Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 37339 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:34:55 »

There's always controversy around BBC weather forecasts since they stopped using the Met Office and went to the Dutch Meteogroup. Personally wouldn't trust the BBC on weather any more than politics.

Not disputing what you're saying but I've kept a close eye on the app for several months and I have found it to be really accurate especially with any strong wind or heavy rain in the forecast

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:41:27 »

Just spoken to family just outside Mansfield and they are saying it's currently horrendous,  heavy snow and rain, seem to think there's little chance of it going ahead.   Hope they're wrong, but 9.45 is a bit late for an inspection either way.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:43:25 »

Note for travelling fans: The wind will be predominantly from the SW. While Field Mill is a very exposed ground (another three sider), their main stand sits with it's back to the SW, so may offer some protection. If it does whip over, it'll be straight into away fans faces, in the North Stand.

Sorry I'm not as good looking as Lucy Verasamy but better looking than Michael Fish.

A home game for you?
Hopefully you will be joining us tomorrow if the game goes ahead.
If so I'll keep an eye out for the serial talker.
 Beers

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:47:32 »

Just spoken to family just outside Mansfield and they are saying it's currently horrendous,  heavy snow and rain, seem to think there's little chance of it going ahead.   Hope they're wrong, but 9.45 is a bit late for an inspection either way.

I agree 09:45 is too late it should have been an hour earlier. Also still no mention in the Adver and they always seem to be behind with their news these days!
« Last Edit: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:02:09 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:35:27 »

I agree 09:45 is too late it should have been an hour earlier. Also still no mention in the Adver and they always seem to be behind with their news these days!
On that basis that adver will probably let us know around 11oclock.

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:36:34 »

On that basis that adver will probably let us know around 11oclock.

Best check the official Mansfield website or Twitter feed.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:41:22 »

Good post but the wind speed predicted on the BBC weather app is worse than you have stated. it's saying the wind speeds will be 12:00- 42mph, 13:00 -45mph, 14:00-47mph, 15:00-46mph, 16:00-44mph 17:00-42mph so another disrupted game possible if it goes ahead

You sure that's not kph as that would figure closer to the mph conversion? 42kph is around 25mph. They couldn't be 20mph far apart instrument reading wise. In any case, 47mph hits about 9 on the Beaufort for strong gale and we're talking sustained winds not occasional gusts.

Just spoken to family just outside Mansfield and they are saying it's currently horrendous,  heavy snow and rain, seem to think there's little chance of it going ahead.   Hope they're wrong, but 9.45 is a bit late for an inspection either way.

Trouble with our area, being just SE of the bottom of the Pennine chain there can be quite contrasting weather differences from even in the same town. Amber Valley sits in a weird bowl (like a mini Sheff for terrain). A lot of those towns "sit" on the sides of the bowl so when weather hits, even a town can be protected on one part and not on the other. Amber Valley and Ashfield play a part in neighbouring areas to the east.

A home game for you?
Hopefully you will be joining us tomorrow if the game goes ahead.
If so I'll keep an eye out for the serial talker.
 Beers

I'd planned to be and it would be my "home" game but I'll be further North near my rents. Had other stuff going on this month and into March so unfortunately miss out (if it's on). Have a pint of Plum Porter in the Squire Musters for me Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:41:57 »

Best check the official Mansfield website or Twitter feed.
Yeah,  but still going to be 10ish I should imagine.   As l'm an hour south of Swindon it makes it all a little tight.  Even leaving Swindon at 10 it will still be 1-1.30 before getting there,  and that's assuming there will be no problems on the M1.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 18:34:34 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
There's always controversy around BBC weather forecasts since they stopped using the Met Office and went to the Dutch Meteogroup. Personally wouldn't trust the BBC on weather any more than politics.

the met office web site is pretty inaccurate in my experience. The BBC TV weather is still much better. Not used their website much though.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 19:03:11 »

Never trusted them since Michael Fish
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 19:05:13 »

You sure that's not kph as that would figure closer to the mph conversion? 42kph is around 25mph. They couldn't be 20mph far apart instrument reading wise. In any case, 47mph hits about 9 on the Beaufort for strong gale and we're talking sustained winds not occasional gusts.

Probably gusts but then it was the same last weekend although stronger and they got it spot on

Trouble with our area, being just SE of the bottom of the Pennine chain there can be quite contrasting weather differences from even in the same town. Amber Valley sits in a weird bowl (like a mini Sheff for terrain). A lot of those towns "sit" on the sides of the bowl so when weather hits, even a town can be protected on one part and not on the other. Amber Valley and Ashfield play a part in neighbouring areas to the east.

I'd planned to be and it would be my "home" game but I'll be further North near my rents. Had other stuff going on this month and into March so unfortunately miss out (if it's on). Have a pint of Plum Porter in the Squire Musters for me Pint

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 20:36:23 »

Never trusted them since Michael Fish

What? I don’t believe what I’m reading. Your beloved left wing BBC giving money to a European company? I’d have thought you’d be purring like a cat over that piece of business. However, let’s face it, you don't trust anything or anyone, I doubt you trust yourself.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 20:59:17 »

As much as I dont like the BBC reporting the weather is spot on 99% of the time> Didn't know the dutch were responsible. That might explain it.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 21:14:02 »

Wetter.com forecasts wind speed of 34 kph and gusts up to 83 kph for Mansfield tomorrow afternoon :-(
« Last Edit: Friday, February 28, 2020, 21:16:45 by Munichred » Logged
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 23:27:01 »

Weather wise - these guys are very accurate
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Hertford/
Apparently they have an algorithm that looks at all the global forecasts and, based on their track record etc makes a call.
Usually pretty much right

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: