Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 77111 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #285 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 17:58:00 »

Grant does seem a bit moody at time.

Not petulant moody or miserable moody. More "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" moody.

That's probably one reason why he's so fucking awesome.
Hes always had a bit of a reputation for that in his career, I wouldn't change him at all, hes a great player at this level.

His head went down when he was booked so early on as he couldnt play his normal aggressive game, he was probably told to hold back a bit by Wellens/Hunt, which to be fair he did. Not his best game but he was still far from bad today.

I must admit I never saw if he celebrated our goals or not at the time. He looked fine from the viewpoint of iFollow but you don't get to see everything when watching on there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:02:28 »

It wouldnt be the first time hes been in trouble on t'radio if anything comes from this!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3745624.outrage-at-albion-pundits-disabled-jibe/

I think reading that it was instigated by his colleague and Hawes got "caught up" in that moment. When looking in context, I don't think either were directly attacking disabled people. Still shouldn't have been said though.

We know though this day in age people have to be more aware of what they say. We do have to look at context though and if it is in the character of the individual. We also have to be aware that our values aren't necessarily outdated, thus adapting to what is acceptable and what isn't. This though will always divide opinion somewhat.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:02:33 »

Hes always had a bit of a reputation for that in his career, I wouldn't change him at all, hes a great player at this level.

His head went down when he was booked so early on as he couldnt play his normal aggressive game, he was probably told to hold back a bit by Wellens/Hunt, which to be fair he did. Not his best game but he was still far from bad today.

I must admit I never saw if he celebrated our goals or not at the time. He looked fine from the viewpoint of iFollow but you don't get to see everything when watching on there.
I’ve watched back and he didn’t celebrate at all but that could be for any reason, players have personal lives as well, Wellens wouldn’t play him if anything untoward had happened.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #288 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:03:39 »

I’ve watched back and he didn’t celebrate at all but that could be for any reason, players have personal lives as well, Wellens wouldn’t play him if anything untoward had happened.
Absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:15:56 »

Wouldn't it be nice to play a Saturday game in something other than wind.  Useful results elsewhere today, don't think Numb are out of the picture yet given they've still to come to us... they've a visit from Cobblers on Tuesday, for their gih.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:19:50 »

Well that’s good to see. He still wasn’t a happy bunny today regardless.
Probably lost at paintball.....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:23:37 »

Wouldn't it be nice to play a Saturday game in something other than wind.  Useful results elsewhere today, don't think Numb are out of the picture yet given they've still to come to us... they've a visit from Cobblers on Tuesday, for their gih.
Tbf, we seem to defend against it very well. That’s Exeter and Grimsby who haven’t done a thing with the wind at their back.
They fucked about at the back in the Luke Warm mould. It’s good to see us just hoof it now and again.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:25:45 »

I didn't realise that Cheltenham have actually lost the fewest number of games - 6. I agree that they are still involved, quietly picking up points.....
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:34:39 »

I didn't realise that Cheltenham have actually lost the fewest number of games - 6. I agree that they are still involved, quietly picking up points.....
I don’t think they are too much of a threat to us, even winning their game in hand and beating us would see them still 3 points behind us. I’d like to think come full time next Tuesday we will be in a very commanding position.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:42:31 »

I think the Lyden / DJ substitution was pivotal today. Lyden gave us a lot more composure in midfield as it was becoming a bit of s free for all.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:48:37 »

I don’t think they are too much of a threat to us, even winning their game in hand and beating us would see them still 3 points behind us. I’d like to think come full time next Tuesday we will be in a very commanding position.

Agree.

Points on the board and all that. I'm sure Newport fans will look at the table and still believe they can make the POs. With three G-i-H on Col U they'd be "in the mix" but like Numb, they have to win them first. Reality always tells us that teams will drop points (even "form" sides like Grimsby).

We will win this league and I won't be losing sleep over what Cheltenham can or can't do. I have insomnia so it's moot anyway.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 19:03:13 »

Also got a good GD..... only conceded 10 goals on the road which is impressive..... as you say quietly going about it, be intersting in midweek to see how they cope when pressure comes on, Plymuff for example have shown how difficult it can be to just find wins when you need them... beat Crewe but then couldn't back it up v Macc and Cambridge.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 19:21:39 »

Really could've been 6-1 and not even at our best (again).

“...and Town have torn Grimsby a new one...”
~ Andrew Hawes 22/02/2020

Don't think I've ever heard a BBC commentator use that term before. Excellent.

Nearly spat my coffee out when I heard that.  Glad it wasn't just me that noticed.  In fairness, AH is a fan and we had just gone 3-0 up...but I'll imagine words will have been had.  : )
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 19:39:44 »

Nearly spat my coffee out when I heard that.  Glad it wasn't just me that noticed.  In fairness, AH is a fan and we had just gone 3-0 up...but I'll imagine words will have been had.  : )

Similarly, I was just making a brew at the time and had to rewind it as thought "naa he didn't!"

As with many local commentaries teams, wears his supporting heart on his sleeve. Must be tempting at times to let a "Get the fuck in" slip out. That'd make for an interesting conversation in debrief  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Saturday, February 22, 2020, 20:10:42 »

A couple of excellent results today for us at the top in L2.

Plymouth only drawing at home vs Cambridge, Exeter getting beaten 2-0 at Northampton, thats 2 defeats in the last 5 for Exeter and Plymouth getting just 2 wins in the last 5, with their last 2 games being drawn.

Crewe seem to be putting a little run of results together with 1 loss and 4 wins in the last 5 now.

FGR down in 10th place are now a huge 20 point behind us!

Bradford in 9th place are 15 point behind us now too!

We are in a very nice position it has to be said.
As has been mentioned when people get nervous about teams catching us etc, all the top 4 will drop points between now and the end of the season. We will do too, we may even be overhauled at the top for a period. But then those doing the overhauling will have their own "wobble" we didn't expect because sometimes we look at a team's form and just assume that will continue come what may. At least 3, probably all 4, of the top 4 will be in the top 4 come end of April. We will be one of them and we will be in the automatic slots. 5 more wins needed.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: