Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 115221 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:22:54 »

tbf it only started raining at around 1pm, and if you read back the last few pages it backs that up.  The rain has played a big part in this being called off late..

When i looked outside at 11am it looked playable although windy and would have been a farce.  The weather has deteriorated in the past couple of hours..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:27:10 »

it was always forecast to deteriorate for most of the week, and they had enough info this morning to be nearly 100% certain.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcntr93j0#?date=2020-02-15
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:27:20 »

Pub?

Just taken shelter in The Savoy.

Feel a bit sorry for any Scunthorpe fans that made the trip.
But there will be plenty of home fans who've made long journeys as well.
I suspect that the pitch may have packed in anyway if the game had gone ahead.

Hopefully we can hang onto top spot.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:29:11 »

tbf it only started raining at around 1pm, and if you read back the last few pages it backs that up.  
No it didn't. I was out at an U15s game this morning, raining consistently from 10am. Fucking lashed it down from 10-10.30. It's got windier since then, but the rain's been there on and off all morning
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:31:35 »

it was always forecast to deteriorate for most of the week, and they had enough info this morning to be nearly 100% certain.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcntr93j0#?date=2020-02-15

So are you saying that we should base whether a game should be called off early on the weather forecast?  A lot more games would be called off ahead of time unnecessarily if that was the case..

Most of last Saturdays games would have been off and I don't think there were many postponements last week.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:34:09 »

No it didn't. I was out at an U15s game this morning, raining consistently from 10am. Fucking lashed it down from 10-10.30. It's got windier since then, but the rain's been there on and off all morning

Well I can only go on what I saw, my vision only goes as far as around 100 yards of where i am standing at any time.  It looked playable before 1pm from where I was..  When I went out at 1.45 it didn't..

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:35:22 »

I see your point, but leaving it until 2pm - really ? but yes, in this case it should have been called off earlier.

I just find it implausible that the wind being less strong than v Exeter (according to my admitteddly cheap) weather station  has caused this
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:36:51 »

tbf it only started raining at around 1pm, and if you read back the last few pages it backs that up.  The rain has played a big part in this being called off late.

The rain wouldn't have been the issue, not with the wind. Not much chance for it to settle and will always be drying out quicker than rain with no assisted motion (wind). Had there been little to no wind, it may have been a factor in calling it off. This is wind related, and this time it's not the Flash!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:42:38 »

I don’t know who was looking forward to another game of blow football which ruins our natural game and evens up the odds. There have been too many games like that in the past month, which have coincided with our (modest) dip in form. If we can store up games to get back to the level of dominance we had before Christmas, then I’m only too happy to wait.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:42:52 »

Well I can only go on what I saw, my vision only goes as far as around 100 yards of where i am standing at any time.  It looked playable before 1pm from where I was..  When I went out at 1.45 it didn't..
Pissing it down in Bassett on and off all morning. Still playable though. Not necessarily arguing with the decision to call the game off, I don't have all the information available to me that those taking the decision did, just puzzled as to what information was available at 2 that wasn't available at 11. If it's just bad weather that was eminently predictable at 11, poor to leave it that late. If it's something else like structural damage to the ground causing a safety concern that's a different matter
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:45:19 »

My thoughts go back to one of the (Micky Mouse?) cup games played on a Tuesday night against Peterborough iirc. Gale force winds, tipping down with rain, should never have been played and we lost. Today’s call off far too late but suits the Town better to be played under more benign conditions.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:47:05 »

Well if this is the only thing we have to complain about then all must be good in the STFC world.  I disagree based on the circumstances I saw but if we feel it's worth getting disgruntled about then fill your boots..

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:49:37 »

Well if this is the only thing we have to complain about then all must be good in the STFC world.  I disagree based on the circumstances I saw but if we feel it's worth getting disgruntled about then fill your boots..
True dat! Certainly been much worse things much more worthy of complaint in recent years.
Flashheart

« Reply #148 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:49:47 »

Look on the bright side people.

Just think of the opportunities for all the hilarious and not at all worn-out quips about Flash's digestive system.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, February 15, 2020, 14:50:57 »

I've never done it before, how do you watch other games on Ifollow?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: