulnerable.
Agreed, I just find it strange that people believe we'd be able to stay in a lockdown indefinitely. People don't seem to understand that it is a short term containment measure to try and put us in a position to cope with the virus going forwards. 
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2326 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:22:19 »

I’m probably getting this completely wrong, but something I read labelled the strategy a ‘hammer and a dance’ - you go hard now when the infection rate is something like 2-3 per person, until it gets down to about 0.5, then you slowly release the restrictions and target an infection rate to hover just below 1, tightening and softening restrictions in more short term and flexible ways (e.g. localising lockdowns in certain areas, rather than a blanket approach) until a permanent end game is reached (be that vaccination, herd immunity, cheap reliable cure)

No idea how feasible that is from a practical standpoint, and I’ve almost certainly misunderstood it - but sounds sensible in my idyllic world

Things get better but they never get good
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2327 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:23:12 »

And ‘hammer and a dance’ is a badass strategy name

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2328 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:40:10 »

I think that's something we can all unify round Smiley
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2329 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:42:02 »

Sounds about right to me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2330 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:47:50 »

Northants Chief Constable threatening to implement roadblocks and searching shopping trolleys

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/police-threaten-search-shopping-trolleys-check-buying-essentials-12532339/?ITO=squid

Ignore
« Reply #2331 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 10:54:05 »

Attempted to get some shopping. So busy out there(tried Sainsbury's and Waitrose). Drove straight out of both and went home as the queues were insane. People stood in pairs, with the kids etc. I'll do without for now as it's fucking stupid out there today.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #2332 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:00:04 »

Why people go out shopping in couples is beyond me.  I get that a single parent may have to take young kids, but going shopping in couples doubles the risk of it being caught and worse doubles the risk of it being spread to the supermarket workers who have little or no protection.

The lack of social distancing being exercised in the shops is frankly scary.

No one kills a thread like me....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2333 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:02:42 »

Remember Matt Hancock said a week or so ago "Now is not the time to talk about a pay rise for NHS staff"? Apparently it is the time to give MPs an extra 10 grand for WFH

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-mps-given-extra-10-000-each-for-home-working-expenses-w0h5sx99l

One rule for them ... as always
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2334 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:11:47 »

Northants Chief Constable threatening to implement roadblocks and searching shopping trolleys

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/police-threaten-search-shopping-trolleys-check-buying-essentials-12532339/?ITO=squid

That’s a slippery slope especially checking people’s trolleys and I don’t think will help in terms of getting people on board, likely to cause more resentment. Also could be argued the checking would actually result in more unnecessary contact.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #2335 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:37:40 »

The £10k for MPs is disgusting. I had to replace my laptop when I started WFH as mine was 12 years old, battery didn’t work and had a cluster of dead pixels in one corner, so that I could continue to ‘teach’ my students. What the actual cunting fuck are they going to splurge £10k for ‘office supplies’?? No receipts required at least so they can do whatever the fuck they like. The cunts.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2336 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:38:41 »

That’s a slippery slope especially checking people’s trolleys and I don’t think will help in terms of getting people on board, likely to cause more resentment. Also could be argued the checking would actually result in more unnecessary contact.

Taser the fuckers.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2337 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:40:16 »

Small mitigation, but the £10k is an addition to their working expenses budget (or whatever it’s called), and is also used to pay for equipment for their staff.

Not saying that as an excuse, but it’s not exactly a £10k pay rise

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2338 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:41:30 »

Remember Matt Hancock said a week or so ago "Now is not the time to talk about a pay rise for NHS staff"? Apparently it is the time to give MPs an extra 10 grand for WFH

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-mps-given-extra-10-000-each-for-home-working-expenses-w0h5sx99l

One rule for them ... as always

Disgraceful. It's duck pond house take 2.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2339 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:42:27 »

The £10k for MPs is disgusting. I had to replace my laptop when I started WFH as mine was 12 years old, battery didn’t work and had a cluster of dead pixels in one corner, so that I could continue to ‘teach’ my students. What the actual cunting fuck are they going to splurge £10k for ‘office supplies’?? No receipts required at least so they can do whatever the fuck they like. The cunts.

After the second world war and National Service ended there were many old scores settled by individuals who felt that they had been wronged and due to circumstances had no course for redress due to the situation either militarily or in a civilian arena, maybe plod might want to consider this.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: