Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carlisle v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 57946 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Saturday, February 8, 2020, 21:23:25 »

WTF is going on with our goal celebration? Looked like they were doing rhino impressions?
Looked more sharky to me?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Saturday, February 8, 2020, 22:35:07 »

Hey, he used to run a business and a small football team, now runs a Beefeater. He knows what he's talking about!
Used to run a pub called ‘The George’ in Tewkesbury. Made us all shut up when it got to 7:30 or 8pm so his regulars could watch Eastenders or Coronation Street. Needless to say he wasn’t around long.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Saturday, February 8, 2020, 22:58:13 »

Used to run a pub called ‘The George’ in Tewkesbury. Made us all shut up when it got to 7:30 or 8pm so his regulars could watch Eastenders or Coronation Street. Needless to say he wasn’t around long.

And Tewkesbury was one destination where I learnt cellar work. Used to have loads of pubs IIRC.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 09:46:53 »

Brief thoughts of yesterday as a first time seeing them play in the flesh this season. Probably first time been excited to go to a game since the Di Canio season, after reading good reviews on here, can only assume we had a stinker!

Benda is good with his feet and bright for a keeper (something their keeper was sorely lacking), might have been a foul as couldn't see but play to the whistle, one good save.

Fryers/REG - Fryers passing was crap but possibly just rusty, REG is a proper player, great on the ball (albeit gets your heart rate up when he is dicking their centre forward) and can defend, reckon he will go somewhere in the game and I can say down the pub that I saw his first pro goal. Incidentally the Carlisle fans I travelled back with were most impressed with the quality of our centre halves rather than anyone else.

Hunt/Caddis thought both played well, Caddis (who looks about 50) especially was well up for it second half,  assume we had identified their left back as a weak link as most things went that way.

Midfield, what the bloody hell was going on there. Grant didn't really catch the eye but was efficient, Doughty cannot tackle and whilst he tried some clever balls they didn't pay off, DJ his fucking huge (had always assumed he was  typical little tricky player) great skill but needs to learn that dribbling around their whole team whilst going across the pitch doesn't achieve a great deal (seems to be our version of Sterling in a way) whilst Hope lived up to his Carlisle nickname of Hallam no Hope, after about an hour I had to resort to my phone to see who was our other midfielder was he had been so anonymous.

Up front you can tell Doyle and Yates have class, but with no service and no support they had no hope and just dropped deeper and deeper looking for the ball. I assume we have been much better in this department as on yesterday cannot see how they could have 10 goals between them, let alone 30+

It was fairly obvious from early in the second half that the system wasn't working as there was a massive gap between the midfield and strikers and Carlisle were just mopping everything up in that area, don't recall us ever winning a second ball, Wellens possibly needs to take some of the blame for not changing it but hey ho. He can talk about us creating chances, but we only troubled their keeper once and that from a shot outside the area.

Carlisle were apathetic, long balls (mainly straight to Benda, their keeper must have kicked 5-6 goal kicks straight to Benda first half, I know its windy but not rocket science) no.7 looked quite handy but that was about it. Going up the Carlisle fan we went with (used to be a regular doesnt bother now) said the fans are sick of shit football (reinforced by the fact we met three of his mates in the pub before the game, all old regulars and none came to the game with us choosing instead to go out on the lash in town), they were very quiet and bizarrely seemed to ignore Hope until he got hooked then made a big deal of booing him.

All a bit meh really, but a point is a point. If they could turn up at Morecambe that would be nice.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 10:11:53 »

Feel a bit sorry for you. I watch every game home and away on ifollow from spain and I would say that was one of our worst performances of the season
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 10:48:22 »

I know it’s early days, but I can’t see any benefit of having Hope over Woolery. I know he’s scored twice but does very little else. Woolery, whilst frustrating, puts a shift in, decent in the air, is involved somewhere along the line in a lot of our goals and scares defences shitless with his pace.

Tuesday needs an extra body in midfield - Lyden for Hope - and Broadbent is a must against another mega hoofing side.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 10:55:55 »

I'd rather see Isgrove for Hope. Isgrove on the right, Yates on the left, Doyle in the middle.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #367 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 10:59:15 »

Feel a bit sorry for you. I watch every game home and away on ifollow from spain and I would say that was one of our worst performances of the season
I agree, it was a really poor performance, not a great one to be your first of the season to see in person. Horlock take the blame Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #368 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:01:29 »

I'd rather see Isgrove for Hope. Isgrove on the right, Yates on the left, Doyle in the middle.
Same for me, Hope has not impressed me in any game so far even though he has scored 2 goals. Yates is better wide left IMO and only looks comfortable there.

DJ probably has to play and I know he has his haters but even Woolery offers more than Hope for me.

Its still early though and he could come good, a it like Bennett last season when his first 3 games he was useless but improved no end afterwards.

Far too early to say hes not good enough but hes way behind the players we had already at the club.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:05:27 »

I'd also say the same about Hope. But it's early days.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:10:15 »

Just hope - no pun intended - that Wellens doesn’t feel he has to play him because he wanted to sign him and he cost money.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #371 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:25:20 »

Just hope - no pun intended - that Wellens doesn’t feel he has to play him because he wanted to sign him and he cost money.
I thought that too, I hope hes not stubborn about it, every player must earn his place.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #372 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:35:59 »

As always some comments from Carlisle fans about the game.

That's a foul on Anderton as the corner came over for their goal.
Also it was a two-footed tackle (studs showing) on McKirdy which first injured him - we didn't even get a free-kick.
Then you have a fairly blatant hand ball which should have seen us have a penalty.
They say decisions go for you when you're top of the league - and today they're correct.

Swindon are a brutal team in fairness, I didn't expect them to be so physical. They're your typical horrible southern team, full of those dirty, niggly little kicks on our players. Saying that though, we've defended quite well - and despite them kicking McKirdy out of the game we haven't let them bully us.

Beech just said Mckirdys shin is a mess from that first tackle ...not even a free kick

I agree Swindon are physical but it’s a game when you need to be-wind blowing in all directions and you need to get stuck in.

both sides seem content with a point

Solid result in the context of the season

Watched the game on the EFL link and to be honest no difference between the sides! but Carlisle are trying to play football on the deck and seem quite comfortable at it HAIL Beech !! THE REVOLUTION IS STARTING!!

Two poor sides. But a points a point.

I’ve never seen as much kicking the ball in the air - and on a windy day!

Considering the horrible windy conditions I thought we were excellent. They started on top first 20 minutes but from then on I thought we competed really well and matched them in every area.

I actually enjoyed the game and what pleased me most was the effort we put in.

For all the chat about Yates, I thought he was rubbish. Goes without saying that Hope was poor too-good trade to exit him

Yates is far better down the middle in my opinion then out wide where he played today. He played his best football for us in the centre forward role..

I mentioned that to the guy beside me, he was on the wing today...never noticed him first half hardly.
Interesting Beech said he'd had to have words with Gethin Jones as he wasn't at it enough and Hope was his man.....but up till 3 weeks they were sharing a car as mates he said.

I thought we did well considering the tough conditions. We stood off them too much in the first 20 minutes but in the second half I thought we looked the better team. One of the reasons we were poor to start with is because we went direct to Alessandra which is not his game, the more we fed him on the floor the better we played.

After a dodgy first 20 minutes or so we did really well in difficult conditions. great fighting spirit in the second half and almost nicked it at the end. Centre backs did well and M Jones played a few telling passes as he played further forward, linking up well with Guy. Patrick did well second half.

Amazed than there were no bookings despite a number of cynical fouls by Swindon ( including two by Hope in a short space of time before he was subbed )

They seem to think we are dirty and cynical in the main, ok then, they obviously havent seen Newport or Lincoln last season!

And if that was them playing some of their best football of the season, wow poor bastards have seen some shit this season.

That was up with probably our worst 3 or 4 performances of the season, we should have buried them when we were on top TBH we always sit back too much when we go a goal up, which frustrates me a lot.

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:36:26 »

Apologies if this has been answered but how many did we take up there?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #374 on: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 11:39:06 »

Apologies if this has been answered but how many did we take up there?

Att: 4,620 with 531 Town.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: