Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester U v Swindon Pre Match Chat and Matchday Thread  (Read 66682 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 19:21:28 »

Were any of those opponents in that run in the top 3/6/10

Stockport were top 6 the rest a bit further back. 

Remember it well for personal reasons, it was oddly a Monday night game. Football matches are a bit like tunes for me some just evoke a heap of memories, perhaps not as strong as some tunes by which you can nearly time travel but sometimes not far off as powerful.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Thursday, January 30, 2020, 09:32:59 »

I have only seen the short highlights of Tuesday, but based on that I am concerned we shipped 3 goals from set pieces in the last 15 minutes. This highlighted 3 things for me - we defend very deep at times which is not helpful when sides are lumping balls forward; we are a bit lacking in height a set pieces (I am surprised Broadbent wasn’t brought on to counter Nouble and the other two as it would have been obvious how ColU we’re going to approach that period) and thirdly we concede a lot of free kicks in areas of our own half which provide opponents with opportunities to put high balls into the danger area (at home we defend far more free kicks in our half than we have in the opposition’s half. These things need sorting.
Whilst those who saw the game say we had enough chances to make the game safe before they scored (a fair point), and have thus focused on criticism of Woolery and the absence of Yates and Doyle, we won’t win many games when we concede 3 goals.
Panda Paws

« Reply #527 on: Thursday, January 30, 2020, 09:45:44 »

All fair points NHA.

Welles mentioned in his post-match that we were too deep, and was frustrated that we had sat in.

Re the freekicks - two elements to this. Lyden and Grant do give away a lot of fouls, but also I can't state enough how weirdly picky the ref was, unless it was an out-and-out assault on one of players.

We've only conceded 3 goals in a game not against Col U once this season.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Thursday, January 30, 2020, 10:46:11 »

I know the gullibility and inconsistency of refs are problematic - and have to rely on those who are there to comment on that part of Tuesday’s game.
However we do concede a lot of free kicks in our own half at home, and it feels as though we get far fewer. This is something which I’ve noticed over the past few seasons, not just this year.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: