Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 76668 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 12:51:55 »

Yea that's the beauty of it, if we do go up, we already have a good league 1 squad in place (give or take a couple of players) not sure if DJ, Benda, Yates etc would stay but being in league one would surely help that and it would be a nice change from the usual summer overhaul of 10-15 players...

We don't. Let's look at it.... of players contracted for next season, you could argue that 7, Fryers, Broadbent, Doughty, Lyden, Hunt, Caddis and Hope, could be relied upon.... others much more questionable, Reid, McGilp, Twine, Curran, Conroy and then Palmer who we don't yet know about.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 12:59:47 »

Yay! We've not even gone up yet and we're doomed already Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #362 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:01:37 »

I know, because if/when we are promoted then players out of contract won't even consider extending their contract, the loan players won't consider a new loan next season, we won't buy any new players for next season......etc etc

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:07:46 »

I know you have a ambivalent relationship with facts, but it's quite easy to point out who is contracted for next season pending Costanza's disclaimer.

A more grown up response would be to look at who we've got contracted and consider if they are likely to be good enough for Div 3 if it happens.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:11:38 »

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:16:18 »

We don't. Let's look at it.... of players contracted for next season, you could argue that 7, Fryers, Broadbent, Doughty, Lyden, Hunt, Caddis and Hope, could be relied upon.... others much more questionable, Reid, McGilp, Twine, Curran, Conroy and then Palmer who we don't yet know about.
To be fair,  other than Conroy would we miss any of the 'more questionable ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:23:05 »

To be fair,  other than Conroy would we miss any of the 'more questionable ?.

I don't know about the likes of Curran and McGilp, it seems we signed them on potential, and so I suppose it's possible that they may yet come good, but atm you wouldn't be hanging your hat on them for a Div 3 campaign. Conroy is just obviously an injury doubt, so you'd need to cover him, rather than regard as a first pick..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:30:54 »

I know, because if/when we are promoted then players out of contract won't even consider extending their contract, the loan players won't consider a new loan next season, we won't buy any new players for next season......etc etc

The original point made by River Monster was that we already have a good squad in place potentially for Div 3 next season. I don't think that is the case as it stands.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:41:34 »

The original point made by River Monster was that we already have a good squad in place potentially for Div 3 next season. I don't think that is the case as it stands.
Yes, but we don't have a strong enough squad already.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:06:16 »

Yes, but we don't have a strong enough squad already.

Back in very early Power days it looked like we were attempting to operate on what might be caled a 2 year cycle.... get players in and give them a couple of years to develop and then sell.  Probably the last time, it looked as if we were carrying through a potentially decent squad was from 13/14 to 14/15.

Then we had 10 or 11 as a core..... Fods, Nathan T, Byrne, Luongo, Kasim, Louis T, Gladwin, M Smith, Branco, A Williams  Darren Ward was still kicking around, but not used.

This was what Power called the "Swindon Way" When it went tits up and was binned the current more short termism came in
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:09:14 »

I doubt very many clubs in the bottom two divisions are operating much differently when it comes to contract length these days.  Gone are the days of getting players signed-up on 5 year contracts - for starters, as you often point out, the Manager changes so frequently it creates a huge cost implication to have players on longer contracts when a new Manager will want to clear the decks.  Nearly all signings you see down here are 12-24 months in length.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:28:56 »

It's nice to see you focussing on life in the division above Reg. Very promising in terms of positivity. That's huge strides from the days of uncertainty, regarding heading for the relegation trapdoor of the Football League and Non-League obscurity.

I salute you, you're a changed man. After all, relegation from League One (Div 3) is much more positive than relegation from League Two (Div 4). I don't know what has caused this bout of positivity but long may it continue. Maybe it was related to the recent array of beauties on display in the "Birds you would..." thread? Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:39:19 »

It's nice to see you focussing on life in the division above Reg. Very promising in terms of positivity. That's huge strides from the days of uncertainty, regarding heading for the relegation trapdoor of the Football League and Non-League obscurity.

I salute you, you're a changed man. After all, relegation from League One (Div 3) is much more positive than relegation from League Two (Div 4). I don't know what has caused this bout of positivity but long may it continue. Maybe it was related to the recent array of beauties on display in the "Birds you would..." thread? Hmmm

No different to what I've always done, look at things and make a considered judgement.... in this case with just over a couple of months to go in the season and right in the mix for auto, promotion is a possibilty. 

Still a lot of work to do though, if you look at a season like 85/86 we were 15 points clear in the auto race, at the same stage. That's the sort of thing whereby you start thinking when not if.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:42:49 »

How confident of promotion are you Reg?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Monday, February 24, 2020, 14:47:29 »

How confident of promotion are you Reg?

60% chance of auto.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up