Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The usual crap.  (Read 9996 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 14:55:08 »

When you factor in other than Colchester they have played mainly teams at very bottom of the form table so are clearly getting carried away.

Nevertheless if you take the last 10 games as a guide, which is the Hollowhead era as far as Mariners are concerned they have more points than STFC's last 10.

Hollowhead has turned them around from being terrible when we went to Blundell into something better.  Their fans may note that, last season, Newport were like them 15th after 33 games, and scraped the last PO place.

This is a very difficult game.... must win but we'll need to be at our best.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:06:09 »

Nevertheless if you take the last 10 games as a guide, which is the Hollowhead era as far as Mariners are concerned they have more points than STFC's last 10.
1 point more, and in that run we played Crewe, Plymouth, Port Vale x2, Northampton and Exeter not to mention Colchester and Newport, 2 bogey teams.

Their run was Morecambe, Colchester, Bradford, FGR, Stevenage, Crawley, Exeter, Orient, Mansfield and Salford.

Thats considerably an easier run of games, it would seem.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:13:09 »

1 point more, and in that run we played Crewe, Plymouth, Port Vale x2, Northampton and Exeter not to mention Colchester and Newport, 2 bogey teams.

Their run was Morecambe, Colchester, Bradford, FGR, Stevenage, Crawley, Exeter, Orient, Mansfield and Salford.

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:30:18 »

Nevertheless it shows that in the 10 game frame of Hollowhead's gaffership, they've got 18 points to our 17, which should tell us that they are now competitive, therefore not an easy game. This contrasts to when we went to Cleethorpes and they were terrible in the middle of a spell of not scoring in 8 consecutive games.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:36:52 »

Nevertheless it shows that in the 10 game frame of Hollowhead's gaffership, they've got 18 points to our 17, which should tell us that they are now competitive, therefore not an easy game.
I don't think anyone has said it will be an easy game, there are no "easy games" any more.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:39:44 »

I don't think anyone has said it will be an easy game, there are no "easy games" any more.

You seemed to imply it by saying that the reason why Mariners record was slightly superior to ours over the last 10 games is because their games were against "easier" opponents
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:42:25 »

Easier than ours Reg
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:42:36 »

You seemed to imply it by saying that the reason why Mariners record was slightly superior to ours over the last 10 games is because their games were against "easier" opponents
Easier in comparison based upon position in the table and with almost every one of those teams being on shit runs when they played them, yes, not "easy" as you imply.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:50:27 »

They’ve also conceded 12 goals to our 10 in that time and we’ve been worried about our defence in that period yet theirs has been worst. Ultimately we beat them comfortably at their place and in the highlights despite their form improving they still look terrible at the back so we should be able to create chances as they look incapable of playing for a 0-0 type performance. If we do our thing we will win as we are without doubt a better team. The same goes for the rest of the teams we have to play in that if we play anywhere near how we can we will win as other than than the Vegans and Cheltenham we’ve already beaten everyone else this season.  Whilst there is no ‘easy’ games it does feel like we worry a bit too much about opponents and almost forget we are top of the league, I have no doubts that Wellens will keep the players focused.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 15:53:41 »

Grimsby last 10 games with position in table of the opposition at time of the game.

Morecambe 23rd
Colchester 6th
Bradford 8th
Crawley 14th
Stevenage 24th
FGR 11th
Exeter 4th
Orient 19th
Mansfield 18th
Salford 12th
Average position played 14th

Swindon last 10 games
Northampton 5th
Carlisle 20th
Exeter 2nd
Colchester 5th
Port Vale 9th
Newport 11th
Crewe 3rd
Bradford 4th
Plymouth 6th
Port Vale 10th
Average position played 7th

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:12:25 »

Grimsby last 10 games with position in table of the opposition at time of the game.

Morecambe 23rd
Colchester 6th
Bradford 8th
Crawley 14th
Stevenage 24th
FGR 11th
Exeter 4th
Orient 19th
Mansfield 18th
Salford 12th
Average position played 14th

Swindon last 10 games
Northampton 5th
Carlisle 20th
Exeter 2nd
Colchester 5th
Port Vale 9th
Newport 11th
Crewe 3rd
Bradford 4th
Plymouth 6th
Port Vale 10th
Average position played 7th

By implication you still suggest that a game Bradford when 8th is easier than a game v Bradford when 4th, and that beating Colu when 6th is easier than playing them when 5th.... don't think it works that way.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:14:45 »

By implication you still suggest that a game Bradford when 8th is easier than a game v Bradford when 4th, and that beating Colu when 6th is easier than playing them when 5th.... don't think it works that way.
You keep making up your own arguments, I am out of here.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:18:46 »

You keep making up your own arguments, I am out of here.

It's for the best.... I'm not shifting from my position that this will be a difficult game because Grimsby are a form team under Holowhead.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:26:02 »

i do believe Vale we’re on a good run before we beat them 3-0. And on a good run after as well.

Maybe there’s no merit in being top of the league. Maybe it’s a pure fluke.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:34:08 »

But you have used the same argument yourself by suggesting that it was easier to play Grimsby earlier in the season than it is now......

When we played Bradford they were on an unbeaten run of 7 matches. They were on a run of 7 winless matches when they played Grimsby.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 16:40:03 by Exiled Bob » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: