Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 76702 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #60 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:22:34 »

Doyle is a great finisher but he also contributes so much more, much like Yates.

They are both team players and we look a far better team with both in the side even if neither score.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:22:45 »

I feel a big win coming on. Can’t shake the feeling off of a 5-2.

I’ll have a few quid on that.

Very brave,  but would love it if you were correct.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:32:24 »

Baudry still not ready but Keshi and Caddis fit.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:35:54 »

Baudry still not ready but Keshi and Caddis fit.
The attacking options on our bench are going to be ridiculous tomorrow.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #64 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:37:44 »

The attacking options on our bench are going to be ridiculous tomorrow.
With Baudry back too we have a very strong squad indeed, Conroy hoping to be back fit by April too!

Panda Paws

« Reply #65 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:41:49 »

With Baudry back too we have a very strong squad indeed, Conroy hoping to be back fit by April too!

DC has said he won't play again this season, and isn't targetting it unless we're Champions and he trots on for a few mins. All about prepping for next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:46:38 »

Very brave,  but would love it if you were correct.

Since I've been going, 1962, there have been 7 instances of a 5-2 scoreline at the CG in our favour.

Brentford in 62...  then bizarrely 2 instances v both Sheffield clubs, which we backed up with the most recent instance  in 14/15, with a second instance v Blades.

These include a couple of classic games.... Wovers in the most violent off field game ever at the CG  and Leicester in a must win relegation battle.  Leaving a more prosaic job v Burslem in 13/14
« Last Edit: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:48:40 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #67 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:47:06 »

Fishy fans getting their fishy knickers in a twais when I suggested their keeper looked poor int he highlights from recent games and in the away game earlier in the season!

Nice to know they care!

He looked one of the weakest keepers to play against us and I saw nothign in the highlights to suggest he has improved that much since then, they disagree and say they can't get a world class keeper in L2....well I hate to tell them this....Benda is up there, any keeper in L2 thats being watched by 3 or 4 Premier league sides at the tender age of 21 is pretty good.

Whereas they have a jobbing 30 year old who has only played 5 games above L2 and barely 150 games at league level, that says it all.

Watch him have the game of his life against us now! Cheesy

NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:53:12 »

I have just looked at BBC weather forecast and they are now saying high winds around lunchtime and easing to  moderate (20mph) winds by 3pm. The latter is IIRC similar to either Crewe or Exeter. This will make the game more difficult than calmer conditions unfortunately.
I think we should win this - as Grimsby clearly aren’t as good as either of those teams. They have improved results under Holloway (from a low base) but we are unbeaten  in 3 , and we are still top after a run of hard fixtures and others playing their games in hand. Also our injured players are becoming available again.
I predict a Swindon win by 1 or 2 goals.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:55:52 »

2-1 to us. Not that it will be an easy game Wink
Peter Venkman

« Reply #70 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:57:17 »

A few comments from Grim fans about tomorrow...

Any Swindon fan coming to BP that day would have seen a club in almost terminal decline after nearly two decades of failure. On and off the pitch it was dire. Previous manager Jolley* had lost the plot, and was on the way to being sacked, and the players were square pegs in round holes and had a very defensive mindset. We were lucky if we ever got into the opposition box.
The team and the town has been energised by Holloway's arrival; he has made some astute signings and got our existing players believing in his way of playing the game and playing more to their potential. As a result we are much more attack minded, scoring more goals and look a decent team going forward.
You will rightly be firm favourites, but we should put up a much better show this time around. You will know we won at Colchester recently with three goals, one of which was a team goal involving 10 players from our box to theirs, and a wonder individual goal.
We are in much better shape, but as always may the best team win.

Colchester have done the double over Swindon already this season winning 3-0 at Swindon and 3-1 at home, they also beat them 3-0 in the EFL Cup, so we're nailed on for a win obviously.

I think both teams will be happy with a draw,

We’d settle for a point now but really can’t see us getting anything, even with improved performances.
We’ve still got a poor 45 minutes in us, as seen at Bradford and you’d expect someone like Swindon to punish us for that, unlike Bradford, who were equally as bobbins..

We did nothing against you(Swindon) that day. Probably in part due to the rut we’d found ourselves in combined with a lack of quality, but I’d say more because your of your outstanding side in comparison. Grant and Doughty bossed the game, they are top class for this division.
I think we can give you a good game on Saturday now though. We are a completely different side these days with a new mindset, and we have Vernam, showing form worthy of a league above ours. If you beat us I’d be surprised if it’s by more than 1 goal.

I would be happy with a draw. We have already had a couple of notable away wins (Exeter and Colchester) and its unlikely we can keep on pulling this results off against top sides on their own patch.

Let's hope we give you lot a run for your money and it's an entertaining game. A point would be good but another Vernam hat-trick would be better.

A little confused why one of their fans think we would be happy with a draw? I somehow don't think so.

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:59:46 »

I'm also going for a narrow 2-1 win, in what may prove to be a tricky encounter. The wind will yet again be a factor, but at least it's going to be mostly dry for a change!

Would be nice to see 9000 there, but probably closer to 8k.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #72 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:10:52 »

Baudry still not fit for tommorows game, but Keshi and Caddis are.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:25:27 »

2-1 to us. Not that it will be an easy game Wink
I have to disagree with you Paul, I don't think it will be an easy game at all... it's going to be a hard game and nothing you can say will make me change my mind...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:26:37 »

If Anderson is 100% I'd go for..

Benda
Caddis REG Fryers Hunt
Doughty Grant
Anderson DJ Yates
Doyle

He might be a bit rusty so maybe swap him for Isgrove.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: