Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Reg Smeeton Memorial Community Engagement Thread  (Read 71846 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 14:48:44 »

However....

If you’re not a Facebook user, though, the data is less valuable.
Perhaps so, but it still gets used, mined and exploited by the likes of CA, which was your initial objection to using FB/Twitter. Log off quick! Smiley
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 16:05:17 »

I used to like the plain black writing on white background boards that were strategically placed outside newsagents etc to which headline banners were clipped.  Mostly it was something teasing to tempt you in, but always recall the  Shocked of seeing Ossie Ardiles appointed new manager.

I used to like a lunchtime loiter outside Debenhams to see if the Desert Rat Jimmy Wagstaff had his Adver deliveries.

Even in those days you could run up a phone bill dialling up Swindon Town Clubcall for the latest news. Remember slotting in the 50ps to get the score whilst at a Youth Hostel at Lulworth Cove during Ossie's first season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 23:21:20 »

All good stuff, but it's about getting them back.  This isn't easy.
Looks like they're still coming back

https://twitter.com/DrovePriSchool/status/1223720222189858816
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 23:22:40 »

And on the fan engagement front, I think a sell-out crowd for a Div 4 league fixture, not cup against Premiership side, not play-offs, just regular Div 4 fixture, shows quite considerable fan engagement. Whole town's buzzing about the club atm
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 23:30:59 »

You’d like to think the club will get decent recognition at the end of season awards this year and there’s clearly a lot of effort being put in.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, February 1, 2020, 23:39:31 »

You’d like to think the club will get decent recognition at the end of season awards this year and there’s clearly a lot of effort being put in.
tbh, I think the rewards are more in terms of things like the turnout today. As you say, clearly a lot of effort being put in. The club did a superb job capitalising on the "soap opera" around Yates and Doyle's return this week and it was rewarded with an extra 5,000 on the gate. That will go a long way to paying for the reported fee for Doyle by itself. Superb work.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 11:22:38 »

Is it the same kids? Or a different lot?.  Have to say I don't really scrutinise primary school websites, so will have to bow to your greater knowledge...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 13:19:33 »

They've done a few things with Drove, which is good.  Getting a close relationship with the nearby schools has to be a good thing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 13:45:33 »

They've done a few things with Drove, which is good.  Getting a close relationship with the nearby schools has to be a good thing.

I'm not sure why, unless it is in an educational context, like when the previous head of Drove was a Trustee of the Study Centre and due to proximity could easily allow the kids to benefit from the SC activities.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 14:17:24 »

I'm not sure why, unless it is in an educational context, like when the previous head of Drove was a Trustee of the Study Centre and due to proximity could easily allow the kids to benefit from the SC activities.

You’re not sure why it’s a good thing for the club to cultivate relationships with neighbouring schools? Oh FFS Reg

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 14:31:34 »

You’re not sure why it’s a good thing for the club to cultivate relationships with neighbouring schools? Oh FFS Reg

Yes. I'm not sure you understand the nature of how education is currently conducting in the English system.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 14:34:55 »

Have to say I'm equally baffled, and I am reasonably familiar with how the English education system is currently conducted, having two children still engaged in it and a partner who works in it. It's almost as if Reg just doesn't want to acknowledge the club might be doing anything right because it doesn't fit his thesis.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 14:53:58 »

Have to say I'm equally baffled, and I am reasonably familiar with how the English education system is currently conducted, having two children still engaged in it and a partner who works in it. It's almost as if Reg just doesn't want to acknowledge the club might be doing anything right because it doesn't fit his thesis.

As usual you miss the point.... EDUCATIONAL CONTEXT

The English system has become increasingly prescriptive over a number of years.... if for example the club wished to get involved as an educational resource with local schools it would involve setting up properly funded, resourced and staffed facilities, or set times whereby STFC funded staff would go into schools, for which the schools would probably pay unless it was funded by the club.  The school would need to justify it as delivering some aspect of the National Curriculum.

Where not talking doling out a few tickets here, although the school would probably stick that down to Ofsted as an  example of Community links, in much the same way as for Drove a visit to the Fire Station, Ambulance Station or Tesco.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 15:01:19 »

As usual you miss the point.... EDUCATIONAL CONTEXT
That wasn't the point. The point is fan/community engagement. Which the club are doing. In Droves (ha ha). Whether you want to admit it or not. Go on, admit the club are doing some good stuff here. It won't kill you.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 15:29:55 »

That wasn't the point.

The point is the club cannot do this unless it is done in a proper educational context... that would cost.  So doesn't and won't happen, unless something unlikely happens like government throwing a pot of money at it.  I'm not talking FiTC here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: