Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 37348 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 10:55:40 »

I don't do buses!

We are bottom end of the lakes (Cartmel peninsula), I can get a train direct to Manchester from the station in the village (although they are crap at the weekends), getting to Mansfield would be fine, back much less so with 5 changes, some dodgy connections which could leave me stranded, a walk across Warrington at 9 o'clock at night, a bloody RRB and if all went to plan (unlikely with northern involved) back here at 0009.

Not to mention the weather !!!!!!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:06:47 »

Talking of which,  looking like thermals will be needed tomorrow.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #62 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:51:52 »

Mansfield fans suggesting the game may be in doubt tomorrow due to the due adverse weather conditions, thats all we need with the midweek fixtures starting to pile up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:52:55 »

As long as they don't leave it until 2pm to call it off   Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:00:05 »

885 tickets sold in advance....
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:36:52 »

Mansfield fans suggesting the game may be in doubt tomorrow due to the due adverse weather conditions, thats all we need with the midweek fixtures starting to pile up.
No plans for a pitch inspection yet ?, anyone know ?.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #66 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:38:57 »

885 tickets sold in advance....

I think considering thats a 3 hour trip each way and 160 miles each way thats a pretty good following, add in the probably poor driving and playing conditions makes it an even better effort. Putting it into context Northampton in 7th place only took 860 to Walsall 2 weeks ago a trip of just 55 miles.

It will easily be our biggest following there since we won the Div 4 championship on 19th April 1986 up there when we took well in excess of 2,500 and probably nearer 3,000 fans as no official figure was ever given out, the attendance that day was 8,416 in total and there was not an inch of space in the crammed away end.

Still one of my all time favourite away games ever, always great to be there when your club finally win their first Football League title. Also the memory of Mansfield playing "We are the champions" over the tannoy post game sends shivers down the spine.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 14:37:55 »

Pitch inspection 9.45 in the morning.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 14:49:23 »

Trying to call the game off because of a bit of wind and rain. You wouldn't catch us trying to do that  Too Cool

Dry and bright in Mansfield from 11am tomorrow, but rain all night.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 28, 2020, 14:53:35 by Gnasher » Logged

Cats are better than dogs FACT
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:19:36 »

Fingers crossed it's on, could do without another midweek game.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:35:35 »

Fingers crossed it's on, could do without another midweek game.

Would ordinarily agree - particularly as tickets bought for tomorrow. However if it goes ahead, the game is likely to be severely impacted again by very strong winds and the playing surface doesnt look the best on which to play a passing game, which will not help us. Also we now have a very strong squad that should be able to cope with a run of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday games, with cover in just about every position. The weather will hopefully improve from next week, when I am confident we will see a return to the slick passing football we withessed before the storms hit. Irrespective of whether tomorrows game goes ahead, we will be champions come the end of the season.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:46:13 »

Fucking hell,  will be halfway there by then !!.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:46:23 »

Although it has been pissing it down, this way (and pretty much everywhere) there is no sustained rain forecast from 9am through 4pm tomorrow. The wind is forecast to be around 20mph with the odd 30mph gust but 20mph will be the sustained wind speed. That'll help suck up some of the fallen moisture overnight. If it's off, it won't be the wind, it'll be due to a waterlogged pitch caused by today's rain. Like to think the grounds team at Field Mill will be doing what they can. No flood warnings or alerts in Mansfield itself though.

Forecast for KO:

Early morning rain, tailed off from the previous evening will make way for a chilly 6c but clear day, with sunny spells. A moderate to fresh breeze will be present but nothing too strong for our darlings. There will be a chance later on in the afternoon for a rainy shower or two, sometime later in the 2nd half. High of 9c but it'll feel more like 3c and towards dusk, it'll feel more like -3c. Take a hat, gloves and a raincoat (just incase) for that short sprint between stadium and car, coach or train station.

Note for travelling fans: The wind will be predominantly from the SW. While Field Mill is a very exposed ground (another three sider), their main stand sits with it's back to the SW, so may offer some protection. If it does whip over, it'll be straight into away fans faces, in the North Stand.

Sorry I'm not as good looking as Lucy Verasamy but better looking than Michael Fish.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:57:29 »

Although it has been pissing it down, this way (and pretty much everywhere) there is no sustained rain forecast from 9am through 4pm tomorrow. The wind is forecast to be around 20mph with the odd 30mph gust but 20mph will be the sustained wind speed. That'll help suck up some of the fallen moisture overnight. If it's off, it won't be the wind, it'll be due to a waterlogged pitch caused by today's rain. Like to think the grounds team at Field Mill will be doing what they can. No flood warnings or alerts in Mansfield itself though.

Forecast for KO:

Early morning rain, tailed off from the previous evening will make way for a chilly 6c but clear day, with sunny spells. A moderate to fresh breeze will be present but nothing too strong for our darlings. There will be a chance later on in the afternoon for a rainy shower or two, sometime later in the 2nd half. High of 9c but it'll feel more like 3c and towards dusk, it'll feel more like -3c. Take a hat, gloves and a raincoat (just incase) for that short sprint between stadium and car, coach or train station.

Note for travelling fans: The wind will be predominantly from the SW. While Field Mill is a very exposed ground (another three sider), their main stand sits with it's back to the SW, so may offer some protection. If it does whip over, it'll be straight into away fans faces, in the North Stand.

Sorry I'm not as good looking as Lucy Verasamy but better looking than Michael Fish.

Good post but the wind speed predicted on the BBC weather app is worse than you have stated. it's saying the wind speeds will be 12:00- 42mph, 13:00 -45mph, 14:00-47mph, 15:00-46mph, 16:00-44mph 17:00-42mph so another disrupted game possible if it goes ahead
« Last Edit: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:00:14 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:10:04 »

Good post but the wind speed predicted on the BBC weather app is worse than you have stated. it's saying the wind speeds will be 12:00- 42mph, 13:00 -45mph, 14:00-47mph, 15:00-46mph, 16:00-44mph 17:00-42mph so another disrupted game possible if it goes ahead

There's always controversy around BBC weather forecasts since they stopped using the Met Office and went to the Dutch Meteogroup. Personally wouldn't trust the BBC on weather any more than politics.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: