Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 4068 times)
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:18:16 »

Evil bastard things, aren't they? I resisted a smartphone until about 2014, and now I can't do without it for work, or at least it would make life much more difficult(and that's how they get you, right?)

Anyone not got one/got rid of it? I'm thinking of sticking the fucker on top of the fridge when I get home from work. Two of my best mates still have old brick phones, although one has an iPhone at home with no sim that he just uses for checking STFC news on the adver site Smiley Wish I could be more like that at times.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:21:08 »

I still use an ancient iPhone.

I hardly turn the thing on but still manage to get calls from various power companies, accident chasers, ‘Windows Technical Team’ plus various other scammers.

Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:23:58 »

I’m on mine far to much, and I hate myself for it. I’ve recently come off all social media to try and stop going on it. Also turned all my notifications off over the weekend so I had no idea if anyone had text me etc. It was bliss.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:27:14 »

The last few years I took a vow of trying to use my phone much less. So I never use it whilst walking, when on a commute i'll just use it to listen to podcasts or Spotify. My theory was to try and take in more of my surroundings and be more aware, but all that it has done is made me more aware of how many other people are actually messing about with their phones!!

Don't get me wrong, they are a magnificent invention, but I've now started to leave my phone at home if out for dinner with the wife etc (unless Swindon are playing and I want to keep abreast of the score!)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:28:21 »

I still use an ancient iPhone.

I hardly turn the thing on but still manage to get calls from various power companies, accident chasers, ‘Windows Technical Team’ plus various other scammers.

Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off!

I don't answer to anyone not in my contacts, if it's important then they'll leave a message!

It's the incessant looking at the fucker that drives me mad. It's fine when I'm busy, it's the down time when I could be doing something much better that gets me.
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:32:33 »

I barely use mine.

I don't even take it out with me a lot of the time. About the only times that I do is when there's a chance I might need to take/receive calls about where to meet up etc. I spend a lot of my time on the computer so I communicate that way. When I'm out I have no desire to communicate with anybody other than the people I am with.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:34:28 »

I barely use mine.

I don't even take it out with me a lot of the time. About the only times that I do is when there's a chance I might need to take/receive calls about where to meet up etc. I spend a lot of my time on the computer so I communicate that way. When I'm out I have no desire to communicate with anybody other than the people I am with.
This for me too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:37:05 »

Unsurprisingly I'm a smart phone refusenik. 

It's odd how the proper addict gets upset when I point out it's perfectly possible to lead a full and meaningful life without.

Panda Paws

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:42:20 »

I annoy myself with the amount of time I spend on it, and am actively trying to wean myself off. Some good tips here - particularly leaving it at home/in the car if you're out with the missus.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:46:09 »

It’s amazing, and depressing, when I’m out on the town how many couples are both on their phones and seemingly ignoring each other.

And it’s not just the youngsters either.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:47:11 »

I annoy myself with the amount of time I spend on it, and am actively trying to wean myself off. Some good tips here - particularly leaving it at home/in the car if you're out with the missus.

Its really difficult to do and I try and use it as a test of will power. So on my commute to work on the Thames Clipper I always leave my phone face down to as not to 'fall into temptation'. Same when watching tv but in all honesty I always pick the bloody thing up every 10 minutes so if there is something on TV I really want to pay attention to, the phone has to go in a different room!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 15:48:11 »

Apart from using search engines, mine is just for a few forums and keeping up with football scores, and taking photos. Never had a social media account. I couldn't give a shit about someone frying an egg  Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 16:03:19 »

Unsurprisingly I'm a smart phone refusenik. 

It's odd how the proper addict gets upset when I point out it's perfectly possible to lead a full and meaningful life without.

The only surprise there is that you think it's odd they get upset when you seek to share the benefit of your wisdom with them.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 16:08:23 »

The only surprise there is that you think it's odd they get upset when you seek to share the benefit of your wisdom with them.

I only ever offer advice when people enquire as to how it is possible to lead a life without a smart phone. If they don't ask I don't offer.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 16:18:43 »

I only ever offer advice when people enquire as to how it is possible to lead a life without a smart phone. If they don't ask I don't offer.

I don't work at a desk, yet I need to send/receive emails and photos throughout the day. Any tips?  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: