Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guess who needs attention again?  (Read 7282 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 17:01:41 »

Their last home league defeat was when Plymuff beat em 3-0 in January. Surely we should emulate that?

Carlisle 0-4 Swindon Att: 5,488 (731 of us)

Definitely a must win game. our away form has gradually deteriorated, 4 points from an available 15, whilst the home form has picked up post Stevenage.  With Cobblers to come on Tuesday, which is stand out difficult looking match, back to back defeats wouldn't look good.  Exeter have shown this happily in 2nd, then drop into PO's within the week.

Won't be easy with the usual pitch state and weather to be factored in.... apparently not good for Sat
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 17:08:38 »

It really isn't a must win game.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 17:37:08 »

It really isn't a must win game.
I think Reg knows that, he's just after some attention again.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 18:06:05 »

Yep, it's looking pretty bleak right now, that's for sure...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 18:20:40 »

I think Reg knows that, he's just after some attention again.

Because 4D posted up a title about Saturday's match I've given my thoughts... it's what a lot of posters do, hardly strange is it.

It's really pretty simple if we want to win the league and presumably you do, then it's for the best to stay top... if not then at least top 3... lot of reasons to think Cobblers will be very tough ergo Carlisle as a relatively poor outfit offers a good chance.

We could be out of the top 3 this time next week.... so we need the insurance of beating Carlisle....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 18:37:57 »

Not a must win game as its too early in the season for that to start but it would be extremely handy to get a win there for sure.

We have only lost there just 3 times in the last 12 meetings up there in border country.

They are 4 unbeaten with the last 5 league games being LDWWD.

Their goal difference is already -16 which is the 3rd worst in the division after the bottom 2 Morecambe and Stevenage but they sit in 20th place 11 points clear of the single relegation spot.

They have only won 3 of the last 13 games LDDDLDWLLDWWD.

At home Carlisle have W4 D5 L5 scoring just 12 goals and conceding 19.

To keep the pressure on Plymouth in 3rd place we need a win and hope they slip up with one of their 2 games in hand.

Exeter face Bradford who may have the advantage of the "new manager effect" with McCall going there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 19:03:23 »

Definitely a must win game. our away form has gradually deteriorated, 4 points from an available 15, whilst the home form has picked up post Stevenage.  With Cobblers to come on Tuesday, which is stand out difficult looking match, back to back defeats wouldn't look good.  Exeter have shown this happily in 2nd, then drop into PO's within the week.

Won't be easy with the usual pitch state and weather to be factored in.... apparently not good for Sat
Let's look at those 5 games...

FGR         2-2 ...conceded a 95th minute equaliser to a team going for the play offs
Port Vale  0-2 ...performed pretty well despite losing 2 defenders early on and having to totally re-shape the side
Plymouth  2-1...enough said... recovered from the previous set back for as season defining win..
Newport    0-2...freak game against a freak team on a freakishly bad pitch...no indicator of form
Colchester 1-3...1-0 up should have put the game to bed...dropped deep, big mistake...no deterioration of form though.

4 points out of 15 is clearly not a great return but I measure form on the basis of how we have been performing and in that respect we're fine and it has definitely not deteriorated. I fully expect it to improve with the new(old) signings along with the results...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 19:12:40 »

Let's look at those 5 games...

FGR         2-2 ...conceded a 95th minute equaliser to a team going for the play offs
Port Vale  0-2 ...performed pretty well despite losing 2 defenders early on and having to totally re-shape the side
Plymouth  2-1...enough said... recovered from the previous set back for as season defining win..
Newport    0-2...freak game against a freak team on a freakishly bad pitch...no indicator of form
Colchester 1-3...1-0 up should have put the game to bed...dropped deep, big mistake...no deterioration of form though.

4 points out of 15 is clearly not a great return but I measure form on the basis of how we have been performing and in that respect we're fine and it has definitely not deteriorated. I fully expect it to improve with the new(old) signings along with the results...

The previous 5 was a 9 point haul 2 defeats followed by 3 wins.... its helped propel us upwards. If we want to win this thing we'l need some more away wins, so lets get them at the most likely looking venues. Confidence is maintained by getting top and staying top....
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 19:44:29 »

I'd imagine confidence must  be sky high, having just beaten our (points wise and league position wise) nearest rivals.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 19:58:14 »

One would imagine Carlisle will be the favourites seeing as this is their first home match in which they are able to benefit from a post Brexit bounce....it will be intersting to see if the theory runs true and there is a capacity crowd  Hmmm
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 20:01:53 »

I see Plymouth have a tough run in Feb, so this game does provide a great opportunity for us to hold the top spot ro at least top 3 for another month (set us up well to do that).

Plymouth:

8th - Colchester (A)
11th - Salrford (A)
15th - Crewe (H)
18th - Macclesfield (A)
22nd - Cambridge (H)
29th - Bradford (A)

Four away games, playing 6 games in 21 days and a load of travelling, on top of 3 of the top 10.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 20:17:01 »

Because 4D posted up a title about Saturday's match I've given my thoughts... it's what a lot of posters do, hardly strange is it.

It's really pretty simple if we want to win the league and presumably you do, then it's for the best to stay top... if not then at least top 3... lot of reasons to think Cobblers will be very tough ergo Carlisle as a relatively poor outfit offers a good chance.

We could be out of the top 3 this time next week.... so we need the insurance of beating Carlisle....
So, after our shit return of 4 points from 15 away, how do you explain why we are still clear at the top?

I think I remember you saying something similar before our tough run over the Xmas/New year period. Yet we’re still top.

Your doomster outlook applies to all other clubs too.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 20:18:35 »

I'd imagine confidence must  be sky high, having just beaten our (points wise and league position wise) nearest rivals.

Indeed, but maintaining top spot is a big help, go back to 15 games in and it was Crewe, FGR and Numb occupying the 3 spots. 

We nicked the last minute winner v Stevenage to move into 7th, a nice run of 4 wins in a row elevated us top and we've been there since although it got a bit shakier after the Newport defeat, Crewe haven't been back top nor Numb or FGR into auto slots.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 20:21:57 »

Don’t you mean 8 wins in a row?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 20:26:04 »

So, after our shit return of 4 points from 15 away, how do you explain why we are still clear at the top?

I think I remember you saying something similar before our tough run over the Xmas/New year period. Yet we’re still top.

Your doomster outlook applies to all other clubs too.

As per post above after Newport it was only on GD, so not exactly clear. Yes as shown the clubs who lose momentum and fall out of the top slots can find it difficult to get back in.... lot of pressure on Exeter having lost back to back and dropping out of the autos.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: