Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 68960 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 08:39:19 »

If Danny Rose can’t get in the squad let alone the team what’s the point in signing Palmer? I realise Wellens has probably got an eye on next season, despite what he says. The subs bench does seem overloaded with forward players to me - last night we had Hope, Yates, the Admiral, Woolery out of the 7. Only had Broadbent and Palmer as the other outfield players.

Chuck in Keshi when he’s fit and how does that work? Nice problem to have, I suppose, but I’d have swapped one of those 4 forward players for Rose on the bench last night.
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 08:46:30 »

I just want Ginger Pele and King Gerald to start scoring again. I will then be 110% happy and not just 100% happy.
Panda Paws

« Reply #407 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 09:00:32 »

If Danny Rose can’t get in the squad let alone the team what’s the point in signing Palmer? I realise Wellens has probably got an eye on next season, despite what he says. The subs bench does seem overloaded with forward players to me - last night we had Hope, Yates, the Admiral, Woolery out of the 7. Only had Broadbent and Palmer as the other outfield players.

Chuck in Keshi when he’s fit and how does that work? Nice problem to have, I suppose, but I’d have swapped one of those 4 forward players for Rose on the bench last night.

Palmer and Rose are completely different players.

We should always have more attacking options on the bench so long as we have cover. The utility of our back 4, as shown last night, means we can get away with having a reduced number of defensive options.

Rose is a good player but with Grant and Lyden ahead of him, you're never going to need 3 CDMs in a matchday squad.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 09:11:38 by Panda Paws » Logged
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 09:08:36 »

Absolutely cracking result last night, get in!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #409 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 10:10:24 »

I thought for his years REG was excellent, yes he still worries me a bit at times but then so does Baudry and more so Fryers.

Broadbent did really well when he came on, did exactly what was needed, put the ball in touch a few times, won a fair few headers and played the short simple pass to Grant. He did well.

Benda still has one mistake a game in him, luckily it rarely costs us but his shot saving is exceptional, if he would come for crosses a little better he will be an amazing keeper at any level not just this one.

2nd in line for MoM for me after the Beast Grant who totally ran midfield.

Fryers looked far happier at left back than centre back and Hunt also looked better at right back than left.

Lyden first half was a passenger, lots of running but did very little, 2nd half he was brilliant, playing his natural game of bringing the ball out and setting up attacks.

Other than his cross for the goal Doyle had a bit of an off day and he badly needs a goal to kick start his confidence.

Doughty was hit and miss, some great some bad, typical Doughty really.

DJ wasted 2 great chances and couldn't control the ball, which for a player of his obvious talent is disappointing, hes usually far better.

Isgrove again was Isgrove, some great attcking moves but offers little protection for the right back, but thats not his game so can't really be expected to track back as much.

Yates coming on changed the game, all game Doyle was playing passes which Yates would naturally get on the end of only to find that DJ or Isgrove were nowhere near, he looked a bit frustrated, more with himself than anything.

Really good day at the office, first half quite even, 2nd half we controlled midfield and the game, Cobblers never threatened too much other than the 2 efforts Benda had to save, alongside Exeter home and Plymouth away possibly the best result of the season.

I should have more confidence in us being able to get results....but Swindon have let me down so often I find it hard to be confident, even if I should be.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 10:12:01 »

My only (very) minor concern over the last few weeks is Doyle doesn’t look the same player we had before he went back to Bradford, although he is still working his ass off, that ‘spark’ seems to be missing.

Although it could be for a number of reasons, most unlikely but confidence seeing as he hasn’t scored for 6 weeks, the pressure and stress over the drawn out transfer, in need of a rest considering he’s played 90 minutes every week since the season began, or simply down to us not being at our free flowing best and creating as many chances lately due to the teams we have been playing and the weather.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 10:13:46 »

Benda still has one mistake a game in him, luckily it rarely costs us but his shot saving is exceptional, if he would come for crosses a little better he will be an amazing keeper at any level not just this one.

See, I think he is excellent coming for crosses JJ and it’s one of his best attributes.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #412 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 10:18:34 »

See, I think he is excellent coming for crosses JJ and it’s one of his best attributes.
I think hes getting better definately, but there is always one or two he doesn't quite get to.

Wellens on Saturday pre game said thats a part of his game they have pinpointed as needs a fair bit more work in training, hes still very young he does needs to pick his battles better of what he can and what he thinks he can get to.

Hes far better than Vigs ever was already and in a different league to Moore and RCC!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #413 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 11:03:38 »

As usual, thought of the opposition post game....
Most Swindon fans on their forum seem less than confident, hoping for a draw at best but expecting defeat
How very humble of our Wiltshire friends!

Swindon fans are class in my experience. Not many clubs I would say that about in this division.

**** poor.
Toothless going forward... again.

Not an awful performance but;
We lack any pace, real finesse up front. Very much a case of hump it up and hope. We are one dimensional.
Marshall looked useful. We need to use him better.
I know the Swindon scorer should have been tracked back but couldn't Cornell have come for that cross ?

Williams had a truly dismal game but who do you bring on in his place. We are badly short of options up top whereas Swindon can afford to have someone of Yates' quality on the bench.

The last two games have been so frustrating. Our solitary tactic has seemingly been to win a throw, let Goode take it and watch it get headed away by the opposition, and repeat.

I am Utterly fed up, pissed off call it what you will.... that every team we
Play, without exception, play better football than we do. Do we not have players that could play football? Course we do. They’re just not allowed to.
I’m serious. We need to get rid of Curle. I don’t even care if we don’t go up this season. It could be the worst thing to happen to us. Can you imagine us playing this style of football in league 1?? It would be an embarrassment.

Some people need to realise that a season finishing 9th or 10th will be viewed as a successful season

Thought that Swindon were not as good as their position suggested; unfortunately we looked a 6 or 7th placed play off fodder. We were not poor and matched Swindon ball for ball in the first half but became scrappy in the second and was disappointed with the midfield inability to take the game to Swindon. However two 0-1 defeats is not a crisis but highlights our deficiencies in critical areas particularly in midfield.

It was hilarious watching the ball hoofed up to Morton, he just get bullied off the ball.

Played OK first half and matched them, but offered nothing in the second

Two very different styles of play but nothing between the teams in a game that should have been a draw. The Swindon keeper had to work much harder than Cornell who didn't have to make a meaningful save. I'm assuming someone lost the runner for the goal.                                           
We played our usual game and did have chances but seem to forget that Marshall gives us a new option. We hardly passed the ball to him in the second half even though he could beat the fullback at will.

I personally thought that the midfield was lacking in creativity and the drive to trouble Swindon particularly second half.

What worries me is that KC thinks he's some sort of tactical genius. How many times tonight did we nearly get caught out by only leaving one man back when we had a corner and they put 2 upfront and spread them wide, they broke on us every time. It's a massive ****, to say it's schoolboy stuff is an insult to schoolboys. KC thinks it's a good idea but no one else in football does it, so is he a tactical genius or just another stubborn manager ?

A poor result but ironically a better performance than the one that saw us nick 3 points at theirs earlier in the season. Their keeper made 3 decent stops but other than that we looked pretty flat and as soon as they scored the game was lost.
The worry is we're happy enough to plod along at our own pace and hope we score but we're terrible at chasing the game when we go behind because we lack the ability to go up a gear; we just panic and aimlessly lob the ball forwards even more than usual.

180 minutes of clueless dross the last 2 games - no goals the result of no creativity in the team - relying on throw ins and corners and aimless lumps forward - and at no point did we actually look like scoring.

I must be in a minority - I thought we were second best in every department and Swindon really impressed me as a well drilled unit. Their keeper was impressive, the defenders won nearly every header and the midfield picked up on every second ball. I thought doughty, grant and Lyndon worked hard and we’re also decent on the ball and they clearly had scouted us thoroughly by playing 3 up top spread across the field. I lost count of the amount of times they caught us on the break and I agree with barton in that KC’s obsession with leaving 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 from our own set pieces was shown to be naive to say that least. We looked really disjointed all over and now the goals have dried up completely. First half Marshall was a danger but second half they must have done a job on him as he became anonymous. Lines came off and had a hissy fit but I can’t see that he has any grounds to complain - he is so lightweight it’s untrue, to state the obvious we desperately need McCormack back but I fear that even when he does eventually make his comeback he will soon break down again.

first half performance OK but second half Swindon bossed it.

Swindon were no great shakes. In fact I don't expect that at this level. But they tried hard to play football.

I think it should be noted that Swindons manager wasn't even there yesterday due to illness and so they had an Assistant in charge. That assistant had more tactical awareness than Keith Curle. That for me brings massive alarm bells.

I don't particularly like it, but I can understand,  the route 1 hoof it up field every opportunity football when Smith and/or Oliver are up there trying to win it.

Keith Curle says his plan B is more of plan A, enough said........
A mid table finish, with this squad, in this league, not good enough, the sooner he’s gone the better.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 11:31:40 »

"Swindon fans are class in my experience"
Goosebumps Smiley

Can't recall many long throw bombardments like that.
We coped with it very well.

Sounds as if their fans are in the 'Flitcroft stage' of coping with life in L2.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #415 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 12:10:55 »

Doyle's cross for the goal could not have been better placed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 12:25:29 »

Was a top cross, but keeper should have come for it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 12:30:55 »

It looked a bit floaty at first. If I were at the game I'd have thought he'd cocked it up and be in the middle 'uuuuu' of 'for fucks sake' just as Lyden nodded it in Smiley

---

I can see what JJ is getting at, but Benda's cross claiming is 99% excellent IMO. He just once or twice comes when he shouldn't. But very rarely.

He's only 21, which is about 13 in keeper years. Reckon he's going to do alright in this game.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 12:33:35 »

He's only 21, which is about 13 in keeper years
"in keeper years", never heard that before, I'm pinching that!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 12:39:38 »

The cross ultimately turned out to be a good one. Think that has more to do with the run from Lyden.
If he doesn’t make that run from deep, it’s a shit cross. Only Doyle can tell you whether he aimed to hit Lyden in his stride or not.

If I’m a Northampton player I’m going mental at the midfield that has let Lyden go.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: