Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New thermostat  (Read 8249 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:35:52 »

cosy - (similar style product), only used it for heating as combi boiler so water is on demand.

Fitting - someone did it for us as part of the deal!

3 (or more) boxes:-

1. A box placed with the boiler. This is wired into the boiler somehow and is powered from the boiler. This is a receiver and overrides the normal thermostats call (on off) for heating.

2. Wireless themostat(s) - just need plugging into the mains. No doubt there is some kind of pairing up needed if you add extras.

3. Wireless control box. This needs plugging into the mains and ethernet connecting into the router. This is the bit that receives from the themostat or via internet and tells the boiler what to do.

Sorry can't be more specific. I guess nest/hive are similar and I have no idea how the water/multi zone heating stuff works as we have a very simple system.

Ta, ours is the same sort of thing with a combi boiler on demand water, will have a speak to the sparky and see if he has an idea?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 10:11:41 »

You can buy them with installation included (not shopped for best price, just e.g)

https://store.nest.com/uk/product/thermostat/T3028GBBI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Hive-Heating-Thermostat-Professional-Installation/B011B3J6F4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544177938&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hive+with+installation&psc=1

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 10:50:25 »

Ta, ours is the same sort of thing with a combi boiler on demand water, will have a speak to the sparky and see if he has an idea?

Your problem there is that technically the sparky needs to be Gas Safe registered to remove the boiler cover and wire in the receiver.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 2, 2020, 12:33:35 »

Your problem there is that technically the sparky needs to be Gas Safe registered to remove the boiler cover and wire in the receiver.

To bump this we went with a Nest and its been great so far (sparky has a mate who is a Gas Safe and they sorted it between them).

Now getting constant emails from suppliers about going over to smart meters, apart from not having to read the bloody thing is there any benefit or cons, an internet search seems to lead to lots of elderly men with tin foil hats being terrified of them?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 2, 2020, 12:55:39 »

To bump this we went with a Nest and its been great so far (sparky has a mate who is a Gas Safe and they sorted it between them).

Now getting constant emails from suppliers about going over to smart meters, apart from not having to read the bloody thing is there any benefit or cons, an internet search seems to lead to lots of elderly men with tin foil hats being terrified of them?

I keep getting stuff on having a smart meter fitted.... my take is that I already keep my usage to a minimum, by the simple process of, for example, turning on the heat when it is cold, turning on the lights, in the room I'm in, when it is dark etc.

So a case of if it's not broken...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 2, 2020, 13:02:08 »

Correct, had nothing but trouble from ours, only worked when it wanted to,  ok when it did though,  but do you need something to tell you you're using more electricity when the kettles on than it is when it's off ?.   Electric bill seemed to increase,  not sure if this had anything to do with the meter had it investigated but as always 'we can find no fault' was the result,  so last time it went off we didn't bother to report it, can't say as we miss it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: