Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester U v Swindon Pre Match Chat and Matchday Thread  (Read 67376 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:18:19 »

Did he say much?
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #451 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:19:39 »

Yeah after all that I said yesterday, he pretty much summed up exactly what drives us up the wall about him last night.

Sent from my CLT-L09

I've been singing his praises recently too(not on here). That pass behind our two on running players, when he'd worked so hard to win the ball 
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:26:00 »

Interesting Flashheart - I think it'll pan out as us, Plymouth and Exeter as the top 3, with the title going to the last day.
Assuming Macclesfield are still with us.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:37:12 »

Starting to think that the current squad has a collective dislike for playing mid-week games under lights. Thankfully there are only two more scheduled ones for them to face.  Hmmm
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:42:49 »

I did some numbers.

These are the average league positions of who the top 4 have yet to play

Swindon   15.06
Exeter      13.52
Crewe      13.00
Plymouth  12.83

I don't know what you can make of that, other than we have the easiest run in on paper.

I also went through and guessed the points haul of each team in their remaining games. It was quite rudimentary - going by nothing more than the opposition's league position and whether the game is home or away. The final point tallies were:

Swindon   96
Exeter      95
Plymouth  95
Crewe      90

This assumes a draw on Saturday - big game.

I might get around to adding a couple more teams because there's others still in the mix, but I need to get some work done.

I’ve always thought it better to be playing teams in mid table nothingness toward seasons end, rather than teams scrapping it out at the bottom. Not sure there’s any science to back that up mind, just the assumption that an average team on the beach in April will be easier to play than a shit team fighting for their lives

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:44:31 »

Not read back on any comments yet so apologies if I am repeating anything. My comments are based on the highlights that our good friend in the States provides.

After a cagey first 20 or so it looked like we took control of the game without making any clear cut chances. However we scored just after half time (it looked offside) and missed 2 or 3 gilt edged chances as the Colchester goal led a charmed life. Fair fucks to Gerken who was unbeatable in that time. Colchester then made some changes and the game seemed to change as Hunt and Caddis were exposed by their pacy wingers.

Their goals came from 2 set pieces and a fluky third. Good poachers finishers but you have to defend them better, something that we really seem to have a problem with.

Not too downbeat, I expected to lost last night but the way we lost is a bit annoying. 1-0 up with 16 minutes to play we have to be smarter. My only slight concern is the spell Wellens had at Oldham where they struggled towards the end of the season with crap pitches. We've seen that against Newport and now Colchester. We played well last night mind you but it is a little concerning and hopefully we aren't going to drop points at places where we really should win.

Onto Exeter!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #456 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:46:15 »

I’ve always thought it better to be playing teams in mid table nothingness toward seasons end, rather than teams scrapping it out at the bottom. Not sure there’s any science to back that up mind, just the assumption that an average team on the beach in April will be easier to play than a shit team fighting for their lives

With only 1 down and that 1 being 1 from 2, I really don't think there's going to many sides crapping for their lives in the bottom half.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:47:03 »

ColU and Newport did the double on us so I don't put it down to the pitches.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:53:32 »

ColU and Newport did the double on us so I don't put it down to the pitches.

What I omitted in my ramble was also about the physicality of sides like Colchester and Newport. As you rightly say, our pitch is a bowling green so can't blame that for our losses to them.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:55:50 »

Colchester & Newport remind me of Millwall & Preston in the Play Off season, in terms of how we match-up against them.  Millwall & Preston both just looked to have our number that season.  Once they got one tonight, and we hadn't stretched the lead, the writing was on the wall.  Those are the only two teams I've seen this season who I get that feeling with.  Lincoln were the previous owners of said title in the past couple of seasons.

What about Northampton?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:57:28 »

The STFC numbers show that it becomes more difficult to pick up points as the season draws to an end.... for what might be called successful seasons, namely achieving promotion or reaching PO's, the mean haul from the final 10 games is 17 points. This comes about mind, because whilst there are some seasons where a tail off happens, like the PdC Div 3 part season, these are compensated by strong seasons like 85/86.

The tail offs happen because of the attritional nature of Div 4, players getting worn down, and fitness levels draining.  You can see it starting to happen to us... symptom, conceding late goals.

At this point with roughly a third of the season to go, all you can say is we're in the mix
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 09:59:43 »

Did he say much?

Not really. Just players he liked. Said Wellens was a bit of a taskmaster, likes a bit of 'tough love'. Mentioned he wants to get Ellis for his agency because he thinks he's gonna get released. That was it really.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:00:06 »

What about Northampton?

I'm more worried about that game than Saturday's match. Get these two games out of the way and onwards
Panda Paws

« Reply #463 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:02:37 »

Luckily for us, we're at our lowest, squad wise, and just about to come through the toughest run of the season, and we're still top.

3 more additions this week, players returning from injury, weather improving, favourable run in.... we won't get a better chance to get out of L2 than this.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 10:08:36 »

I'm more worried about that game than Saturday's match. Get these two games out of the way and onwards
I've already written Northampton off tbh, assuming we'll lose that one.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: