Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rivals  (Read 21308 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:07:07 »

ES actually got relegated a couple of years back when the Scots introduced up and down from the non leagues.

A few years back both Northwich Victoiria and Witton Albion were in the Conference together, which from a town of just over 40,000 was impressive.

How shit must they have been to get relegated out of the Scottish league
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:11:15 »

Edinburgh used to have 3 but I think Meadowbank Thistle went out of business and I think were franchised to Livingston (that could be wrong). There is another team in Edinburgh now called Spartans that play in the Lowland league along with Gretna 2008 and Berwick Rangers who fell into 'non-league' now they have introduced promotion and relegation from the Lowland/Highland leagues into the league.

Meadowbank Thistle, used to be Ferranti Thistle, but when the gained promotion to the SFL, the powers thhat be wouldn't allow a commercial name in, so they changed to Meadowbank, which I believe was a Commonwealth Games stadium they used.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:14:03 »

Meadowbank Thistle, used to be Ferranti Thistle, but when the gained promotion to the SFL, the powers thhat be wouldn't allow a commercial name in, so they changed to Meadowbank, which I believe was a Commonwealth Games stadium they used.

Yes it was. I used to live not a million miles away from it and play football very close to the 'stadium' which was not very impressive at all (both the stadium and my footballing ability)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:15:00 »

Edinburgh is back to full complement of 3 teams, Edinburgh City are in the big time as of a few seasons back

you are or course correct. I should have known that really! Guess I have been focusing too much on the malaise at the Jambos!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:15:38 »

Yes it was. I used to live not a million miles away from it and play football very close to the 'stadium' which was not very impressive at all (both the stadium and my footballing ability)

[tans] How shit must you have been not to get into Scottish league football? [/tans]
 Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:16:34 »

How shit must they have been to get relegated out of the Scottish league

Brechin City are in line for this seasons relegation PO, couple of years back they were Div2, but got relegated famously with no wins all season a whopping 4 points and have continued to slide.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:17:31 »

[tans] How shit must you have been not to get into Scottish league football? [/tans]
 Wink

With 2 snapped achilles tendons and an ACL rupture in my left knee I was always hampered by injuries!!

And this is having never played proper competitive football - all done in 5/7/8 a side friendly games!!

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:22:52 »

With 2 snapped achilles tendons and an ACL rupture in my left knee I was always hampered by injuries!!

And this is having never played proper competitive football - all done in 5/7/8 a side friendly games!!

Lame.

(Literally.)

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:29:15 »

Interesting things I've discovered about Witton, a suburb of Northwich.

1) They allowed rivals Northwich Victoria back into the town when they agreed to ground-share their 4500 capacity Wincham Park stadium in 2015, Victoria's previous stadium, also in Wincham, having been demolished only 10 years after its construction!
2) Scouse comedian John Bishop played for them in the 80s
3) Their other main rivalry these days is with a third local team, 1874 Northwich, a club run by disgruntled Northwich Victoria fans!

Definition of hotbed.
I guess so.... it's interesting readng up about this stuff.  Vics used to play at Drill Field which was reckoned the oldest continuously used ground in England... 1875.  It got sold to developers and turned to houses in the nougties, and Vics moved to a new ground, they then went bust, dodgy owners, and some fans formed a phoenix club 1874 Northwich.  Vics carried on however and now groundshare with Witton.

Mate of mine worked in the bar (Vics Club) at Drill Field in the early 90's before he came to university (where I met him) and used to confirm that the rivalry between Vics and Witton was very strong, also used to bore us rigid about the age of the ground, all this despite having literally no interest in football. The only football match I am aware he ever attended was the Newcastle-Stevenage replay at SJP in 1998 after they had knocked us out in the previous round.

The most amusing thing was that the big hard core Witton chant was simply 'Zigger Zagger, Zigger Zagger, Albion'!  
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:03:50 »

Brechin City are in line for this seasons relegation PO, couple of years back they were Div2, but got relegated famously with no wins all season a whopping 4 points and have continued to slide.

I watched Cowdenbeath play brechin a few weeks ago. I’m not exaggerating to say that supermarine would comfortably beat both

Odd ground too, with the banger racing track round the outside

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:21:33 »

I watched Cowdenbeath play brechin a few weeks ago. I’m not exaggerating to say that supermarine would comfortably beat both

Ace.... for quiz purposes I did once learn all the Scottish grounds.  So was it Central or Glebe Park?

These days though like with some of the English grounds, moves, new clubs and stupid sponsorship names means it's just not worth it any longer.  Scottish nickmames are fun mind....Cowden = Blue Brazil  Smiley
« Last Edit: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:47:19 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #86 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:25:28 »

I watched St Johnstone v Motherwell last season in the Scots Prem.

I would think we would easily beat both those sides too very comfortably. The standard of Scottish football is street behind England. Only the top 3 or 4 teams in the Scottish Prem would match or better teams in League 2.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:06:44 »

The most amusing thing was that the big hard core Witton chant was simply 'Zigger Zagger, Zigger Zagger, Albion'!  

I wonder if that relates to the character (a football hooligan) in the play of the same name from the late 60's.
Also screened by the BBC.
Vaguely recall it being picked up in the school playground in the early 70's by kids who watched Town at the time.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:13:01 »

Ace.... for quiz purposes I did once learn all the Scottish grounds.  So was it Central or Glebe Park?

These days though like with some of the English grounds, moves, new clubs and stupid sponsorship names means it's just not worth it any longer.  Scottish nickmames are fun mind....Cowden = Blue Brazil  Smiley

Central Park

Annoyingly I only found out Craig Easton is the assistant manager there whilst on the train back, else I’d have tried to seek him out and ask his experiences of being the 1/2 in Maurice The Maverick Malpas favoured 4-3 1/2 - 2 1/2 formation

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:17:13 »

Ace.... for quiz purposes I did once learn all the Scottish grounds.  So was it Central or Glebe Park?

These days though like with some of the English grounds, moves, new clubs and stupid sponsorship names means it's just not worth it any longer.  Scottish nickmames are fun mind....Cowden = Blue Brazil  Smiley

When I lived in Edinburgh the only lower league side I went to see was a game at Ochilvue Reg. Who was I watching?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: