Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester U v Swindon Pre Match Chat and Matchday Thread  (Read 66656 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #465 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:13:18 »

I would go along with all of that. Would just add, if Woolery does leave before the end of the window I will not be crying myself to sleep...
TBF that was Woolery's worst performance possibly of the season. He has been very consistant the last 10 games or so.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:22:47 »

Luckily for us, we're at our lowest, squad wise, and just about to come through the toughest run of the season, and we're still top.

3 more additions this week, players returning from injury, weather improving, favourable run in.... we won't get a better chance to get out of L2 than this.

I think you're right about the chance.... but less so about the other stuff, weather for example, we may not get frozen pitches now that climate change seems to unfolding in front of our eyes, but we get wet and windy. Further the warmth, encourages moss and fungus etc to grow amongst the grass, so we're now starting to get difficult pitches.

Althoug we've Anderson and Fryers to come back, experience tells us someone else will go down lame... yesterday it was Isgrove.  We always knew a potential problem with the sicknote recruitment.  When it gets to the business end of the season all games are difficult, unless you're clearly way ahead of the rest, and we're not.

As things stand, it looks like there isn't a really outstanding team this season, a number of useful outfits and some hard to beat grinders... I would say there at least 8 sides who would reckon top 3 isn't out of the question, of which we're one.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #467 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:26:02 »

As things stand, it looks like there isn't a really outstanding team this season
If you read the forums of other teams fans then you would realise that WE are the outstanding team in their opinions, pretty much every team we have beaten have said that.

Even outstanding teams lose at times, Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man City etc never go a season without losing.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:29:49 »

Highlights show that their No. 2 plays DJ marginally onside after Doughty's visionary assist. Also show Grant uncharacteristically weak for two of their goals. I think we just have to put that defeat down to the lack of squad depth.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
REDBUCK

« Reply #469 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:30:57 »

If you read the forums of other teams fans then you would realise that WE are the outstanding team in their opinions, pretty much every team we have beaten have said that.

Even outstanding teams lose at times, Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man City etc never go a season without losing.

Come now, you know Reg is always correct
Panda Paws

« Reply #470 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:31:06 »

I would say there at least 8 sides who would reckon top 3 isn't out of the question, of which we're one.

Just to be clear - you're putting us in the same collection as Cheltenham (8th, 45 points) FGR and Vale as a side "who would reckon top 3 isn't out of the question"?

There's a clear top 4 - it would take one hell of a fuck up to finish behind anyone currently outside that top 4.
Panda Paws

« Reply #471 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:31:44 »

Highlights show that their No. 2 plays DJ marginally onside after Doughty's visionary assist. Also show Grant uncharacteristically weak for two of their goals. I think we just have to put that defeat down to the lack of squad depth.

It was definitely a 7/10 Grant and not a 9/10 Grant yesterday.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:34:36 »

It was definitely a 7/10 Grant and not a 9/10 Grant yesterday.

Hard to name a MoM for us. Doughty maybe or DJ, though both frustrated as often as they shone.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:35:58 »

I don't much go by what is posted on other fora, I prefer to look at the numbers. 

Outstanding teams by definition stand out, like Lpool this season.  We certainly had a good spell, but if you look at the latest 5 game form guide, it's only FGR and Bradford of the top ten who have fewer points.  I don't think anyone is much surprised we're in damage limitation mode.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #474 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:55:17 »

I don't much go by what is posted on other fora, I prefer to look at the numbers.  

Outstanding teams by definition stand out, like Lpool this season.  We certainly had a good spell, but if you look at the latest 5 game form guide, it's only FGR and Bradford of the top ten who have fewer points.  I don't think anyone is much surprised we're in damage limitation mode.
I prefer to go by what opposition fans/management are saying than just "numbers" and this season far more than half of the teams we have played and also their managers have been praising us almost to a man this season, all saying we are easily the best football side and the best yeam in the league, I like to go by what the professionals say.

The host of the Football League show on Quest, Colin Murray, is always saying how we are easily the best footballing side and the outstanding team in this league as are all of his guest, all ex footballers like Sammy Parkin, Ian Holloway etc.

They all say we are the best team in the league by a long way, also we are top by 2 clear points and IF we can beat Exeter on Saturday that will be 5 clear points if Crewe don't win.

We are 11 points clear of 8th place too, surely thats top on numbers too?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 11:06:05 »

I prefer to go by what opposition fans/management are saying than just "numbers" and this season far more than half of the teams we have played and also their managers have been praising us almost to a man this season, all saying we are easily the best football side and the best yeam in the league, I like to go by what the professionals say.

The host of the Football League show on Quest, Colin Murray, is always saying how we are easily the best footballing side and the outstanding team in this league as are all of his guest, all ex footballers like Sammy Parkin, Ian Holloway etc.

They all say we are the best team in the league by a long way, also we are top by 2 clear points and IF we can beat Exeter on Saturday that will be 5 clear points if Crewe don't win.

We are 11 points clear of 8th place too, surely thats top on numbers too?

You do realise that managers often say stuff about a side by way of tactics... nothing to do with what they really think.

Flynn of Newport for example bigs up our football, whilst knowing that we won't be able to cope with their hoofball.

Pundits got to say something and are often well wide of the mark.... there are one or two, who are worth a listen but mostly not.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 11:09:42 »

How do the likes of Exeter and Plymouth cope with the Newports and ColU's of this world?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 11:14:53 »

Oh another random note, Michael Doughtys agent ended up sitting next to us last night.. or so he claimed.
Are you sure it wasn't Football Phil?   Wink
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 11:16:15 »

Me too and we're top! Win Saturday and the gap gets bigger...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 11:18:36 »

Are you sure it wasn't Football Phil?   Wink

Haha definitely not, although I did see him there! (heard him first, obviously)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: