Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Reg Smeeton Memorial Community Engagement Thread  (Read 71808 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:13:30 »

But this is about the specific case raised by Davis that there were loads of examples of Wellens and players going into schools delivering talks  and taking training sessions..
*Sigh* I used that players and Wellens going into schools as one example of community engagement. And backed it up with an example of them doing it. The broader discussion was always that you claimed the club weren't engaging with the community, you've been pelted with examples of it and rather than admit you're wrong, you're trying to narrow it down to a hair-splitting argument as to whether I'd said an example or "loads" - you even quoted the bit you're claiming says "loads" and it doesn't. Then when you're called out on it, you start crying about "bullying" because people have had the temerity to point out you're talking shite. Just accept you made a point you thought at the time was valid but that you actually can't stand up because there were other things happening you weren't aware of. That's not a terrible thing to admit, it happens all the time to everyone. That's how we learn new stuff.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:28:15 »

*Sigh* I used that players and Wellens going into schools as one example of community engagement. And backed it up with an example of them doing it. The broader discussion was always that you claimed the club weren't engaging with the community, you've been pelted with examples of it and rather than admit you're wrong, you're trying to narrow it down to a hair-splitting argument as to whether I'd said an example or "loads" - you even quoted the bit you're claiming says "loads" and it doesn't. Then when you're called out on it, you start crying about "bullying" because people have had the temerity to point out you're talking shite. Just accept you made a point you thought at the time was valid but that you actually can't stand up because there were other things happening you weren't aware of. That's not a terrible thing to admit, it happens all the time to everyone. That's how we learn new stuff.

Your exact word was "plenty" To me that implies more than one or two, then the need for hysterics, trying to pull in imagined support from others who so say have posted up examples... I'm more than happy to accept what I'm saying is erroneous, namely I still don't see plenty of examples of players going into schools and delivering talks and training sessions as you aver.

We could learn new stuff about STFC if Power held a fan's forum.... he could even get the Supporters Club and Trust involved with talk about how the joint purchase and share issue is coming along
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:31:34 »

So, apart from the Fans Forum, what else is missing Reg?

I can see evidence, through online reporting, of the players and coaches being out and about at schools, attending events at the club and FITC, doing the usual Christmas pressie at a hospital gig, accepting school visits to the ground and having players/management available, giving away season tickets at schools and having an entire match given over to kids to get involved.  It doesn't matter who organises each of these, the availability and being involved delivers engagement with the local community.

What else are they suppose to do?  They do have a job, so you'd hope they spend some time training and stuff as well.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:37:45 »

I give up. OK Reg, you win, none of the dozen or so* examples of players and management team engaging with young fans in schools, giving out season tickets to schools, grassroots training sessions, FitC half term clubs, Junior Christmas party, free/cheap tickets for U11s for designated games, FanZones before games etc etc etc count as community engagement and they're all evil bastards who hate kids. It's almost like some people don't *want* to acknowledge when the club make an effort.  

* I've not counted them by the way so please do go back and count them all and then pull me up for another 3 pages if it turns out it's 11 or 14 or whatever
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:43:30 »

I was thinking we need a checklist, so we can check them off and confirm.

School visits - Croft & Drove for sure, any more?
Schools visiting the club - Goddard Park, any more?
Events - Junior Reds Christmas Party
Coaching - FITC events, RobinsFC U14 coaching evening
Tickets - season ticket giveaway, Walsall match, other one off's
Matchday - Fanzone - players available not in matchday squad
Open Day - delivered
Christmas gift wrapping & delivery at Hospital - in progress
Fans Forum - Nothing planned
AGM - dead as a duck

I am sure there are more examples than the above that can be added, usually schools do a fair bit with the club that never reaches the press, but parents know about it.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:00:12 by RobertT » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:47:49 »

So, apart from the Fans Forum, what else is missing Reg?

I can see evidence, through online reporting, of the players and coaches being out and about at schools, attending events at the club and FITC, doing the usual Christmas pressie at a hospital gig, accepting school visits to the ground and having players/management available, giving away season tickets at schools and having an entire match given over to kids to get involved.  It doesn't matter who organises each of these, the availability and being involved delivers engagement with the local community.

What else are they suppose to do?  They do have a job, so you'd hope they spend some time training and stuff as well.

Here's Morfuni about communication Sept 18......

Whilst we're talking, it's good. Communication is key, if we don't communicate with people they will take their own view on what is going on

There you have it in a nutshell.... although improvements have been made, it's why you end up being ranked 92 of 92 for fan engagement.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:48:37 »

Coaching - FITC events
Open Day - delivered
AGM - dead as a duck

I am sure there are more examples than the above that can be added, usually schools do a fair bit with the club that never reaches the press, but parents know about it.
Coaching - Wellens and Hunt gave up their own time on a Friday night to help coach a local U14 side.
http://robinsfc.co.uk/show_news_report.php?reportId=20191025_RichieWellensTrainingRobins
I only happen to know about that because I used to be involved with the club, receieved no publicity other than the club's own website AFAIK so there may well be other examples where they've done the same with other local clubs
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 14:59:37 »

Reg, nobody is arguing that bar was set low in previous years.  You quote something from Sept 18, it's over a year ago, we are using evidence in 2019 to show a change appears to have happened for the better, you know, improvement!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:18:59 »

Reg, nobody is arguing that bar was set low in previous years.  You quote something from Sept 18, it's over a year ago, we are using evidence in 2019 to show a change appears to have happened for the better, you know, improvement!

And for which the sample surveyed appear to have been the fb group, which is less than representative of the average fan's view of the club. Alternative facts when it suits?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:38:03 »

And for which the sample surveyed appear to have been the fb group, which is less than representative of the average fan's view of the club. Alternative facts when it suits?

Again no.... the data used on the survey quoted publically available sources..... FB site is private ie sign up.

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:39:33 »

Reg isn't even prepared to acknowledge that any point of view other than his own has any validity, so it's hardly surprising that when he is wrong he gets (even more) anal and pedantic rather than simply saying "ok fair point".

I decided some time ago to stop wasting my time trying to engage with him.  

It's not a decision that has ruined my life.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:50:49 »

Again no.... the data used on the survey quoted publically available sources..... FB site is private ie sign up.

Not sure where I got that from - didn't someone mention the questionnaire had been circulated there? Perhaps the researcher signed up.

Or the other possibility is that I am entirely wrong. See, that was easy.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:53:05 »

Reg isn't even prepared to acknowledge that any point of view other than his own has any validity, so it's hardly surprising that when he is wrong he gets (even more) anal and pedantic rather than simply saying "ok fair point".

I decided some time ago to stop wasting my time trying to engage with him.  

It's not a decision that has ruined my life.

Classic.... back in the summer you asked the question when was the last time a cricketer had as much effect on an Ashes series as Steve Smith.... he of 2 test wins of 4 games played, in a drawn series.  I gave you an answer of Ian Bell..... the most runs by an Englishmen in a home 5 game Ashes series.... 3 hundreds all in winning tests and contributing to winning the urn.

By any reasonable person's judgement, historic excellence... I didn't even ask the question, just provided a clear and obvious answer.   

Your response.... it's a really dumb answer.

I'm glad you've stopped engaging as debate of that quality holds no interest to me.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:54:59 »

Reg, nobody is arguing that bar was set low in previous years.  You quote something from Sept 18, it's over a year ago,

A quote that actually doesn't say anything positive nor negative about communication at the club!

Coaching - FITC events, RobinsFC U14 coaching evening
Open Day - delivered
AGM - dead as a duck

But apart from that, what have Swindon Town Football Club ever done for us?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:57:30 »

Classic.... back in the summer you asked the question when was the last time a cricketer had as much effect on an Ashes series as Steve Smith.... he of 2 test wins of 4 games played, in a drawn series.  I gave you an answer of Ian Bell..... the most runs by an Englishmen in a home 5 game Ashes series.... 3 hundreds all in winning tests and contributing to winning the urn.

By any reasonable person's judgement, historic excellence... I didn't even ask the question, just provided a clear and obvious answer.   

Your response.... it's a really dumb answer.

I'm glad you've stopped engaging as debate of that quality holds no interest to me.

You really need to start getting out more, this constant trolling and 'I told you so three years ago' nonsesne is doing you no favours on here at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: