Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oldham pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 55929 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #270 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 17:36:53 »

The home performances are still worrying me a bit. We’ve played, and beat, some of the right old shite at home recently. Get one of the better sides here and we’ll struggle.

But we have played teams at the top.

We did not do well against them... but we are still top. That's all that matters.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 17:48:45 »

A lot of teams are going to come and play like that at our gaff. We dealt with Oldham.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:03:48 »

Oldham can be a very good side if they weren't so negative from the start. Time wasting from the kick off  No, Ill be pissed off if Town ever decided to play like that from the word go.
I'm surprised any Oldham player would agree to play that style.  Suicide

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:16:26 »

The home performances are still worrying me a bit. We’ve played, and beat, some of the right old shite at home recently. Get one of the better sides here and we’ll struggle.

If we can keep racking up the wins v the lower orders of Div 4, then we can maybe afford a few draws against the upper echelons, of the current sides directly below us, we've visited 4 of them.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:26:06 »

Quote from: blinkpip
Oldham can be a very good side if they weren't so negative from the start. Time wasting from the kick off  No, Ill be pissed off if Town ever decided to play like that from the word go.
I'm surprised any Oldham player would agree to play that style.  Suicide

Their tactics at times made Paul Hart look adventurous by comparison
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:27:35 »

Flash's stinky guts got us through that.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:37:10 »

If we can keep racking up the wins v the lower orders of Div 4, then we can maybe afford a few draws against the upper echelons, of the current sides directly below us, we've visited 4 of them.

I think it's also easy for some to forget sometimes that when playing teams in the, let's say bottom six, they can be just as difficult matches and very poignant wins. For they need the points too.

This season does change a little in that sense, since only one will go down but 3pts are just as valuable wherever they come from.

Let's say we will be on 46pts after 23 games. You like to mention that we tend to do worse in the second half (some could argue this is down to games:weeks ratio as well as fatigue creeping in, amongst lots of other factors) of the season. If we were to only replicate the first half at a rate of 50% it would see us finish on 69pts. I think, with this season being so tight in the PO spots currently (due to inconsistency I believe), that 69pts would obtain the final PO spot.

Still, Morecambe could mathematically get to 90pts yet so keeping our feet on the ground, we're currently nearly halfway to securing football league safety Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
stfcinbmth

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:48:05 »

20 yards out on the angle.

You watching on iFollow JJ? If so what VPN you using?

Hello by the way, long time no see. Hope you're ok  Embarrassed
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 18:57:01 »

A lot of teams are going to come and play like that at our gaff. We dealt with Oldham.
Absolutely. And it's sometimes as hard to beat the lower sides who sit in and try not to give anything away as it can be to deal with better sides playing more football, so giving you something to work with.
Flash's stinky guts got us through that.
And your masterstroke "double negative", offsetting Wellens' manager of the month award with your usually doom-laden presence. Take the credit where it's due.

Only 11 points off the magic 53 needed for safety now!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 19:17:24 »

Woolerys goal was the first goal by an STFC contracted player since Keshi Anderson on 14th September.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 19:31:00 »

I think it's also easy for some to forget sometimes that when playing teams in the, let's say bottom six, they can be just as difficult matches and very poignant wins. For they need the points too.

This season does change a little in that sense, since only one will go down but 3pts are just as valuable wherever they come from.

Let's say we will be on 46pts after 23 games. You like to mention that we tend to do worse in the second half (some could argue this is down to games:weeks ratio as well as fatigue creeping in, amongst lots of other factors) of the season. If we were to only replicate the first half at a rate of 50% it would see us finish on 69pts. I think, with this season being so tight in the PO spots currently (due to inconsistency I believe), that 69pts would obtain the final PO spot.

Still, Morecambe could mathematically get to 90pts yet so keeping our feet on the ground, we're currently nearly halfway to securing football league safety Smiley

PO's are no use to us, it's auto or bust. ATM we are developing the habit of winning without necessarily being at our best, this is exactly what's needed, but uncertainty over what January will bring still means we shouldn't get too excited.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 19:40:25 »

Lincoln were masters at picking up wins last season when not playing well so if we can emulate them and are lucky with injuries we should make the top three
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 19:57:46 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 19:40:32 »

If you can’t get excited when you are top the league and have had 7 wins on the spin, football probably isn’t for you.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:25:03 by Quagmire » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:01:42 »

If you can’t get excited when you are top the league and have had 7 wins on the spin football probably isn’t for you.

Correct, and this certainly applies to 1 or 2 posters on this thread.

We scored a couple of lovely goals today, Oldham didn’t work our keeper, and the win was therefore fully justified. Roll on Christmas time.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:04:42 »

PO's are no use to us, it's auto or bust. ATM we are developing the habit of winning without necessarily being at our best, this is exactly what's needed, but uncertainty over what January will bring still means we shouldn't get too excited.
Bit optimistic (spolling) for you Reg
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: