Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 20 goal strikers  (Read 11502 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 22:04:19 »

I know this has somewhat been done to death before, but I wonder if teams with 2 x 20 goal players and 1 x 10+ have ever NOT been promoted before?  You'd think getting 50+ goals from 3 players would likely mean a lot of wins in a season.

Asking because Yates is on target to hit 20, Doyle already did and someone like a Grigg could easily hit 10 by seasons end.  Would be a fantastic signing I think, especially with the team set-up as it is.  I made reference to Clive Allen and Spurs in the mid 80's - a team designed to feed him.  Interestingly, Shaun Close was one of his back-ups.  Given what we saw of him, I wonder if even he could score in a team like that?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 08:05:47 »

I know this has somewhat been done to death before, but I wonder if teams with 2 x 20 goal players and 1 x 10+ have ever NOT been promoted before?  You'd think getting 50+ goals from 3 players would likely mean a lot of wins in a season.

Asking because Yates is on target to hit 20, Doyle already did and someone like a Grigg could easily hit 10 by seasons end.  Would be a fantastic signing I think, especially with the team set-up as it is.  I made reference to Clive Allen and Spurs in the mid 80's - a team designed to feed him.  Interestingly, Shaun Close was one of his back-ups.  Given what we saw of him, I wonder if even he could score in a team like that?

Keshi has 6, it would be disappointing if he didnt hit 10 this season if fit.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 08:53:28 »

Agree, we’re seeing the KA that has laid dormant for to long. Could we be seeing the cygnet turn into a swan if you will under the master Wellens?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 09:48:19 »

That part appears to be the problem.

A fit and on form Anderson is a massive asset.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 09:58:39 »

I know this has somewhat been done to death before, but I wonder if teams with 2 x 20 goal players and 1 x 10+ have ever NOT been promoted before?  You'd think getting 50+ goals from 3 players would likely mean a lot of wins in a season.

Asking because Yates is on target to hit 20, Doyle already did and someone like a Grigg could easily hit 10 by seasons end.  Would be a fantastic signing I think, especially with the team set-up as it is.  I made reference to Clive Allen and Spurs in the mid 80's - a team designed to feed him.  Interestingly, Shaun Close was one of his back-ups.  Given what we saw of him, I wonder if even he could score in a team like that?

2 20+ players in a  regulation league season are extremely rare.... no examples at STFC in my time.  When I crunched the numbers for other sides in 21st Century, it was something like 3% of promoted clubs in the FL had 2.

However it's entirely possible there are examples.... we've had 2 examples of 20 goal men alongside 19 goal men and not gone up. Also, Parkin Mooney and Fallon got 45 between them without elevation.  In the 60's The Don, Bullets Brown and Willie Penman got 52 between them and we were nowhere near.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:23:51 »

It’s in the Adver and the club site as officially a done deal.

Sound just like our Reg... https://twitter.com/Official_STFC/status/1217031101203353600
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 11:54:37 »

I see that Liam McAlinden who we have been linked with has left Halifax and is available on a free.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 11:59:17 »

I see that Liam McAlinden who we have been linked with has left Halifax and is available on a free.
Not good enough for L2.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:01:09 »

I know this has somewhat been done to death before, but I wonder if teams with 2 x 20 goal players and 1 x 10+ have ever NOT been promoted before?  You'd think getting 50+ goals from 3 players would likely mean a lot of wins in a season.

Asking because Yates is on target to hit 20, Doyle already did and someone like a Grigg could easily hit 10 by seasons end.  Would be a fantastic signing I think, especially with the team set-up as it is.  I made reference to Clive Allen and Spurs in the mid 80's - a team designed to feed him.  Interestingly, Shaun Close was one of his back-ups.  Given what we saw of him, I wonder if even he could score in a team like that?

Paynter 26
Austin 20
Ward 9

If only Ward had scored one more
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:01:40 »

If we get one of the ‘names’ being bandied about, we’ll also need another back up striker. I suppose that Janneh fella from City was the choice.

McAlinden wouldn’t be a bad alternative.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:05:18 »

If we get one of the ‘names’ being bandied about, we’ll also need another back up striker. I suppose that Janneh fella from City was the choice.

McAlinden wouldn’t be a bad alternative.
At 26 he will be wanting first team guaranteed football, 12 league goals for a 26 year old is not great though and never scored more than 3 in a season at league level.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:31:30 »

Paynter 26
Austin 20
Ward 9

If only Ward had scored one more

Austin only scored 19 in regulation season.
Panda Paws

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:35:55 »

Not good enough for L2.

Or L1, which is now how we should be thinking with permanent additions.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:43:50 »

Or L1, which is now how we should be thinking with permanent additions.
Absolutely, he is also a wide striker more like a slower version of Woolery, we don't really need another wide striker, an out and out backup winger or a number 10...yes, but not a wide striker.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 12:52:04 »

Austin only scored 19 in regulation season.

We played in the play offs
I counted the play offs
What are you going to do about it, eh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: