Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rivals  (Read 21304 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:10:44 »

Not Swindon related, but I vividly remember going with a friend (who as a Wolves fan) to Wolves v. Chelsea in the early 80's when I was about 6. We went with his nan and whilst we had no bother there seemed to be trouble all around us, it sticks in my mind almost being flattened by a riot copper on a horse outside the ground.
Panda Paws

« Reply #61 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:21:03 »

We were caught up in this.  It was horrible.  A pack of feral chavs waded in to a peaceful beer garden with baseball bats on a lovely, sunny afternoon.  It came out of nowhere & took us a few stunned seconds to realise what was going on but, luckily, then managed to get inside the pub to take refuge.  Others got cornered & weren't as lucky.  Some ended up in A&E with fractures.  I've been watching Swindon for 30 years & I've never seen anything like it before or since.

TEF thread from 2007

Really bizarrely, I am the post after yours on that thread and sat here now I have absolutely ZERO recollection of this, to point where I'm tempted to accuse my younger self of lying.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:24:20 »

Really bizarrely, I am the post after yours on that thread and sat here now I have absolutely ZERO recollection of this, to point where I'm tempted to accuse my younger self of lying.

A GANG of 20 hooligans armed with baseball bats attacked Swindon Town fans before the team's crucial match with Bristol Rovers. The unprovoked violence took place at the Inn on the Green pub in Horfield, Bristol, at about 1.30pm as about 30 Town fans gathered for a friendly pre-match drink before the crunch encounter.30 Apr 2007
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk › ...

So, give no fucks
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:25:20 »

Well you describe it just as I remembered it, so fair to assume you were there!  Put it down to age, or a psychological defence mechanism to protect your memory from the horror of it all...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:38:28 »

I forgot about the potential groundshare. Remember the inn on the green quite well though, there were some guys in the away end covered in blood. The next few encounters with Rovers were tasty but it quickly died down.

When we beat City 3-2 a few years ago (Ajose got a couple for us I think) me and my other half were walking back to our car with my mate and his old man and got stopped by police. We basically stood still while City fans threw coins and bottles at us. I think people from Bristol are generally a bit cunty.

Also springing back to mind is our last game at the Madejski, a 3-1 win in what must've been 2000-2001 time... After the game I remember quite a bit of trouble (I was fairly young) but think it was more bravado than anything else? I do wonder if that rivalry would reignite if we played them regularly...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:57:56 »

'Bristol' it is then  Smiley

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/city-rovers-fans-say-how-2862295
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:13:43 »

Picking up a detail from that, what’s the second team in Falkirk?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:28:17 »

Picking up a detail from that, what’s the second team in Falkirk?

East Stirling.  A classic outfit whose fans fought an early attempt at franchising... all 250 of them.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:36:38 »

East Stirling.  A classic outfit whose fans fought an early attempt at franchising... all 250 of them.

Knew you’d know. Was going to say it must be the smallest town in Britain with two league teams, but given the scale of Scottish league sides, it’s not so different from the likes of Supermarine.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:42:59 »

Knew you’d know. Was going to say it must be the smallest town in Britain with two league teams, but given the scale of Scottish league sides, it’s not so different from the likes of Supermarine.

ES actually got relegated a couple of years back when the Scots introduced up and down from the non leagues.

A few years back both Northwich Victoiria and Witton Albion were in the Conference together, which from a town of just over 40,000 was impressive.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:48:23 »

ES actually got relegated a couple of years back when the Scots introduced up and down from the non leagues.

A few years back both Northwich Victoiria and Witton Albion were in the Conference together, which from a town of just over 40,000 was impressive.

Good spot. Witton being a suburb of Northwich?

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:48:23 »

Edinburgh used to have 3 but I think Meadowbank Thistle went out of business and I think were franchised to Livingston (that could be wrong). There is another team in Edinburgh now called Spartans that play in the Lowland league along with Gretna 2008 and Berwick Rangers who fell into 'non-league' now they have introduced promotion and relegation from the Lowland/Highland leagues into the league.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:56:01 »

Edinburgh used to have 3 but I think Meadowbank Thistle went out of business and I think were franchised to Livingston (that could be wrong). There is another team in Edinburgh now called Spartans that play in the Lowland league along with Gretna 2008 and Berwick Rangers who fell into 'non-league' now they have introduced promotion and relegation from the Lowland/Highland leagues into the league.

Edinburgh is back to full complement of 3 teams, Edinburgh City are in the big time as of a few seasons back
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:01:33 »

Interesting things I've discovered about Witton, a suburb of Northwich.

1) They allowed rivals Northwich Victoria back into the town when they agreed to ground-share their 4500 capacity Wincham Park stadium in 2015, Victoria's previous stadium, also in Wincham, having been demolished only 10 years after its construction!
2) Scouse comedian John Bishop played for them in the 80s
3) Their other main rivalry these days is with a third local team, 1874 Northwich, a club run by disgruntled Northwich Victoria fans!

Definition of hotbed.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:03:42 by Red Frog » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:04:50 »

Good spot. Witton being a suburb of Northwich?

I guess so.... it's interesting readng up about this stuff.  Vics used to play at Drill Field which was reckoned the oldest continuously used ground in England... 1875.  It got sold to developers and turned to houses in the nougties, and Vics moved to a new ground, they then went bust, dodgy owners, and some fans formed a phoenix club 1874 Northwich.  Vics carried on however and now groundshare with Witton.

Burton has had I think at least 3 if not 4 league teams..... Wanderers, Swifts, United and Albion.  Don't think though they were around together mind
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: