Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bradford City pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 61578 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:20:50 »

They, or at least their manager, is more afraid of losing than actually trying to win.

It boils down to keeping tight and trying to nick one. They’re Stevenage, Newport and all the other boring clusterfucks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:24:47 »

On another note, fair play to JayBox and the GWReds chaps for the Darby shirt thing. Didn't see it "live" as it was right next to where we sit but looking at the pictures online, that's a great tribute
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:29:21 »

there are some fair enough observations in there  - in the context  of being based on what they've seen of us.

I honestly think we'd have been the same had Doyle been available though.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:37:51 »

As usual, some views from Bradford fans on todays game.

Almost every one to a man suggests we are nothing without Doyle and will plummet without him.

7 first teamers injured or unavailable pre game, and playing with a midfielder in defence.

They obviously have no idea that we have currently our 2 first choice centre backs (Baudry & Conroy) out as well as our stand in centre back (Zakuani), our 1st choice left back (Donohue) and stand in left back (Iandolo), our stand in centre back (Fryers) got injured midway through the first half, our top scorer (Doyle), our 3rd top scorer (Anderson) and we finished the game with 10 men after Lydens wreckless challenge, when also Bradford should have lost Reeves for an equally shit tackle in the first half.

All things considered I think we did ok to get a draw after such a bad run of injuries.

Oh and by the way, Bradford won't be vying for top spot if thats how they play, they were dull defensive and dire to watch and created very very little.
Ultimately they have even greater delusions of grandeur off a fews seasons in the Premier League than some of our fans do. They have artificially high crowds due to prices and their travelling numbers show their true support. They’ve spent as much time as us in this shit division over the last 10 or so years.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:44:29 »

there are some fair enough observations in there  - in the context  of being based on what they've seen of us.

I honestly think we'd have been the same had Doyle been available though.
My favourite was the one who thought they outclassed us 2nd half.

Bradford are a lot of things, but classy isn’t one of them. Tbf, there was very little class on show today.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 19:45:56 »

If I supported Bradford, I'd be scratching my head about Swindon given our two games against them.  Probably one of our worst footballing performances of the season today.  Doyle might have added something, but he wouldn't have had any influence in our decision not to pass it around today - I say decision because the style was so different it had to be a choice we made when we saw the pitch.  Hopefully we can sign a defender or two and move Grant back out (I agree he is much better in midfield, of course, but you would not want Curran or Broadbent to have started today).  That covers Lyden's absence and he can use his suspension as a rest.  Assuming Grant is signed-up of course.  Isgrove should come back better in a week with some minutes under his belt now and then a weeks rest/training.  The game situation means you are disappointed to drop some points, but the overall outcome of the past few weeks remains positive despite a challenging time with injuries.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 20:01:23 »

A decent point.
Very sterile second half.
Should be a better game to watch next Saturday, but we'll have to play a lot better to get something out of it.

Zero quality up front in open play from them.
Won't make top 3 by drawing games.

Thought Caddis was excellent today.
His previous experience here will be vital. Add him to the list of must keeps.
We live in interesting times.

Impressive turn of pace by the tubby steward as well.
A head lock and being frogmarched away only applies to those old enough to shave it would appear.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 20:04:59 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 20:01:54 »

disagree. today's performance had everything to with the cb pairing. Grant doesnt influence games at cb and his awareness and passing today was terrible. No grant in midfield means no Doughty. Those two can dominate and create. Nothing came from cm midfield today- it was all on DJ and Woolery who wasted every opportunity to play someone through or take a shot.

Point taken, although I thought that Caddis and Isgrove linked up well down the right during the first half.  That was the only spark in the middle of the field (minus Grant & Doughty).

We all see a different game, I know, but I actually thought the first half wasn't that bad.  We contained Bradford easily, and I remember feeling that 1-0 was a fair half time score.  Second half, we looked like we probably should have expected at the end of the Christmas/NY schedule (along with a growing list of injuries).  And still got a point vs another promotion chasing side.

So long as the transfer business is reflects the good points made above, my glass is definitely half full.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 21:02:10 »

Today was a tough game - Bradford are a tough team to beat and top 4 contenders, unlike most of the sides we have met at the CG recently.  We had a makeshift defence and our best midfielder in the back 4, and our top scorer unavailable. Despite that we were worth a point. Neither side really did enough to win - neither keeper made a real save (apart from the pen we only had a DJ header and the Lyden tackle come shot in the second half on target, they only had their goal. Both sides moves broke down in the congestion near the penalty areas, and by the end both sets of players looked exhausted - as RW said post match the product of too many games without proper recovery time.
Until the sending off (for me the Reeves tackle on DJ first half was as bad or worse than Lyden’s) I thought the ref did ok, in a game where players on both sides were constantly making a meal of minor challenges, going down holding heads or limbs to win free kicks and encourage yellow cards for opponents. In isolation I can see why Lyden got a red, but as Reeves got yellow so should Lyden. A 3 game ban is not good news, particularly with the other injuries.
We also pick up soft bookings for unnecessary and silly things - Hunt and Woolery today being examples of that. Those could create problems later in the season.
Clearly with the injuries we need the loan situations resolved and central defensive reinforcements rapidly.
On the plus side we are top of the table, and we have 50 points after 26 games - another 34 or 35 (11 wins and 1 or 2 draws) from the last 20 will get us into the top 3 at the end of the season.
In that context a return of 8 or more points from the 4 remaining January games will be ok. By the end of the month we will hopefully have a settled squad (loan issues or other transfers sorted) and some of the injured fit again. If we have 58 points from 30 games, 9 wins from the last 16 will be enough.
Keep believing!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 21:34:43 »

Today was a tough game - Bradford are a tough team to beat and top 4 contenders, unlike most of the sides we have met at the CG recently.  We had a makeshift defence and our best midfielder in the back 4, and our top scorer unavailable. Despite that we were worth a point. Neither side really did enough to win - neither keeper made a real save (apart from the pen we only had a DJ header and the Lyden tackle come shot in the second half on target, they only had their goal. Both sides moves broke down in the congestion near the penalty areas, and by the end both sets of players looked exhausted - as RW said post match the product of too many games without proper recovery time.
Until the sending off (for me the Reeves tackle on DJ first half was as bad or worse than Lyden’s) I thought the ref did ok, in a game where players on both sides were constantly making a meal of minor challenges, going down holding heads or limbs to win free kicks and encourage yellow cards for opponents. In isolation I can see why Lyden got a red, but as Reeves got yellow so should Lyden. A 3 game ban is not good news, particularly with the other injuries.
We also pick up soft bookings for unnecessary and silly things - Hunt and Woolery today being examples of that. Those could create problems later in the season.
Clearly with the injuries we need the loan situations resolved and central defensive reinforcements rapidly.
On the plus side we are top of the table, and we have 50 points after 26 games - another 34 or 35 (11 wins and 1 or 2 draws) from the last 20 will get us into the top 3 at the end of the season.
In that context a return of 8 or more points from the 4 remaining January games will be ok. By the end of the month we will hopefully have a settled squad (loan issues or other transfers sorted) and some of the injured fit again. If we have 58 points from 30 games, 9 wins from the last 16 will be enough.
Keep believing!

Succinctly put.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 22:04:15 »

Just seen this ad on the Bantams forum. Don't think I'll be signing up...

* Screenshot_2020-01-04-22-02-40.png (237.22 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 434 times.)

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 22:07:34 »

My favourite was the one who thought they outclassed us 2nd half.

Bradford are a lot of things, but classy isn’t one of them. Tbf, there was very little class on show today.
Apart from the first 20 minutes from us and their free kick. The rest of the game was played by 2 tired looking teams and it showed.

Sent from my POT-LX1
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 23:12:04 »

Interesting thing at the bottom of the Bradford comments that Power and Jewell weren't there. Sat round Doyles house having a cup of tea with a Bic then..
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 23:13:32 »

As a side note, have we ever had a season where we have had so many in game defensive injuries and subs? Our points return in these matches this season is terrible I'm sure. messes the whole team up. I'm thinking Baudry twice and Fryers twice?
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, January 4, 2020, 23:26:06 »

As a side note, have we ever had a season where we have had so many in game defensive injuries and subs? Our points return in these matches this season is terrible I'm sure. messes the whole team up. I'm thinking Baudry twice and Fryers twice?

We predicted it at the start of the season with the injury record of most of the signings. Fryers must now be on his 3rd stint out injured, Baudry his 2nd, Conroy long term, Isgrove was for (I’m guessing) 6-7 weeks. Lyden has generally got through, as the bonus so far. Even still, Fryers is on course for his highest number of appearances in a season.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: