Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 132. Jerel Ifil  (Read 6293 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 08:59:10 »

Good as always, but quite a peculiar listen as he seems to recall being much better than I recall him actually being.

Nice to hear that he has found god, so his distribution must have improved considerably.  Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:12:41 »

Good as always, but quite a peculiar listen as he seems to recall being much better than I recall him actually being.

Nice to hear that he has found god, so his distribution must have improved considerably.  Wink
Tbf his claims that Vialli thought he was the next big thing largely predate his time with us. I thought he came across well, but then I always really liked him when he was here so I suppose I'm naturally predisposed to like him on the pod
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:23:50 »

Tbf his claims that Vialli thought he was the next big thing largely predate his time with us. I thought he came across well, but then I always really liked him when he was here so I suppose I'm naturally predisposed to like him on the pod

I was more talking about his time here and afterwards (I slept through the first bit), I recall him being our own version of Titus Bramble, great with someone next to him telling him what to do, pretty poor when left to think for himself, which made all his talk about tactics rather interesting.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:28:09 »

I was more talking about his time here and afterwards (I slept through the first bit), I recall him being our own version of Titus Bramble, great with someone next to him telling him what to do, pretty poor when left to think for himself, which made all his talk about tactics rather interesting.
I see what you mean but I think it made it all the more pertinent, i.e. he wasn't sure what to do and got little or no guidance from a manager who just assumed he should know. I quite liked the fact that he was cross about that. He may well be rewriting history, which I think is what you're hinting at, but the fact he's still a bit cross about it I think says a lot about his desire to be the best he could be. I like that personally
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:47:17 »

I probably watched at least 80% of the games he played for us and I’d describe him exactly as above. Which I feel a bit harsh about because he was good player and decent bloke.

If his mental attributes had matches his physical attributes he’d have been Rio Ferdinand.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:49:23 »

I absolutely loved Jerel. He had his faults, but his man marking and recovery pace were incredible.

I met him once and he came across as a really nice guy - probably helps the misty-eyed memories.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:53:48 »

When Jerel signed on loan from Watford he looked raw but a really good player, always had a few faults but was a good tackler, decent in the air and had bags of pace, could pass a ball too.

He had pretty poor concentration at times though and lost his man often in games, certainly nearer the end of his time with us.

Gave everything he had though and you can't fault him for that, like a poor mans Jon Gittens.

Onoura and Malpas brought the worst out of him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 09:55:30 »

Like others I remember him as a very good player, but needed guidance on the pitch.

I also remember him getting a red card once for a high foot, after clearing a ball with no other player near him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:03:27 »

Like others I remember him as a very good player, but needed guidance on the pitch.

I also remember him getting a red card once for a high foot, after clearing a ball with no other player near him.

I remember one at home to Hartlepool in the last minute he kicked the ball clear with Adam Boyd stood vaguely next to him outside the box and the ref gave a penalty (which gave Hartlepool a 1-0 win)

Might be the same incident but don’t think he got sent off. Could well be wrong though
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:05:12 »

My synapses may be getting a little crossed, but there was an incident something to do with him kicking a ball away.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:10:08 »

My synapses may be getting a little crossed, but there was an incident something to do with him kicking a ball away.

Just over 1 min in.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:10:19 »

This was the game

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20090131

No Adam Boyd though...

I remember a game away at Bradford and their player broke through (think we were 2-1 up at the time) he was heading towards goal, One and one and out of nowhere Ifil just takes one for the team by completely taking him out. We held on and won.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20050126
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:12:07 by DV Canio » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:32:41 »

This is the game he specifically menrtioned in the interview...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20080116

Never realised how many times he got bloody sent off! http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=IFILJERE

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 11:17:02 »

I seem to remember him picking the ball up to to take a throw in one game, the only trouble is the ball hadn’t gone out of play and the opposing side scored from the free kick.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 11:18:49 »

I seem to remember him picking the ball up to to take a throw in one game, the only trouble is the ball hadn’t gone out of play and the opposing side scored from the free kick.

Torquay at home.
Think it was a header from the free kick. Possibly Akinfenwa? Or maybe Constantine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: