Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 7773 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:46:52 »

Just wondering what Languages our users are fluent in?

Growing up to Polish parents i naturally leaned to speak the language. I didn't spend my Saturdays paying in the park, i spent them going to Polish school.

If you're thinking of learning Polish, here is an example of the world of pain you are in for.

Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:57:33 »

I can get by in Thai, but I don't speak it as well I should be able to by now. I'm lazy like that; pretty much everybody that I know speaks English.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:57:49 »

No wonder your name is 'Chubbs' if you have to do all that eating!  Grin

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:02:20 »

I can get by in Thai, but I don't speak it as well I should be able to by now. I'm lazy like that; pretty much everybody that I know speaks English.
Its a lot easier these day, which is why i think people have gotten lazy with learning languages. Why bother when everyone can speak English. 20/25 years ago this was not the case, especially in Poland so you had no choice.
As I've got older, my speaking has deteriorated, but I've no issues reading or understanding it and love eavesdropping on conversation when they dont think i can understand what they are saying. 
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:02:43 »

No wonder your name is 'Chubbs' if you have to do all that eating!  Grin
Its very apt...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:03:54 »

I do love languages but am not fluent in any other than English, sadly. I was pretty good at French until I left school. I've also picked up little bits of Italian, Czech, Thai and Malay (and probably others) when visiting places but as soon as I stop using a language I tend to forget it all.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:04:17 »

Latin, I did it at school. Bristolian, I had family there  Smiley
« Last Edit: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:07:17 by 4D » Logged
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:07:10 »

Russian, but not as fluent as I should be.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:10:54 »

I do love languages but am not fluent in any other than English, sadly. I was pretty good at French until I left school. I've also picked up little bits of Italian, Czech, Thai and Malay (and probably others) when visiting places but as soon as I stop using a language I tend to forget it all.

I think that's the issue, you have to use it constantly to keep up to speed. Growing up, as well as school, my mum and dad would watch polish TV and we would holiday to Poland sometimes twice a year so it was always fresh. As I've grown up, and seldom needed to use the language, my speaking is not as good as it should be.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:13:26 »

Love languages and how they open doors for you. It's true that most people speak some English these days, but if you want to sell stuff in Europe, as I've been trying to do for 35 years, you need to speak their languages. I'm native-level French, and get by in German. Also did Latin at school, which has been helpful in deciphering Spanish and Italian.

Looking at that Polish only makes me feel I should have started 40 years ago. There isn't enough time left to start working it out now!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:16:52 »

I've always fancied having a go at learning Gaelic or Welsh.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:25:33 »

Down the years having done a lot of walking in Wales, learning the basics of place names and pronounciations, was fun.

I've a mate who's a poyglot, his most recent language was Turkish, he swears by watching satellite TV as a way of learning. Perhaps you could do the same with Welsh.... S4C etc.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:35:21 »

I'm barely fluent in English!

Chuubbs, are all of those standard polish or regional variations or what?!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:35:47 »

I love the idea of learning languages but I am on the whole shite at them.

I could probably just about cobble by in French (if I had the confidence - I don't) and can probably order a beer in Spanish and Italian and that's just about it!

Embarrassing really! I spend most of my time abroad these days cycling in Belgium and the Netherlands, and almost without exception everyone speaks English better than I do! Have been toying with the idea with having a go at Dutch as its one of the easier languages.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:36:34 »

Talking of which I notice my Garlic has come up in the garden this morning, hopefully a sign of spring.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: