Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bamboo's Wanky Wednesday Teaser (on a Thursday)  (Read 51758 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 12:29:19 »

Nope, look at what Donkey put. He's nearly right.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #166 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 14:41:34 »

Talking of floodlights, we all obviously know Town were the first to install and use floodlights (not for a league game) but I found this from a few years back on the OS.

There is something undeniably but also inexplicably special about football under floodlights.

In the winter months, even a standard Saturday fixture at three requires them by half-time.

At Grimsby Town last weekend, the pylons were beaming light onto the turf an hour before kick-off – of course, that is in deep dark North East Lincolnshire.

Ever here, in sunny Swindon, they will be used today by half-time, if not before, and are steeped in history.

Town were the first Football League club to install floodlights – they played their first match under them on Monday 2nd April 1951. Due to happen on the 19th March, a friendly against Bristol City was postponed because of bad weather – on 2nd April, Town braved the elements to win 2-1.

At this point, however, floodlit football was still banned, following a decision in 1930 by the FA and, despite an increased appetite, even when the blanket ban was lifted in 1951, clubs still had to apply for specific dispensation to play under their new beamers.

It was Wolverhampton Wanderers who did most to advance the cause of matches under the lights playing several high-profile and popular friendlies under the lights.

Swindon were at it too, though – the first European club to play under the famous lights here at SN1 was Fenerbahce, from Turkey, in October 1953. 7,000 were at the CG that day to see the home side batter their Turkish opponents 5-1.

Austrian opponents also came to visit – SK Admira and SC Columbia visited in 1954 and 1955 – over those two years, reserve team fixtures were also played – on Monday evenings – nicknamed ‘Shilling Night’ games because of their two-bob entry fee.

Town were pipped to the privilege of playing the first league game under floodlights – by seven days! Portsmouth had that honour on the 22nd February 1956 facing up against Newcastle United in the First Division.

Town’s first outing, in competitive action, with the four pylons illuminating the corners of the County Ground was a contest between the Robins and Millwall and only came to be because of Town’s (relatively unexpected) involvement in the FA Cup Third Round. The game had originally been meant for the 7th January but was moved to the third Wednesday in the second month because of Swindon’s tie against non-league Worksop.

Maurice Owen scored the only goal of the night, winning the game for the home side and lifting the Town off the bottom of the table for the first time since mid-September.

Since then, the County Ground has held countless memorable nights lit up by the current pylons which were not actually erected until 1960.

One famous occasion where the floodlights were thrust into the, well, spotlight was when, in December 1992, Tranmere held the lead at the County Ground before the lights went out. This forced a replay in which Glenn Hoddle dazzled for Town and they prevailed 2-0 winners, edging them away from Rovers in the First Division and closer to the top two.

In 1996, the lights went out before Town’s 2-2 draw with Brentford – true perfection has to be imperfect, it turns out.

It sounds foolish but it’s true and for many fans they hold a very special place in the heart – Rich Pullen, founder of the Loathed Stranger Podcast - which celebrates Town’s past, present and future - is certainly one of those supporters:

“There’s something great about winning under the lights at the County Ground, isn’t there? It’s incredible to think the current County Ground floodlights have been in place for almost sixty years. Let that sink in for a moment. SIXTY!

“To many people they are simply floodlights and that’s fair enough but to others (including myself) they’re a really quite symbolic and act as a monument to sixty years of memories for Swindon Town fans, players and staff alike.

“Those colossal pylons have towered over the Town through all of our successes and failures - from Bertie’s Babes to several League Cup adventures to the winning of our first game in the top flight to league wins and everything in between.

“Some people reserve enthusiastic anticipation for football landmarks such as Wembley but I vividly remember, as a child, impatiently staring out of the passenger seat window of my dad’s car waiting to catch a glimpse of the County Ground and, especially at night, there was really only one noticeable view. Even today when I arrive in Swindon via train the first thing I do is make sure I seek out the lights between the gaps of nearby buildings at the first opportunity.”

As for the answer I have no idea!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 15:05:54 »

Nope, look at what Donkey put. He's nearly right.

Is it the same but 4?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #168 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 15:12:22 »

Is it the same but 4?
Unlikely as number 3 was Bodins favourite number and other than being a sub I don't remember him playing in any number other than 3.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 15:12:59 »

Bodin wore no. 3
The clock shows 3 at ko,
The floodlights have 3 rows of lights.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #170 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 15:14:15 »

Bodin wore no. 3
The clock shows 3 at ko,
The floodlights have 3 rows of lights.
3 and a half Wink

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 16:10:08 »

When I said Donkey was close. He has the right number but one of the connections is wrong.

'Incessant Nonsense'

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 16:15:15 »

When I said Donkey was close. He has the right number but one of the connections is wrong.
The clock stopped at 3 pm.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 16:20:03 »

Nope.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 16:52:29 »

3 = Number of floodlights that don't go through the Town End roof.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 16:56:53 »

3 floodlight failures?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 17:47:28 »

3 different types of floodlights

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
anglia red

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 17:59:55 »

Bodin no 3 ,clock 3pm and 3 floodlight bulb not working.

ome on you reds
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 18:02:12 »

You're all flooding towards the wrong connection. Only time will tell if can get it right.

'Incessant Nonsense'

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, February 29, 2020, 18:02:25 »

The clock has broken 3 times?
Floodlights create 3 shadows ?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: