Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 76689 times)
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 20:10:43 »

Also got a good GD..... only conceded 10 goals on the road which is impressive..... as you say quietly going about it, be intersting in midweek to see how they cope when pressure comes on, Plymuff for example have shown how difficult it can be to just find wins when you need them... beat Crewe but then couldn't back it up v Macc and Cambridge.
Interesting comments from Wellens from his pre match presser. He said the bottom of the table is skewed because only one team will go down this year. Would normally have teams just about staying up on 45 points.

This year the pressure is off with one down and Stevensge cut adrift. Wellens said the points those relegation threatened teams might otherwise pick up are going to teams at the top. It means it might take more points for auto and a Bury going up last year on 79 points is very unlikely.

I think another 6 wins and a few draws from our remaining 12 games should be enough. If we can put together another couple of quick wins that task becomes a lot easier.
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:04:00 »

It wouldnt be the first time hes been in trouble on t'radio if anything comes from this!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3745624.outrage-at-albion-pundits-disabled-jibe/

Anyone who uses the phrase "window lickers" needs to take a long hard look at himself
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:14:29 »

every 80s/90s schoolboy is now staring at his shoes. told.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:33:17 »

Anyone who uses the phrase "window lickers" needs to take a long hard look at himself

Not condoning that term in a standalone sense but I think context has to be considered in that case. We're all susceptible for saying something that makes us look stupid. I think in Hawes case he genuinely was caught up in that moment. Which was an incredibly wrong moment.

I'm certain it was realised by both himself and the lead presenter almost straightaway the error. In fact it does go on to say that the lead presenter apologised live on air several times for what was said.

"To err is human.
Forgive, divine."

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:47:14 »

A good performance and win in tricky conditions.
I thought we managed the conditions well second half and that the Lyden substitution gave us an increased level of control.
Grimsby played some neat stuff in midfield, but at times were a bit panicky at the back, and also not a big threat up front.
Re Grant - I think he may have been carrying either a knock or a bug - we sit in the Arkells roughly behind the dug out, and when RW came to the touch line after about 20 mins first half, he clearly asked Grant if he was ok or needed to come off. Despite this, and the handicap of an early booking when Doughty’s loose pass gave the ball away he managed the game well without looking his normal immense presence.
I also thought the ref did ok - the 7 mins stoppage time was not disproportionate, as we had 6 substitutions and  4 goals in the second half (at 30 seconds each that accounts for 5 of the 7 mins), and in addition to those there was the long delay taking a corner when the ball kept being blown away and I think one injury stoppage.
Still 12 games to go - a quarter of the season - if we win 6 or possibly 7 of those it will be enough for top 3. This squad is good enough to do that.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:55:34 »

Well if you were a mirror licker you could.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 23:10:27 »

As has been mentioned when people get nervous about teams catching us etc, all the top 4 will drop points between now and the end of the season. We will do too, we may even be overhauled at the top for a period. But then those doing the overhauling will have their own "wobble" we didn't expect because sometimes we look at a team's form and just assume that will continue come what may. At least 3, probably all 4, of the top 4 will be in the top 4 come end of April. We will be one of them and we will be in the automatic slots. 5 more wins needed.
Equally we have shown we are capable of winning 7 on the spin, if we were to do that now then that would be us up. Would be nice to get the job done nice and early for once.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 23:18:14 »

At the Vagabond's request. Cunt.
Many thanks my friend

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 23:28:07 »

Flash's guts were bad again  Sad
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 08:18:06 »

I didn't realise that Cheltenham have actually lost the fewest number of games - 6. I agree that they are still involved, quietly picking up points.....
Also didn't realise Liverpool are the only team in the UK leagues to have won more games than us.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 09:13:03 »

It seems a long time since we have had such a good home record - 9 wins and a draw from the last 10 home games.

Can’t see how or why that will change much between now and season’s end. Even though we have actually been fairly comfortable in games at the CG, the hangover from seasons of capitulating still produces that feeling of impending doom - probably where Reg gets it from!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 09:15:19 »

Glad we put Holloway in his place. Could see some flat cap action in the away dugout.
Having said that Grimsby were a vast improvement on the first game in December and played some nice football in the first half, but like most teams in this league lack the consistent quality up front.

Maybe could have had done a bit better with some of the breakaway situations when they went 3 at the back.

That's last seasons points total surpassed with 12 games to go and another win will see off the Flitcroft and Brown effort. Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 09:26:44 »

It seems a long time since we have had such a good home record - 9 wins and a draw from the last 10 home games.

Can’t see how or why that will change much between now and season’s end. Even though we have actually been fairly comfortable in games at the CG, the hangover from seasons of capitulating still produces that feeling of impending doom - probably where Reg gets it from!
Looking back at the 2006/7 and 2011/12 League 2 promotions continuing the home form from this point (34 games) is what secured promotion. Both those teams only dropped points at home once.

Sturrock's team dropped off away from home but ground out a couple of wins and goalless draws.

Di Canio's team kept winning away from home apart from Crewe away and when it all went nuts with dropping players for Aldershot and Gillingham.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 09:44:20 »

Four wins secures playoffs. We don’t want that shit, expensive day out and a lottery. We’re going up top three, being saying that since, well, autumn and nothing has changed my mind that won’t be so.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #314 on: Sunday, February 23, 2020, 10:15:39 »

Also didn't realise Liverpool are the only team in the UK leagues to have won more games than us.
If you do mean UK then Celtic have won more and Rangers the same.

If you mean England then Barrow have won the same but nobody has won more, in the top 4 English leagues though that is a fact for sure.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: