Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 49998 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:11:16 »

While all that is true, it applies to every club as well.

Indeed, but this is when your model comes into play, and the grinders have an advantage
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:15:10 »

I don't think people are panicking, rather there is a slow sense of reality starting to creep in.... for example we've the lowest points haul from the last 5 games of any top ten team, joint with ColU and FGR.
Reality is we are top of the league, with a comfortable cushion over the play-off positions, and have only lost twice since October. Having come most of the way through a tough run of fixtures better than most predicted, including of course our resident doom-monger, despite several key members of the squad being unavailable due to injuries/suspension etc. The reality is a lot rosier than the grim picture you're trying to paint
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:16:50 »

I think it gets ugly if we drop out of the auto slots and don't make the necessary strengthening signings. Wellens has done a remarkable job thus far of making very little go a long way, but he needs support from above.

Assuming that you haven't found god, I assume this is aimed at Power?

Has there been evidence that Wellens has sought support from above and it not been provided?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:19:27 »

Indeed, but this is when your model comes into play, and the grinders have an advantage
Then it’s a good job fellow footballing sides, Exeter and Crewe, are just behind us and will, obviously, suffer the same fate!
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:20:40 »

I'm (most) with others.

I'd be glad to be in touch by the time we've gotten Exeter out of the way; and I said as such before this run started. We've exceeded my expectations so far. They've done especially well considering our injuries and what not.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:21:15 »

Reality is we are top of the league, with a comfortable cushion over the play-off positions, and have only lost twice since October. Having come most of the way through a tough run of fixtures better than most predicted, including of course our resident doom-monger, despite several key members of the squad being unavailable due to injuries/suspension etc. The reality is a lot rosier than the grim picture you're trying to paint

As usual you're wide of the mark, reality is that if Crewe and Plymuff win games in hand we're out of the top 3, if Exeter at least draw their game in hand.

That's just how it is....
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:22:43 »

Except Reg is right about the model. To play the style he wants, Wellens went for cut-price talent via loans and injury-prones. That bore a risk that is now playing out. And he has form on this - everything went tits up for him at Oldham when his flowing football got bogged down on wintry pitches. We're definitely vulnerable for a few weeks now. With only Baudry and Lyden coming back into contention over the next couple of weeks, he'll need Power's support to avoid history repeating.

And I noted that Swansea have just sent the second-choice keeper out on loan...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:23:13 »

As usual you're wide of the mark, reality is that if Crewe and Plymuff win games in hand we're out of the top 3, if Exeter at least draw their game in hand.
Points on board > games in hand. Your scenario is based on ifs and maybes, I'm talking about the reality of where we are now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:29:43 »

Points on board > games in hand. Your scenario is based on ifs and maybes, I'm talking about the reality of where we are now.

I agree it's better to have points in the bag... however when gih are factored in things don't look quite so rosy.... which tells us nothing can be taken for granted and a lot of work to do.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:29:58 »

That's just how it is....
Again, you’re correct. Apart from Exeter’s game in hand is against Crewe. So one, or both, will drop points.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:30:54 »

And I noted that Swansea have just sent the second-choice keeper out on loan...

The deadline to recall Benda from loan expired on 10 Jan (I think, but its definitely passed) - so Benda is here for the season (Wellens on BBC Wilts).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:32:08 »

Again, you’re correct. Apart from Exeter’s game in hand is against Crewe. So one, or both, will drop points.

That's quite handy...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:34:01 »

The deadline to recall Benda from loan expired on 10 Jan (I think, but its definitely passed) - so Benda is here for the season (Wellens on BBC Wilts).

Grin Part 1... awaiting Parts 2 & 3.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:35:17 »

Best to review where we are post Exeter game. Don’t forget that all the other top teams have to play each other as well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:34:22 »

Swindon 0-0 Port Vale in front of 7,395 with 311 Valers there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: