Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 78542 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:10:04 »

Been out since October with a broken arm, plate job. A tough return in those conditions when rusty. That said, Benda's distribution was far superior.
Regardless smashing a ball high into the air against the wind was brain dead and he did it every time, one of his kicks almost went out for a corner. Benda is a proper sweeper keeper and miles better than anything else at this level.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:11:27 »

Don't think you'd have had too many complaints had we nicked a point, but agree that Town edged it overall. We were miffed by the performance of the officials at times, that's for sure.
You had one shot all game which was your goal, I would have complained if it was a draw as we should have been out of sight at half time. I think you got what you deserved.
woolster

« Reply #467 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:12:02 »

Had we changed ends at half-time, giving us the low tin roof, all in together and not battling a strong sou'westerly throughout, we might have been as quiet as you ! Seriously.
Tin roof, how dare you, that's quality Asbestos on there Smiley
gingernuggets

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:19:41 »

What a win! Not read back yet but can't believe the Adver report didn't mention the wind at all. It was a huge part of the match and meant our second goal just before half time was massive otherwise we'd have been completely up against it.

Great to see a big crowd and good battling performance from everyone.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:20:32 »

Just got home, I didn't think Exeter were a bad side.
That lad Williams down the right was a handful.
So glad that run of top sides has almost come to an end.
Plymouth, Crewe, Newport, Port Vale, Bradford, Colchester and Exeter all in a month and we're still top is remarkable. Just Northampton to negotiate.
Honey sweet and get the Champagne on ice.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:22:51 by skiptotheLouMacari » Logged
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #470 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:23:36 »

Great ball by DJ for the second, and Hope posing exactly the threat Wellens suggested he could/would. Hadn't he only got two goals this season before joining us?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:24:56 »

I thought Exeter were proper shite for a team who were, supposedly, on a par with us if you take much notice of league positions.

Their team of 2 seasons ago was far superior. If we can’t mop up this league now . . .
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:25:20 »

Believe so (Hope's goal total), Wellens does seem to have a knack of getting the best out of a player.  Seems he has a clear idea of how we will play and who he needs to slot into each position to make that happen.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #473 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:32:01 »

Had we changed ends at half-time, giving us the low tin roof, all in together and not battling a strong sou'westerly throughout, we might have been as quiet as you ! Seriously.

I've never been in an open end that's made any considerable noise, and very few have come to the CG and done it that I've seen. Cardiff are the only ones who really stick out in my mind.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:45:19 »

How good was it to see a full CG today? That said I didn’t think the atmosphere was particularly great, but I was sitting in the Arkells so maybe it came across better in Town End/DRS.

The wind clearly had an effect on the game and it took a while for both sides to settle down. I don’t actually think we played very well today, it was scrappy overall. Fluky opener from a wind assisted Doughty corner and we looked comfortable until we gifted an equaliser after an awful dilly dally on the edge of the box. Of course it fell to their best player who finished nicely. We scored at the right time, fantastic delivery by DJ and Hope couldn't miss!

The second half was a non-event. Exeter had most of the ball but never really looked like scoring. We had some chances on the break but the passing was off. I thought Yates had his poorest game for us but of course worked hard. DJ, Grant and Caddis my stand out players but I thought we were below par. Williams looked a class act for Exeter but I was disappointed in them overall.

3 massive points though, can’t ask for more!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:45:55 »

Yeah absolutely no acoustics in there. You'd rarely hear the bank when we had it for town fans.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:47:07 »

Just Northampton to negotiate.
Honey sweet and get the Champagne on ice.

I'm bringing a Leicester fan, a Spurs fan and a Norwich fan to Northampton... let's bring it!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:49:14 »

Great result. As others have said, the wind limited the quality on show, and we clearly adapted our style to suit. It’s days like that which highlight how important players like Grant and Caddis are - who use their body so well to win second balls and buy fouls. Over the years we always seem to have some players who lack confidence and nous - the only one out there in that bracket, who seems to get rattled a bit, is REG - but he’s young, and Fryers will a slot back in I suspect.

DJ has come on leaps and bounds too. As others have alluded to, it was tough for Yates and Doyle in that, but both could have scored. Yates is such an all rounder and worked his balls off getting back. As (I believe) his first game on the right, his link up play with Cads was decent. Two very intelligent players. And whilst Hope doesn’t necessarily get you on the edge of your seat as Woolery does, Woolery doesn’t seem to get in the goalscoring positions Hope has done in each game he has played. A wide man with a striker’s instinct. Whilst it wasn’t pretty, it was entertaining and engaging - the atmosphere was great, and above all else, positive. We’re in for a cracking run in, with a few more decent gates to come.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 19:53:02 by Frigby Daser » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 20:13:52 »

Well we've got through the tough period of January including the window, relatively unscathed.  The addition of a couple of further bodies who can play up front is also a help as relying on 2 was always pushing it.  It's still got to be done, but is doable...

Woot Jumping

A war cry is that, Reg!  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 20:14:07 »

Tin roof, how dare you, that's quality Asbestos on there Smiley
Cheesy

Not the best game I've ever seen, but thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless, we created some decent chances first half, adapted well to the conditions (or better than they did anyway) and enough nerves/edge in the second half to keep the adrenaline going, even if the football was a bit attritional. Brilliant to see the County Ground full again. Hopefully there was enough in the game and the atmosphere to persuade a few of those coming back/coming for the first time to keep returning. This team deserves it.

Thought their no 11, Williams, was decent, always a bit jittery when he had the ball as he always looked like he could make something happen.

According to Twitter, some of the Exeter massive tried kicking off with Rockin' Robin at half time
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: