Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 69989 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:23:23 »

Parcelforce hub ?

Yarp, then trundling down the M40/A34 to our good friends in Reading, flipping off the Madjeski on my way past...

Thanks for the Northampton radio tip derbystfc, top job!

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:23:25 »

I genuinely have no idea, it encompasses every Town team recently so you can't put it down to 1 manager or 1 team, its just some wierd form of hoodoo it seems.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:32:35 »

I genuinely have no idea, it encompasses every Town team recently so you can't put it down to 1 manager or 1 team, its just some wierd form of hoodoo it seems.
It would be interesting to see overall stats for L2 teams over the same period with away midweek games i.e. whether it's actually just a general thing at this level or something we as a club aren't quite getting right in managing the additional load.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:35:53 »

See also; derby games. Just seems like a Town thing to do, really...

Peter Venkman

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:49:45 »

It would be interesting to see overall stats for L2 teams over the same period with away midweek games i.e. whether it's actually just a general thing at this level or something we as a club aren't quite getting right in managing the additional load.
There is no reasoning for it, I don't think its even something the players or manager are aware of TBH.

Its interesting but really not sure why, and yes I don't know how it affects other teams or if its just us!

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:57:48 »

Defeat. 2-1

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:18:04 »

There is no reasoning for it, I don't think its even something the players or manager are aware of TBH.

Its interesting but really not sure why, and yes I don't know how it affects other teams or if its just us!
That's why I asked. If it's a general thing, it may then be just that levels of fitness at this level aren't great so a rapid of turnover of matches + travel means teams don't recover from fatigue as quickly, for example.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:26:39 »

That's why I asked. If it's a general thing, it may then be just that levels of fitness at this level aren't great so a rapid of turnover of matches + travel means teams don't recover from fatigue as quickly, for example.
Looking back at results, there have been at least 3 games (IIRC) in that run where we never had a preceeding match on the Saturday yet still lost on the Tuesday. So that COULD be unlikely. There are so many contributing factors too like injuries and distance travelled, some players may not like to travel and play on the same day, just a thought.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:29:28 »

Looking back at results, there have been at least 3 games (IIRC) in that run where we never had a preceeding match on the Saturday yet still lost on the Tuesday. So that COULD be unlikely. There are so many contributing factors too like injuries and distance travelled, some players may not like to travel and play on the same day, just a thought.
That could be a factor, good thought. Although that would apply to plenty of Saturday games as well?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:36:50 »

That could be a factor, good thought. Although that would apply to plenty of Saturday games as well?
Possibly yes, although normally any games further than about 120 miles there is normally a night stay the evening before the game in a hotel.

It is obvious that some players do prefer to play home games rather than away, Isgrove for instance always seems to play better at home. A common thing with inconsistant wingers.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:37:25 »

It’s the same for all clubs. Seeing as every Tuesday game doesn’t end in a draw, then some clubs win and some clubs lose. We tend to lose more than most.
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 12:46:08 »

I'm confident about tonight. We're top of the league with a good squad giving us options.
2-1 to us with Doyle scoring both goals with the winner in the 95th minute of the game with Wellens running to the away end and jumping in to join the mass celebrations.
Plymouth, Crewe and Exeter can only draw their games and we extend our lead at the top. COYR
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 13:04:09 »

It’s the same for all clubs. Seeing as every Tuesday game doesn’t end in a draw, then some clubs win and some clubs lose. We tend to lose more than most.
But do we? That's the question. I'd love to see some stats on it, all we have at the moment is supposition and perception
Flashheart

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 13:13:44 »

How many away games on Tuesdays have we even had in the last few years? Take that into account, alongside the fact that we've generally been average at best over much of that period, and it probably won't look at all unusual I reckon.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 13:16:44 »

How many away games on Tuesdays have we even had in the last few years? Take that into account, alongside the fact that we've generally been average at best over much of that period, and it probably won't look at all unusual I reckon.
You may well be right. My point is that we can't even really begin to assess whether our perceived Tuesday hoodoo is unusual or not until we have stats for what the norm is i.e. what is the average peformance of L1/L2 sides away from home midweek after a game at the weekend. Then we have a baseline to compare it with, until then it's just little more than a "feeling" that we're worse than most
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: