Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 7761 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:44:45 »

Just wondering what Languages our users are fluent in?

Growing up to Polish parents i naturally leaned to speak the language. I didn't spend my Saturdays paying in the park, i spent them going to Polish school.

If you're thinking of learning Polish, here is an example of the world of pain you are in for.

Jag-shemash

Things get better but they never get good
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:47:16 »

English - 'tis my mother tongue,
French - fluent, and should be after 22 years living here....
German - O level standard (but that was almost 40 years ago). I worked in Germany for a couple of weeks about 20 years ago and was surprised that, after a couple of days, I was able to get by quite comfortably.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:50:31 »

As I've got older, my speaking has deteriorated, but I've no issues reading or understanding it and love eavesdropping on conversation when they dont think i can understand what they are saying. 

Yeah, same here.
Polish is a wonderfully sweary language.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:55:58 »

I’m struggling with Greek. OK with the basic niceties but it’s the alphabet which makes it difficult to learn.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:59:53 »

I’m struggling with Greek. OK with the basic niceties but it’s the alphabet which makes it difficult to learn.

Malaka

That's about the only thing I learned when I was there.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:04:53 »

Malaka

That's about the only thing I learned when I was there.
Useful!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:06:18 »

I'm barely fluent in English!

Chuubbs, are all of those standard polish or regional variations or what?!

Not sure about regional variations but Polish has a formal and informal tense which are basically different languages. I did a Polish course a while back. Never got fluent and can barely remember any now.

Also learned a bit of French, Spanish and Russian at various times but it never sticks if you don't practice.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:06:38 »

I was fairly fluent in Khmer for a while. My wife would tell you I was always shite, but meeting her was when I started to lose it. She was almost always there to communicate or I'd look to her to translate a conversation I was having, rather than trying to work it out for myself.

Of all the languages I've picked up bits of, if I had to learn one it would be bahasa Malay/Indonesia. Seems fairly straight forward.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:15:02 »

Not sure about regional variations but Polish has a formal and informal tense which are basically different languages. I did a Polish course a while back. Never got fluent and can barely remember any now.

Also learned a bit of French, Spanish and Russian at various times but it never sticks if you don't practice.

What John said.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:40:56 »

Embarrassed to say that despite living in Luxembourg for 9 years I barely topped up my school French and I really regret not making much more of an effort with French and even a bit of German.

Our long term goal is to do an Audrey and move to Turkey permanently when we no longer need to work and so know a little bit of Turkish, which I hope to get much better at over the years. I do try when I am over there, but just don't know enough to have a conversation and usually give up after I have stated 'Ikki Bira Lutfen'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:47:26 »

Ikki Bira Lutfen

I don't speak a word of Turkish, but I'll guess that means 'one beer please'?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:53:59 »

I don't speak a word of Turkish, but I'll guess that means 'one beer please'?

Close, 2 beers please. 1 is actually Bir in Turkish so that would have been Bir Bira Lutfen.

Fascinating huh!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:59:06 »

I always find that shouting "beer" while motioning the drinking arm going to the mouth is always enough, with my knotted hanky on my head and red lobster glow on my cheeks and chin.

You are welcome for this "international sign language" advice.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 14:04:23 »

I always find that shouting "beer" while motioning the drinking arm going to the mouth is always enough, with my knotted hanky on my head and red lobster glow on my cheeks and chin.

I'm fluent in pointing at stuff.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 14:10:04 »

My Dad excelled himself when we were on holiday in France as kids, by motioning over the waiter in a beach bar and gesticulating at his pint carefully enunciating "Cette biere est cloudy, je cannot see mon finger through it". The waiter looked at him witheringly and said "I'm from Leeds, mate".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: