Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 50009 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:29:05 »

I'm getting this one in early. A huge weekend for us, a game we need to get a good win, especially we are home to Exetertge week after. Hoping ColU get a draw, and Mansfield and Stevenage win this weekend too.

I'll go for 3-1 att: 7,735 (208 them).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:37:51 »

I'm getting this one in early. A huge weekend for us, a game we need to get a good win, especially we are home to Exetertge week after. Hoping ColU get a draw, and Mansfield and Stevenage win this weekend too.

I'll go for 3-1 att: 7,735 (208 them).

Don't forget we've a midweek trip to ColU after PV.  We do need to beat PV any way will do, because we've already lost 3-0  to ColU twice this season and haven't beaten Exeter at the CG for 35 years.  Things could start to turn ugly...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:51:40 »

my hope is come January 31st we are in touch with the top 3, and with an adequate Doyle replacement (or Doyle).

it's not much fun treading water in the meantime, granted
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:05:41 »

We are already 5 points better off this month than I expected so we have given ourselves a little breathing space to get through the next 3 games.  5 points from the next 3 should see us good.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:13:50 »

We've lost twice in the league since October. No need to get the panic button out just yet, methinks
Panda Paws

« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:30:47 »

Don't forget we've a midweek trip to ColU after PV.  We do need to beat PV any way will do, because we've already lost 3-0  to ColU twice this season and haven't beaten Exeter at the CG for 35 years.  Things could start to turn ugly...

Any by "ugly" you mean we could drop to 3rd or 4th, with a great run in and a squad being bolstered by returning players?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:31:15 »

We've lost twice in the league since October. No need to get the panic button out just yet, methinks

I don't think people are panicking, rather there is a slow sense of reality starting to creep in.... for example we've the lowest points haul from the last 5 games of any top ten team, joint with ColU and FGR.

This isn't altogether a surprise, given the fixtures and injuries and inevitable recall of Doyle etc, (despite what some said)

IN order to restore belief we need to beat PV on Sat... it's that simple.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:31:34 »

Any idea if anyone is back from injury? I guess Doughty will be as his was just an illness, and I think Lyden is still suspended... Any news on Baudry or Fryers?

Port Vale were well up for the game at their place and I think they were on a run of form which has fizzled a tiny bit. The injuries in the first half of that game affected us quite a bit I think, so not sure you can read too much into that result last month. Need a strong performance and 3 points to settle the nerves that have, for some reason, crept in after one bad result.

Hoping for a couple of new faces before the weekend.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:35:23 »

Any by "ugly" you mean we could drop to 3rd or 4th, with a great run in and a squad being bolstered by returning players?

I think it gets ugly if we drop out of the auto slots and don't make the necessary strengthening signings. Wellens has done a remarkable job thus far of making very little go a long way, but he needs support from above.
Panda Paws

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:35:43 »

Any idea if anyone is back from injury? I guess Doughty will be as his was just an illness, and I think Lyden is still suspended... Any news on Baudry or Fryers?

Port Vale were well up for the game at their place and I think they were on a run of form which has fizzled a tiny bit. The injuries in the first half of that game affected us quite a bit I think, so not sure you can read too much into that result last month. Need a strong performance and 3 points to settle the nerves that have, for some reason, crept in after one bad result.

Other than the usual suspects on here, where have the nerves set in? RW and the players certainly won't be too concerned.

We've taken 7 points from 4 tough games in January. That's better than most thought.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:37:19 »

Fryers is long termish as is Anderson... Baudry better news.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:41:56 »

I've always been of the mind that if we're in touch with the top after the Exeter game (say, within 4 points) then our run in gives us a great chace to win the league. Nothing that's happened recently has changed my opinion on that.

I think we'll get the three points against Vale. 5 points from the next 3 games would do nicely, leaving us second at worst having played all the current top 4 or 5 twice.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:53:20 »

At the beginning of this tough month I didn’t expect to still be top by the middle of the month.

We are doing absolutely fine this month, we will obviously strengthen before the window closes and be a great position for the easier final 3 months of the season.

Have seen very little evidence of nerves from the squad and most fans.  We don’t have to beat Vale but expect we will, very strong home form recently.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:59:12 »

Other than the usual suspects on here, where have the nerves set in? RW and the players certainly won't be too concerned.

We've taken 7 points from 4 tough games in January. That's better than most thought.

You're assuming that we get through Jan's tough looking fixtures in one piece then it gets easier, sadly it doesn't really work that way.  When the pressure is on to win, doesn't much matter who you play, not easy, unless of course you really are that much better than everyone else.

We do need to see some strengthening over the next 10 or so days.... the players will need to see it also, that the owner means business. 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:07:57 »

While all that is true, it applies to every club as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: