Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester U v Swindon Pre Match Chat and Matchday Thread  (Read 67364 times)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:50:05 »

I was going by the post earlier that Lyden will replace Isgrove already.

Indeed, I think it's more likely that Lyden will replace Isgrove, to provide more steal to midfield. Yates back in the office on Weds.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:55:17 »

Yates back in the office on Weds.

As long as he doesn't talk about football....
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:57:04 »

As long as he doesn't talk about football....

Boom boom  Smiley

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #63 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:17:14 »

Since their last defeat at home to Morecambe on 19th October last year they have won 6 and drawn 9 games picking up 27 points along the way.

Over the same period we have played 15 and picked up 35 points with 11 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats.

Col U form over the last 15 league games  DWWDWDWWDDDDWDD
STFC form over the last 15 league games  WWWWWWWDWLWDWLW

They sit in 5th place 9 points behind us, when their run started we were 2 points better off than them and places higher in the table in 7th place and Crewe were top 7 points ahead of us, now they sit 7 point behind us in 4th.

Unbeaten is all well and good but 4 wins in 5 games is far better 4 draws and a win in 5 games.

Colchester have struggled to score goals with just 38 goals for (we are on 52), which is equal lowest goals scored in the top 7, but, by contrast have conceded just 25 goals which is 6 less than us with only Newport and Cheltenham conceding less goals so far.

In 10 league games at the "insert sponsors name here" stadium we have W4 D2 L4 scoring 12 and conceding 12 in the league.

In home games this season Col U have W7 D5 and L2, the 2 home defeats coming against Morecambe 1-0 and Cambridge 2-1.

Lets put our 2 early season defeats behind us against these lot and step it up and take the game to them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:25:52 »

From Adver - https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/18189834.join-adver-sport-richie-wellens-pre-match-comments-ahead-colchester-united-swindon-town-league-two/

INJURIES

Isgrove (ankle) and Broadbent (undisc.) have small problems, but won't affect them for tomorrow night.

Lyden back and Baudry is OK. Taken off anyway as a precaution.

ON YATES

Will be involved in Rotherham's squad tomorrow night - Wellens says he will make a call on Wednesday to find out the latest.

INCOMINGS

No one in today for tomorrow's game. MAYBE one in tomorrow, but Wednesday should see the bulk of the action. Deadline for someone to play tomorrow passed.

No names, no positions.

RW says he does not want anything to get out as the club has worked so hard to get them this close.

ON COLCHESTER

RW does not believe United will sit back and try and hit Town on the counter.

Town have conceded three goals on the counter and two from set plays against Colchester, so that is where Wellens is hoping his team can improve tomorrow night.

This only other interesting snippet was RW saying he is not thinking about conversations surrounding his contract just yet. That may come once January has concluded.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:42:50 by Gnasher » Logged

Peter Venkman

« Reply #65 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:49:26 »

Colchester have changed their more "agricultural" style from early season to being a side that press from midfield and pass the ball well.

These comments from Exeter fans after the 0-0 draw  on Saturday.

Colchester were well drilled defensively and we had no answer for them

Colchester were good, in fact they edged it, although a draw was a fair result. Their attacking 4 were pacy skilful players who occupied our wing backs all match and our midfield struggled to get a hold on the game against their midfkeld who were equal to everything we put at them.

I'm confident of a win next week at Swindon. Nige will be back dominating and I can see a 2-0 victory.

Defences were well on top today. We lacked that quality in the final third

Colchester are a good side and it was a tough game

With our relative strength in-depth I don't see City slipping up at all. It's too early to call, but I reckon City and Argyle will be in the autos plus either Crewe, Swindon or Northampton.

Colchester showed they can be a real threat and bossed the midfield until mid way through the second half.

One thing also very noticeable and very disappointing was the number of times we passed the ball back from attacking positions often as far back as JM. In contrast when Colchester had the ball they were direct and whilst I may have missed it I cannot recall them playing many, if any, back passes. We certainly have a promotion winning defence. However clean sheets are all very well but to gain promotion either automatically or through the playoffs we have to put the ball in the back of the net regularly too.

Colchester were a good side and deserved the point today.

What was different today was the level of the opposition, Colchester had some very good players on the ball who used the ball quickly and efficiently. Like us they didn't have a killer instinct in front of goal, but they were the better team in the middle of the park. I have thought all season that the best teams in the division are not at the level of the previous seasons I have been watching (two), and for that reason for the first time I have been confident of us getting automatic promotion

Colchester looked to me well capable of automatic promotion and with them and our Cornish cousins on our tail we need to keep focussed now. Swindon next week will give us a very good clue if we can make the autos, but now is the crunch time.

I thought Colchester were good energetic and a solid unit. They didn't offer much up front but dictated midfield, I can't recall the last time our midfield looked so ineffective, relying on long balls in the end to start attacks. Draw was a fair result in the end.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:55:12 »

It will be won and lost in midfield. If our midfield can play like they did after the first twenty on Saturday then all is good.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:23:42 »

I'd be very happy with one win and one loss from next two games.  Much better than 2 draws.

0-2 Woolery & Doughty
Panda Paws

« Reply #68 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:27:08 »

I'd be very happy with one win and one loss from next two games.  Much better than 2 draws.

0-2 Woolery & Doughty

Normally I'd agree with you, but the make up of the games means 2 draws works very well.

If it's 3 points, I'd much rather they came against Exeter. Not losing Saturday is the most important element of the week.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #69 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:28:14 »

Normally I'd agree with you, but the make up of the games means 2 draws works very well.

If it's 3 points, I'd much rather they came against Exeter. Not losing Saturday is the most important element of the week.
This.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:14:23 »

Colchester have changed their more "agricultural" style from early season to being a side that press from midfield and pass the ball well.

These comments from Exeter fans after the 0-0 draw  on Saturday.

I love that we are still a bit under the radar... one post saysExeter, Plymouth and one of three others that might make it for promotion. Keep our heads down and keep rolling on.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:19:45 »

Think we've been written off quite a bit recently after losing Yates and Doyle. We'd have done the same on the face of it, any team would struggle losing the top goalscorers of the whole division.

I think I prefer it this way. The fiction that we have 9/10 players who just kick it aimlessly while Doyle / Yates did all the hard work is laughable but widely believed.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #72 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:28:23 »

Think we've been written off quite a bit recently after losing Yates and Doyle. We'd have done the same on the face of it, any team would struggle losing the top goalscorers of the whole division.

I think I prefer it this way. The fiction that we have 9/10 players who just kick it aimlessly while Doyle / Yates did all the hard work is laughable but widely believed.
Absolutely this. I read all other teams forums daily and every one to a man have written us off after losing Doyle and then compounded it by losing Yates.

Comments like "watch them drop like a stone now" "without their goals they won't score" etc etc.

Long may that underestimation of us carry on.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 17:08:21 »

Im going and we will win.

Cashing in a chip that we lost for the offside goal v Cobblers.

Clems Army!
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 17:26:17 »

Think we'll draw 1-1, would be nice to get a win though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: